One Way Ticket - Entry/visa Issues

I have a UK passport but am currently in Australia. I want to get a one way ticket to Thailand as I'm not sure how long I'm going to stay there yet. The travel agencies are telling me I can't enter Thailand unless I have a flight booked to leave within 30 days (the duration of the tourist visa). Is this right or are they just trying to get me to book another flight with them. I want to stay longer than the 30 days if possible (probably by doing the visa run to one of the borders) and I don't want to book a flight out until I know how long I'm going to stay - Can anyone suggest a way around this?

Cheers

Dai

I have a UK passport but am currently in Australia. I want to get a one way ticket to Thailand as I'm not sure how long I'm going to stay there yet. The travel agencies are telling me I can't enter Thailand unless I have a flight booked to leave within 30 days (the duration of the tourist visa). Is this right or are they just trying to get me to book another flight with them. I want to stay longer than the 30 days if possible (probably by doing the visa run to one of the borders) and I don't want to book a flight out until I know how long I'm going to stay - Can anyone suggest a way around this?

Cheers

Dai

Two options I know are: 1. Buy really cheap ticket on Air Asia or Jet* or Tiger out of Bangkok to KL/SIN or wherever out of the country. This way you have proof of onward travel. Should cost like 50 USD or so if you book enough in advance. Then you can just trash it. Option 2 is buy a fully refundable fare out, so when you want to change it you can.

Dan

You only need a return ticket if you arrive without a visa and obtain a 30 day non-visa stay. Another option is to obtain a tourist visa in Australia (good for 60 days and extendable in Thailand for another 30). A return ticket is not required if you hold a tourist visa.

By the way, Thai immigration will not ask to see your return ticket when you arrive at Bangkok but the airlines will not let you board if you do not meet immigration rules

You only need a return ticket if you arrive without a visa and obtain a 30 day non-visa stay. Another option is to obtain a tourist visa in Australia (good for 60 days and extendable in Thailand for another 30). A return ticket is not required if you hold a tourist visa.

By the way, Thai immigration will not ask to see your return ticket when you arrive at Bangkok but the airlines will not let you board if you do not meet immigration rules

Hi, I am going to Thailand this October, i'm from the Philippines.I would like to apply for a tourist visa because i don't like the go on a visa run every 30 days.When I talked to Thai embassy here, one requirment should bea palne ticket and hotel booking.You said that it is not required to have a return ticket if I hold a tourist visa, so this means that i only have to book for a one-way flight?Is this correct?

thanks

joan

I would like to apply for a tourist visa because i don't like the go on a visa run every 30 days.When I talked to Thai embassy here, one requirment should bea palne ticket and hotel booking.

From the web site of the Foreign Ministry of Thailand:

TOURIST VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

In other words, your embassy/consulate can request any documents or proof they choose, and they can request different things from different applicants for the same type of visa.

---------------

Maestro

When you get to the airport sign the standard waiver to say you will not hold the airline responsible if you can't enter the country.
Briley, at this stage Joan is applying for a Tourist Visa, not trying to board a plane for Bangkok.

---------------

Maestro

i've already bought a one-way ticket from paris - on the web; wasn't given any trouble or asked any questions.

as it happens i do have a non immigrant o visa. i assume there is absolutely no-one who had any problem getting on a plane in such circumstances - or should i be ready to tackle any questions? by showing them my visa or offering to sign the waiver or some other rejoinder...?

You would assume wrong. If you are not looking like a terrorist (they use one way tickets) you may well have to go to the next level even with a visa as often the ticket agent will not feel they have the authority to let you board. Although in the end you should be able to fly.

That said the new IATA guidance for Thailand visa free entry does not require onward ticket; it only suggests it. So perhaps there will be less questions asked in the future then there were in the past.

Hi, I am going to Thailand this October, i'm from the Philippines.I would like to apply for a tourist visa because i don't like the go on a visa run every 30 days.When I talked to Thai embassy here, one requirment should bea palne ticket and hotel booking.You said that it is not required to have a return ticket if I hold a tourist visa, so this means that i only have to book for a one-way flight?Is this correct?

thanks

joan

Hello Joan,

I have been with my Philippine girlfriend to the Thai Embassy there in Makati/Manila in March and we were handed a small paper with the requested documents for a Tourist Visa. I organised all the documents including return ticket (valid one year cost about Peso 30000) and my girfriend went again in July to apply for this visa. After one day waiting the application was denied. As reason was stated that she might work here in Thailand. Quote "Might" work. No other reason given. So she came here (Phuket) with visitors visa and after new rules we have to seek for the way for her to stay.

