Ford Ranger Wildtrack . Battery smart charge

riki48

Hi All...

Wondering if any new Ranger users have had battery problems. Mine is a second hand 2012 model I bought second hand last week.

It has a new battery but it is not cranking well especially when left over 24 hours.

I read on a few forums that this could possibly be down to the ''smart charge'' system the vehicle has fitted.

Has anyone had there smart charge disabled here in Thailand ?

Regards

Could be that the OEM battery has died. They try to use the cheapest they can get away with so the batteries don't last long. Get a good, heavy duty aftermarket battery - check the amp-hour ratings and get the highest.

I had a bat/cranking problem with my Everest 3000cc from new. The Ford dealer replaced the bat (like for like) within the warranty period but with no marked improvement. On a boring day, just by coincidence, I came across a bat web site and checked the bat that was listed for my car. The bat listed was not as fitted, the amps produced by the installed bat were too low for a 3000cc.

I purchased the correct amperage bat and have never experienced a problem since. It's worth checking.

Hi All...

Wondering if any new Ranger users have had battery problems. Mine is a second hand 2012 model I bought second hand last week.

It has a new battery but it is not cranking well especially when left over 24 hours.

I read on a few forums that this could possibly be down to the ''smart charge'' system the vehicle has fitted.

Has anyone had there smart charge disabled here in Thailand ?

Regards

My 2012 Ranger's OEM battery died well within a year and Ford admitted it was due to a bad supplier. If your replacement battery sounds like it is low on cranking amps, you can get it load-tested at any Ford service center. If in doubt and you decide on a new battery, get the Boliden Silver-something-or-other. That's what I replaced the crap one with and it was still cranking after 2 years when I sold it. I as almost tempted to swap it with the new one in the new WT.

Archived