American Breakfast at Butter is Better (Set # 3)

Frank James

I had the American breakfast today at Butter is Better. Two eggs, home fries, real ham, real butter (soft so you can spread it without breaking through the bread and buttering your hand!) real jam, big toast, real OJ, large coffee. The eggs were PERFECTLY cooked with no runny stuff, no overcooked yolk and no burnt edges, which is very rarely achieved around here. The bread was large, fresh, and whole grain. The potatoes were excellent.

Price: 210 bt. Somewhat on the high side, relative to other local offerings, but for such quality of products and preparation quite reasonable. This is a fine establishment, long time stalwart in Chiang Mai. They have a big, varied menu, and I will return to try the Mac & Cheese. Almost ordered today after breakfast but...Gluttony is one of the 7 Deadly Sins.

I, too, really like their breakfasts but I have quit going there because I want coffee with breakfast.

The coffee may just be very weak, or maybe it's the beans, but it actually tastes to me like they dumped a few tea bags in with the coffee. So I ordered tea last time but a bag of Lipton wasn't an improvement.

Maybe some regular and valued customer could enlighten them - or me - about this blight on that fine diner.

edit: format

Edited by amexpat

Butter is better is far the greatest breakfast in All of chiang mai sometimes a bit far for me to drive just a shame about the lipton tea but there is pretty not much better choice in thailand as far as i know have looked in Ringping and tesco's trust me the best is the red label tea's i got back in the uk .

The thing is I like coffee. Tea drinkers usually put so much milk, sugar, water, I don't know what all, into coffee that it really doesn't matter what it started out as.

It's weak. Everything else is fine. Maybe I could bring a thermos of real coffee?

As i state again most of the Tea in Thailand is bad but lipton is the best of the lot but when i compare it to sainsbury red label that i drink at home here in thailand (someone sends me it ) then it does not taste as good i guess it's just that i was brought up on the stuff at least 7-10 cups a day when i was in ol blighty .

As i state again most of the Tea in Thailand is bad but lipton is the best of the lot but when i compare it to sainsbury red label that i drink at home here in thailand (someone sends me it ) then it does not taste as good i guess it's just that i was brought up on the stuff at least 7-10 cups a day when i was in ol blighty .

Dilmah brand premium Ceylon is a very drinkable tea. Twinings English Breakfast tea is almost so. Both are head and shoulders above Liptons. As a Tea-ist, I wouldn't mind paying the extra price for a good tea, but I doubt many customers would.

But let me be the first to praise the Muffaletta! Best I've had anywhere north of New Orleans! And only found in BisB in Chiang Mai. Keep up the good work!

Dilmah brand premium Ceylon is a very drinkable tea. Twinings English Breakfast tea is almost so. Both are head and shoulders above Liptons. As a Tea-ist, I wouldn't mind paying the extra price for a good tea, but I doubt many customers would.

But let me be the first to praise the Muffaletta! Best I've had anywhere north of New Orleans! And only found in BisB in Chiang Mai. Keep up the good work!

I'm equally surprised and delighted to hear that "hot muff" can be found on the menu anywhere here in Chiang Mai.

I'll be in for lunch tomorrow, assuming that "north of New Orleans" is some sort of colloquial figure of speech, and NOT a description of relative location.

central-grocery-muff.jpg

I, too, really like their breakfasts but I have quit going there because I want coffee with breakfast.

The coffee may just be very weak, or maybe it's the beans, but it actually tastes to me like they dumped a few tea bags in with the coffee. So I ordered tea last time but a bag of Lipton wasn't an improvement.

Maybe some regular and valued customer could enlighten them - or me - about this blight on that fine diner.

I think it's just what coffee is like in America. I went to a diner in the USA not too long ago for breakfast and it's pretty much the same as what BiB does. Unlimited refills through so you eventually do end up with enough caffeine, in theory.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'm equally surprised and delighted to hear that "hot muff" can be found on the menu anywhere here in Chiang Mai.

I'll be in for lunch tomorrow, assuming that "north of New Orleans" is some sort of colloquial figure of speech, and NOT a description of relative location.

It's a vegetarian version of your picture, and not exactly what you'll find in The Big Easy, but the taste is just fine! And as you say, there is nothing in Chiang Mai to come close to it!

Please, Winnie. You went to one out of a few million places that serve coffee in "America". Very varied.

Specifically a small town diner in the rural South, serving the type of food that BiB very authentically emulates.

Yes I know Starbucks and hipster coffee/sandwich places exist on the continent, also in those very same small towns. But if you're going for 'authentic American' then you gotta go with the diner menu.