Would be interested if you got the Tourist visa

Cheers

Dai

I once flew to Thailand from London with a one way ticket as I too was unsure as to how long my stay would be. I have friends who work offshore who do things this way and have never had any problems in the past.

The airline I was using (forget which one) turned out to be sharing a check-in desk with the dreaded BA. I did point out that I had a 60day tourist visa but was still refused to get on the plane unless I brought a return ticket (with BA). It was never suggested to me that I could just buy a ticket to another SEA country so I purchased said ticket, fully refundable at the cost of £1000. Fortunatly I had that sort of money in my debit card account so wasnt too much of a problem, except a trip to BA's Bangkok office to obtain the refund.

Thanks for the help everyone. I've been to the Thai consulate today and got a 90 day renewable on re-entry non-immigrant visa so hopefully that should cover it, if worse comes to worse I'll have to buy a forwarding ticket at the airport and get it refunded.

Cheers

Dai

Hello Joan,

I have been with my Philippine girlfriend to the Thai Embassy there in Makati/Manila in March and we were handed a small paper with the requested documents for a Tourist Visa. I organised all the documents including return ticket (valid one year cost about Peso 30000) and my girfriend went again in July to apply for this visa. After one day waiting the application was denied. As reason was stated that she might work here in Thailand. Quote "Might" work. No other reason given. So she came here (Phuket) with visitors visa and after new rules we have to seek for the way for her to stay.

Would be interested if you got the Tourist visa

Hi,

According to the Thai embassy here in if i apply for a tourist visa i need to present a letter of invitation coming from my friend who is legally working there for 2 years now.her valid passport with the work permit that indicates the validity date.I need to submit this together with the plane ticket, the application form, plus a bank certificate with at least P26, 000 (U$500 approximately).But at the end of the inquiry the officer did not assure me of getting a tourist visa.I said that i am presently working here and that my stay in Thailand was becasue i want to look for a school to study TEFL. May I ask what documents did you submit?I find the employees here a little arrogant and not that customer-service oriented.

thanks, hope it adds a little info

joan

I cant see hopw travel agencies can "enforce" you having to purchase a return ticket - doesnt add up.

What about the cases of guys who are joining up as yacht crew with a yacht currently in Thailand - as quite often is the case. What do they do - how can they verify and confirm or deny that?

I dont buy it i.e. travel agencies are in no position to force you to purchase a return ticket, and if they ask questions, just say you are joinging up with a boat in Thailand. If you have problem send me a PM message - I'll give you a letter saying you are joing up with me in Phuket on my yacht as a crew member.

As for it been checked this side (i.e. when you arrive at Bangkok airport_ - never, I have never known anyone been asked to produce a return ticket or the Immigration ofcier checking to see you have a return ticket - all they look at is your passport to see you are eligable for entry. If they start looking at everyones ticket they'll havea ques leading back to the plane.

Tim

Cheers

Dai

Two options I know are: 1. Buy really cheap ticket on Air Asia or Jet* or Tiger out of Bangkok to KL/SIN or wherever out of the country. This way you have proof of onward travel. Should cost like 50 USD or so if you book enough in advance. Then you can just trash it. Option 2 is buy a fully refundable fare out, so when you want to change it you can.

Dan

I cant see hopw travel agencies can "enforce" you having to purchase a return ticket - doesnt add up.

Airlines can, and will, deny boarding to passengers who cannot show either onward air travel within 30 days OR a valid visa (any type).

The airlines are fined heavily should a passenger be denied entry to the Kingdom.

Airlines can, and will, deny boarding to passengers who cannot show either onward air travel within 30 days OR a valid visa (any type).

The airlines are fined heavily should a passenger be denied entry to the Kingdom.

Crossy ... are they FINED? or just responsible for returning the person to their departure point OR country oforigin?

Thai immigration rules say that persons entering the Kingdom on the 30 day visa waiver must have an onward ticket.

I know that many people have entered without such a ticket, and I don't know of anyone who has ever been asked to produce such a ticket at Thai immigration.

However, with the current crack down on visa runs, will this situation continue?

