Thai Industry Minister not fearful of trade embargo by US

webfact

Industry Minister not fearful of trade embargo by US

BANGKOK, 31 July 2015 (NNT) - The Minister of Industry says Thailand has no reason to fear a trade embargo by the United States following Thailand’s second consecutive year as a tier 3 nation in the US’s annual Trafficking in Persons report.

Industry Minister Chakramon Phasukavanich assured the public that Thailand has been making continued progress in tackling human trafficking activities within its borders. Although the United States will keep Thailand on tier 3 until the next annual report, Mr Chakramon says trade relations between the two countries are still strong. He did note however that Thailand has recently exported less seafood and raw materials to the United States due to Thailand’s expansion in the Chinese market.

As for the state of the country’s economy, the Minister of Industry cited a drop in both import and export numbers, although it has yet to affect the country’s GDP. The country also maintains an abundance of cash reserves to fund its various projects and services.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-31 footer_n.gif

It will not just be seafood, if there is a ban. It will cover all finished products made with parts manufactured or assembled in Thailand. And that would mean things shipped to China for re-export to the US would be included as well. Better think real carefully on this one.

They just have to show a brave face.....if the US does install any trade sanctions on Thailand, the outcome will be that exporters will lose....from this ministers statement, I would say he doesn't give a pigs tit what happens.....as long as he keeps his monthly salary!

Some time its knowing when to keep your head down and say nothing,

saying you don't fear a trade embargo by the US,is either extremely

brave or or crazy,and in this case its the later.

regards Worgeordie

If he's not fearful, not even a little bit then he's just not been paying attention.

The community of first-world democracies takes a dim view of its younger brothers in the 3rd-world misbehaving and thinking everyone else are idiots who'll swallow any old manure.

He did note however that Thailand has recently exported less seafood and raw materials to the United States due to Thailand’s expansion in the Chinese market.

Well Thailand, since you are doing so good in the Chinese market then a drop in exports to the U.S. and other countries (except China) will have no impact on you.

Nothing negatively impacts Thailand....something positive "always" offsets anything negative. A charmed life Thailand does lead indeed.

"the Minister of Industry cited a drop in both import and export numbers, although it has yet to affect the country’s GDP."

On the other hand we have from MR Pridiyathorn Devakula, deputy prime minister in charge of the economy:

"Thailand's exports have contracted by around 5 per cent in the first six months ... a 5 per cent contraction in the [export] sector would already contributes to a subtraction of around 2.5-2.6 per cent from the overall GDP." The Nation 2015-07-29

and from Minister of Finance Sommai Phasee:

"... the second half of the year would underperform the first half, pushing this year’s economic growth down to 2.6 percent. He blamed the troubled export sector." 2015-07-16

It seems the Minister of Industry has no basic understanding about the importance of exports for a nation's economic health. But then neither Pridiyathorn or Sommai have produced any successful economic policies either. This cabinet is the blind leading the blind.

Instead of recognizing the problem and to solve it,

they deny, renounce, defray, dispute and trivialize the problem.

The minister seems to have no experience on the international stage.

That is only because the average Thai forget what they read or hear so to them this article is factual and up to date.

" He did note however that Thailand has recently exported less seafood and raw materials to the United States due to Thailand’s expansion in the Chinese market."

Interesting statement.

The U.S. has not banned Thai seafood yet and should, But I know many Americans that are boycotting Thai seafood ( mostly shrimp ) because of slavery on Thai fishing boats.

post-147745-0-74114200-1438390059_thumb.

somehow i think if the US will put a embargo up the EU will follow .... and then they would be <deleted> and they know that.

Are you sure they know about it..I doubt it I rather think they can't even find them on a map...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/opinion/sunday/thai-seafood-is-contaminated-by-human-trafficking.html?_r=0

Mr. Chakramon is apparently putting his faith in the country's latest sponsor. Accordingly, he's demonstrating a belief that any EU/US sanctions will be deftly fielded and effectively neutralized by his friends to the north. He may be disappointed.

Very interesting from TPP negotiations in Hawaii "Japan and the United States had been trying to agree on the rules of origin for cars, which determine when a product is designated as coming from within the free-trade zone and therefore not subject to duties.

Japanese automakers source many car parts from Thailand, which is not a member of the TPP, and strict rules would upset existing supply chains."

Thailand may be very lucky and indirectly benefit from the TPP, as it appears they have Japan on their side (through circumstances). Or they may be very unlucky and Japanese car manufacturers may pull out of Thailand (I think this is very unlikely).

Land of Denial ... The smiles are fading away ...

Ban after ban from US and EU will have to force this Junta to do something about this mess so please PM, forget about Lottery-prices and Bike for Mom, there are more important Things to take care of

" He did note however that Thailand has recently exported less seafood and raw materials to the United States due to Thailand’s expansion in the Chinese market."

Interesting statement.

The U.S. has not banned Thai seafood yet and should, But I know many Americans that are boycotting Thai seafood ( mostly shrimp ) because of slavery on Thai fishing boats.

attachicon.gifWe-must-have-luxury-fish--012.jpg

The overwhelming majority of shrimp in Thailand is produced via aquaculture i.e. farmed prawns.

Not too may slaves involved I believe.

Possibly couple of house trained farang though.

That many Americans (I guess you mean US citizens) are boycotting Thai seafood is hardly surprising.

Most would be shocked to realise steak comes from cattle and not a supermarket.

My ex USA born and bred girlfriend was.

Edited by Mudcrab

somehow i think if the US will put a embargo up the EU will follow .... and then they would be <deleted> and they know that.

Somehow I think the US will put up a lot of bluff and bluster.

The strategic importance of Thailand, given the rise of China, far exceeds the political will to actually do something - the military know this and the US policies will adapt to suit.

Somehow I think the US will put up a lot of bluff and bluster.

The strategic importance of Thailand, given the rise of China, far exceeds the political will to actually do something - the military know this and the US policies will adapt to suit.

And what pray, is this amazing strategic importance? Facts mind, no generalisations, no fantasy, nominalisations. no straw men and no diversions. You made a claim so let's see if you can justify it.

Why is he not fearful about trade embargo with your #1 export country. He is worried but hopes the United States takes no actions against Thailand. But has to through in about fish trade with China. I hope you mouth does not get your ass in trouble!

Instead of recognizing the problem and to solve it,

they deny, renounce, defray, dispute and trivialize the problem.

The minister seems to have no experience on the international stage.

They don't.....they're soldiers....no idea about anything.....!!

"the Minister of Industry cited a drop in both import and export numbers, although it has yet to affect the country’s GDP."

On the other hand we have from MR Pridiyathorn Devakula, deputy prime minister in charge of the economy:

"Thailand's exports have contracted by around 5 per cent in the first six months ... a 5 per cent contraction in the [export] sector would already contributes to a subtraction of around 2.5-2.6 per cent from the overall GDP." The Nation 2015-07-29

and from Minister of Finance Sommai Phasee:

"... the second half of the year would underperform the first half, pushing this year’s economic growth down to 2.6 percent. He blamed the troubled export sector." 2015-07-16

It seems the Minister of Industry has no basic understanding about the importance of exports for a nation's economic health. But then neither Pridiyathorn or Sommai have produced any successful economic policies either. This cabinet is the blind leading the blind.

Cabinet Ministers making contradictory statements and having different numbers. Seems like a familiar pantomime. Like the last several years repeating itself.

Of course not afraid. Thailand has never been colonized. So there! USA just big dumb West country that can't possibly understand Thailand. Only Thai understand. Farang stupid

Edited by jerojero