Just like 'Authentic Thai' can't ever be ham & cheese springrolls with flowers on top, no matter how many trendy restaurants in Thailand go that route.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I agree that American coffee tends to be very weak - seven years in NY experience, but in fairness I was introduced to coffee in Turkey as a youngster where we lived for a couple of years and that really is strong stuff. I really like BisB - they do a good job. On tea - I am currently a ten cup a day minimum man, and enjoy Twining's Assam Bold (in a silver grey box -5 leaves rated ). With milk but no sugar. If tea can't turn the enamel on a cup black, it isn't worth drinking. But then I miss fried bread with marmalade - so I am a challenged person!

Edited by Mousehound

It's a vegetarian version of your picture, and not exactly what you'll find in The Big Easy, but the taste is just fine! And as you say, there is nothing in Chiang Mai to come close to it!

A vegetarian muffaletta? Heresy!

That's like serving a bun with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and onion and calling it a cheeseburger.

I have enjoyed their breakfasts 3-4 times a month for a couple years now. Usually have a couple or three eggs, whole wheat toast, crispy bacon, fresh orange juice. If I am really hungry I have a side of baked beans.

Not a fan of their breakfast potatoes tho, great orange juice! Excellent bakery products.

That's like serving a bun with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and onion and calling it a cheeseburger.

We ate lunch in BiB again today, and as usual it was absolutely delicious. This time paying closer attention, I noticed that you can add ham and Swiss cheese to the Muffaleta sandwich if you wish to. I did, just for a change of pace. My wife ordered the hot meatball sandwich and it, too, was delicious! But....

... with all due deference to the taste of the food, the service here is going to reduce the customer lists if it keeps up as we saw it today.

We sat down and a waitress came near the table with two menus in her hand, outstretched in the general direction of where we were sitting, and stood there looking off into space waiting and hoping someone on the other end might take them from her. I would have had to rise up in my seat to reach them. At no time did she even glance at us or our table. After about 10-15 seconds she turned to us wondering why we hadn't acquiesced to her subliminal message, and presented the menu directly towards us.

I ordered the Muffalleta and my wife, as I said, ordered the hot meatball sandwich. My wife ordered coffee and I ordered tea. Our (?) orders arrived quickly enough; two servings of Muffalleta and two cups of tea. No meatball sandwich and no coffee. Close.... In defense of the service, they changed everything quickly.

After eating, I decided I wanted some of their wonderful French Vanilla Ice Cream, called the waitress over, pointing to the picture of it in the menu, and asking for it in a dish rather than in a cone. 15 minutes later my wife asked me if they were making the ice cream to order. I raised my hand to signal the waitress, who smiled and promptly brought over the check. I suggested to her that bringing my order would be preferable to bringing the check. She looked at me like I had two heads and walked away, returning 2 minutes later with the ice cream and a muttered 'I'm sorry.'

Hey Mr. BiB... you've got great food and a wonderful menu. Now if you would just replace the brain-dead waitstaff with people who are customer-oriented, you'd have one of the best places in town!

We ate lunch in BiB again today, and as usual it was absolutely delicious. This time paying closer attention, I noticed that you can add ham and Swiss cheese to the Muffaleta sandwich if you wish to. I did, just for a change of pace. My wife ordered the hot meatball sandwich and it, too, was delicious! But....

... with all due deference to the taste of the food, the service here is going to reduce the customer lists if it keeps up as we saw it today.

We sat down and a waitress came near the table with two menus in her hand, outstretched in the general direction of where we were sitting, and stood there looking off into space waiting and hoping someone on the other end might take them from her. I would have had to rise up in my seat to reach them. At no time did she even glance at us or our table. After about 10-15 seconds she turned to us wondering why we hadn't acquiesced to her subliminal message, and presented the menu directly towards us.

I ordered the Muffalleta and my wife, as I said, ordered the hot meatball sandwich. My wife ordered coffee and I ordered tea. Our (?) orders arrived quickly enough; two servings of Muffalleta and two cups of tea. No meatball sandwich and no coffee. Close.... In defense of the service, they changed everything quickly.

After eating, I decided I wanted some of their wonderful French Vanilla Ice Cream, called the waitress over, pointing to the picture of it in the menu, and asking for it in a dish rather than in a cone. 15 minutes later my wife asked me if they were making the ice cream to order. I raised my hand to signal the waitress, who smiled and promptly brought over the check. I suggested to her that bringing my order would be preferable to bringing the check. She looked at me like I had two heads and walked away, returning 2 minutes later with the ice cream and a muttered 'I'm sorry.'

Hey Mr. BiB... you've got great food and a wonderful menu. Now if you would just replace the brain-dead waitstaff with people who are customer-oriented, you'd have one of the best places in town!

Appalling service. When you are paying a little over the odds you are entitled to far better. Hope you didnt leave a tip.....