Airlines can, and will, refuse to carry you if there is a chance that you will be denied entry. If you were to be refused entry then not only would they have to bear the cost of returning you from whence you came, they would also, as Crossy says, be heavily fined.

From the Air Transport Users Council Passports, Visas and Photo ID

Do not be confused by the fact that airlines tend routinely to ask to see passengers' passports at check-in. This will be to check that the passenger checking in is the one named on the ticket (usually for security reasons), or to protect the airline against being fined for carrying a passenger to a country without the passenger having the correct documents for entry. These checks are not to protect the passenger from the consequences of having incomplete documentation.

If you are refused boarding because your papers are not in order, you will have no come-back on the airline: if you were travelling on a non-refundable ticket you will not be entitled to get your money back. If you are accepted by the airline for travel, but nevertheless get refused entry at the country of destination, you cannot later blame the airline. Indeed, under the conditions of your travel, the airline could seek reimbursement from you of any costs it incurred as a result of your failure to have the right documents.

Up to you if you want to take the chance.

Edited by GU22

I am a British Non-Resident and I have never had a problem entering Thailand on a one way ticket……..the majority of the times I enter the Kingdom it is on the return leg of my journey.

My work takes me to the middle east, and I purchase a return ticket from Thailand, like I say I have never had any problems for the past 3 years of this practice…….I have however for the last year held a Non-immigrant O visa.

Desertcam :o

What about the cases of guys who are joining up as yacht crew with a yacht currently in Thailand - as quite often is the case. What do they do - how can they verify and confirm or deny that?

Just to reply on the crew-question:

Seaman Book (travelling on duty) accepted.

Visa not required.

Seaman must hold Letter of Guarantee from shipping company

stating following details:

1. In case of joining ship:

- name and sailing date of ship; and

- statement that seaman is crew member of that ship;

or

2. In case of disembarking ship:

- statement that seaman proceeds to airport for e.g.

repatriation; and

- holds tickets with reserved seats and all documents for

country of destination.

thanks

joan

It is impossible for a Filipina to fly out of the Philippines without a return ticket to the Philippines. Philippine immigration will not let you out of the country. So the Thai Embassy in the Philippines also adopts this requirement.

The Thai Embassy in Manila is one of the worst government offices that I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. I am an American citizen and I was denied a tourist visa from the Thai Embassy in the Manila because I did not have a return ticket to the Philippines. The fact that I had a valid one year open ticket out of Thailand to travel to Singapore was not regarded as sufficient.

I am a British Non-Resident and I have never had a problem entering Thailand on a one way ticket……..the majority of the times I enter the Kingdom it is on the return leg of my journey.

My work takes me to the middle east, and I purchase a return ticket from Thailand, like I say I have never had any problems for the past 3 years of this practice…….I have however for the last year held a Non-immigrant O visa.

Desertcam :o

As has been stated several times already, if you *have a visa* it is not a problem.

The problem occurs at check-in, for people who do not hold a visa and will therefore have to use the 30 day stamp on entry. The airline is held responsible if they let such a person fly without an onward air ticket.

Current MFA website requires an onward ticket for tourist visa. There is no such requirement for visa exempt entry currently listed that I can find. I also note that IATA information on the Delta Air website no longer lists an onward ticket as required but only as suggested. Conditions may have, or may soon, change.

2. TOURIST VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

• 2 months later...

thanks

joan

It is impossible for a Filipina to fly out of the Philippines without a return ticket to the Philippines. Philippine immigration will not let you out of the country. So the Thai Embassy in the Philippines also adopts this requirement.

The Thai Embassy in Manila is one of the worst government offices that I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. I am an American citizen and I was denied a tourist visa from the Thai Embassy in the Manila because I did not have a return ticket to the Philippines. The fact that I had a valid one year open ticket out of Thailand to travel to Singapore was not regarded as sufficient.

one advice just don't go to the thai embassy without the complete documents.i saw one american applying fo a tourist visa but he has no bank certificate,he was ask to make an online inquiry on his atm account.they are too strict there, even i, a filipino has doubts if they will issue me a visa, good thing they did.just go to the guy wearing glasses, not the gay one i think because most of the applicants was denied by this man.i happened to go to the man wearing glasses, kind i think and i got my visa.this is an advice for people who wants to go to the phil to get their visa...

thanks