Ex-PM Somchai resorts to magic rite at a temple to ward off his bad luck

webfact

Former PM Somchai advised “let it be” after resorting to magic rite to ward off bad luck in a night dream

31-7-2558-13-23-13-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawasdi yesterday resorted to magic rite at a temple in Chiang Mai to ward off his bad luck.

The former prime minister had a bad dream in a night and after waking up, was very worried that his bad dream could come true, according to Matichon Online website today.

Matichon reported that the former prime minister, relatives and some followers, came to see Phra Khru Sirisilsangwora or Khru Banoi Tejapanyo, abbot of Wat Sri Donmul in Tambon Chompoo of Sarapee district, Chiang Mai province before noon yesterday.

He reportedly told the well-known abbot that he felt very uncomfortably after having a bad dream Wednesday night.

He then decided to come to the abbot for advice and instruction because he felt very distracted so that he might feel relieved of his distraction, worry and unhappiness.

The abbot then advised that a magic rite be performed to drive away all evils and bad lucks from him.

Phra Khru Banoi Tejapanyo then performed a magic rite by anointing gold leaves at nine locations on his body – face, forehead, right and left cheeks, palms, and then used the sacred stick of the late Luang Poo Tim to touch all the nine locations in his body and head along with chanting a pray.

The abbot then gave him a statute of Phra Khru Banoi and tied his wrists with red ropes.

After the rites, the former prime minister told reporters that he was now 68 years old and he had dreamed of something on Wednesday night which caused him to feel worry and very uncomfortable.

He felt very distracted with fear that his dream would come true.

He then decided to see the abbot for his advice.

He said the abbot gave him “to think good, speak good, and let it be.”

He added that the abbot’s advice has made him relieved of the worry and now he felt better.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-pm-somchai-advised-let-it-be-after-resorting-to-magic-rite-to-ward-off-bad-luck-in-a-night-dream

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-31

"Former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawasdi yesterday resorted to magic rite at a temple in Chiang Mai to ward off his bad luck.

The former prime minister had a bad dream in a night and after waking up, was very worried that his bad dream could come true"

Does the temple have a rite to ward off stupidity?

"Former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawasdi yesterday resorted to magic rite at a temple in Chiang Mai to ward off his bad luck.

The former prime minister had a bad dream in a night and after waking up, was very worried that his bad dream could come true"

Does the temple have a rite to ward off stupidity?

That will cost you extra and more than likely give you a headache. I think in the Tom Hanks movie Angels& Demons they used a flail. Maybe flailing oneself would ward off stupidity or would that be just plain stupid and of course painful.

Stories like this remind us farang of just how backward attitudes and beliefs can be in Thailand sometimes - especially red-shirts red-necks from out in the boonies.

I can live with that as far as it goes, but the thing which amazes me the most is how sure they are that they are right. Even down to spirits in the trees.

I suppose ignorance really is bliss. They all seem happy with it.

Yep. Political leaders using magic to guide them. Unbelievable! And publicly proud of doing this. Double unbelievable!

How's it any different that leaders in the west going into various kinds of churches and praying to an unseen god (and in the case of Christians, his human son who rose from the dead and walked on water) and asking him (them?) for all the stuff they want?

One group calls it magic and another calls it the power of the holy spirit (aka holy ghost)...

Same same...

Yep. Political leaders using magic to guide them. Unbelievable! And publicly proud of doing this. Double unbelievable!

How's it any different that leaders in the west going into various kinds of churches and praying to an unseen god (and in the case of Christians, his human son who rose from the dead and walked on water) and asking him (them?) for all the stuff they want?

One group calls it magic and another calls it the power of the holy spirit (aka holy ghost)...

Same same...

And don't forget Ronald Reagan....

While reading this story, I couldn't help but think about the other ongoing topic about nuclear power coming to Thailand.

Exactly the same here.............Could anyone imagine his finger on the nuclear button after a bad nights sleep. That's why N Korea is such a problem- although I don't know whether they believe in witch doctors etc.

Same same...

No it's not.

While I agree all religion is nothing more than fairy tales this is not what is going on here.

What this man did is akin to a christian leader of a country consulting fortune tellers or other such charlatans to explain their dreams.

In effect BS that should not be considered part of the faith.

And any one doing it deserves to be ridiculed.

Edited by Bluespunk

While reading this story, I couldn't help but think about the other ongoing topic about nuclear power coming to Thailand.

I couldn't help thinking about a posting the other day about someone who was arrested for selling "fake" magic amulets.

Most level headed people would read this crap and laugh......but in Thailand........it pretty much sums up the level of inteligence of Thai politicians...whether they be military or the typical Thai public..........magic rules......!!

It'd be funny if it wasn't so freakin' serious!!

Do they really need to prove their 3rd world standards on every level on a weekly base?

What did this guy study hocus-pocus, hand clapping, thainess, and houdinism?

That makes me even more scared of the morons who voted for him.

Buddha would be very proud of a Buddhist abbot practicing voodoo and a former leader of an entire nation who is such an (you know what).

Edited by Lupatria

Stories like this remind us farang of just how backward attitudes and beliefs can be in Thailand sometimes - especially red-shirts red-necks from out in the boonies.

I can live with that as far as it goes, but the thing which amazes me the most is how sure they are that they are right. Even down to spirits in the trees.

I suppose ignorance really is bliss. They all seem happy with it.

Is this really any different from a first world leader saying something like "I prayed to God and he told me what to do"?

Same same...

Same same. A Christian praying in a church is acting directly against the instructions of the bible to not pray in public, and a Buddhist having spells put on him is acting directly against the teachings of Buddha who forbid the acceptance of the 'low arts'.