Windows 10 on laptop?

pinkpanther99

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All that "Get WIndows 10" icon, email registration was just another marketing gag.

Since the very first day (29) tons of articles describe how to download Windows 10 32 bit / 64 bit as Home or Pro version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With the down loader you can either do an upgrade or get a full ISO for creating a DVD or create a bootable USB stick.

No one has to wait. There is no magic behind, no "personal download" or whatever.

I downloaded a 32 bit Pro ISO and burnt it to DVD (was not too fast, took 55 min).

Not yet installed though.

For the ISO, can't we wait a few months ? I think that when the first bugs will be repaired, the new ISO to download will be different in a few months : right ?

That's a distinct possibility which is why I originally said I wouldn't be updating any live systems for a while!

My strategy is certainly to wait a while for W10 to "bed in" as i said in my first contribution and I shall most certainly be imaging any live PC that I upgrade from W7/8 BEFORE I do anything else - but then I do that anyway!
For those who have NOT yet started on the upgrade path, I would strongly suggest that you read what was said above about imaging the PC first, then if all else fails, you can go back to your original installation!
And to rawhod, NeverSure, fang37: thanks for the responses to my posts, however it seems you're all ahead of me now and I am going to "lurk" on this thread until I can contribute something new - if that day comes. (That will possibly be after I've played upgrades on a test machine - which will be imaged and sacrificial!) wink.png
To KhunBENQ - I shall be trying Magical JellyBean (on my test system!) - thank you - I hadn't heard of that thumbsup.gif
Edited by VBF

Having worked in computers I have seen most of the Windows upgrade problems in previous years, so it is a pleasant surprise that the Windows 10 upgrade has been very smooth. But I know that Microsoft has had to put a lot of effort into this, especially after the Windows 8 problems and the fact they want most of the world's PC's to adopt 10. (That is millions and millions of computers).

I have upgraded 4 computers so far, without problems, a fifth one I was warned that the NVIDIA drivers were not available for Windows 10 and a look on the relevant forums said to wait for a few months for them to become available. One laptop waited 24 hours before starting the upgrade, then took 4 hours to complete.

I did start with a basic laptop bought in Pattaya along with a B100 copy of Windows 8.1 and that upgraded fine.

Some websites say that Windows 7 is a faster operating system than Windows 10, so I will probably leave my little travelling Acer netbook as is.

As always it is important to back-up anyway, especially before making this upgrade. If you want to roll back to the original OS version you have only one month to change your mind.

Apparently Windows 10 is following Google and collecting a lot more information about you, especially Cortana, so the next step is to investigate the privacy settings.

Having worked in computers I have seen most of the Windows upgrade problems in previous years, so it is a pleasant surprise that the Windows 10 upgrade has been very smooth. But I know that Microsoft has had to put a lot of effort into this, especially after the Windows 8 problems and the fact they want most of the world's PC's to adopt 10. (That is millions and millions of computers).

I have upgraded 4 computers so far, without problems, a fifth one I was warned that the NVIDIA drivers were not available for Windows 10 and a look on the relevant forums said to wait for a few months for them to become available. One laptop waited 24 hours before starting the upgrade, then took 4 hours to complete.

I did start with a basic laptop bought in Pattaya along with a B100 copy of Windows 8.1 and that upgraded fine.

Some websites say that Windows 7 is a faster operating system than Windows 10, so I will probably leave my little travelling Acer netbook as is.

As always it is important to back-up anyway, especially before making this upgrade. If you want to roll back to the original OS version you have only one month to change your mind.

Apparently Windows 10 is following Google and collecting a lot more information about you, especially Cortana, so the next step is to investigate the privacy settings.

Strange thing is, every Windows version was promoted as being faster than the previous one. And after a fresh installation it was faster as every fresh installation is faster than a 3 year old but soon it was slower than the old one ever was. On my laptop I switched to Xubuntu, but consider if I should switch back to WinXP. Win7 was unusable slow.

I really don't understand what microsoft is thinking.

Downloaded Windows 10 to my live PC (Acer Laptop). Everything went unbelievably smooth.

It took about 1hr 20min in total. I declined the automatic feedback for for marketing etc, and the automatic default applications in favour of my previous selected defaults. When the machine became live again, it was just as though nothing had changed. All my programmes, favourites and defaults were still in place.

The only thing I had to do, was to reboot with my printer connected and powered up for it to find it.

All in all, a much easier experience than doing a clean install from a disk.

I got the download on my old laptop with windows 7 at the release date, haven't installed it yet. The new laptop with Windows 8.1 i got the download yesterday (Sunday) and installed it immediately. Works really smooth. It's worth to install it (Windows 10) immediately if your're using Windows 8, but there's no hurry if you're using Windows 7. And yes, much easier than doing a clean install.

I may be alone on this but, every time, without fail, that I download anything on my Dell Touch Screen laptop, it erases something else that I wanted so I am waiting at least a year before trying Windows 10 - if at all !

At the very least back up your data or consider mirror imagining to restore current set up before upgrading?

Well, here is my two penneth as far as Win 10 went for me.

Ihave 3 genuine licences for Win 8 that I bought way back for 29 quid each.

I subscribed to the Win 10 offer of notification (It still keeps telling me that I soon will be able to download it despite the fact that it is on 1 PC, 1 Laptop and 1 portable drive)

The first PC I used the Win download site and installed it to USB, loaded it up and it refused to recognize the Win 8 key.

Contacted Microsoft ( if you need to contact them on the cheap, log in as disabled - otherwise you will be left on the phone - I told the guy on the online help that I had no hands and had to type with my nose, he was extremely helpful and took control of my computer remotely, could not solve the problem but verified my Win keys as genuine)

Next step, i used the PC to do the upgrade, worked flawlessly and kept all of my original software and shows up as bein genuine and activated.

Next was my first laptop, same problem when using the USB download, did not recognize the keys as being genuine. dowloaded as an upgrade but told it to "KEEP NOTHING", again works flawlessly and appears activated.

2nd Laptop has been the biggest problem, it appears to have a defective hard drive and cannot load Windows in less than 3 hours, I eventually loaded a "portable" copy of Win 8, didn't activate it but went on to load Win 10 on the same portable drive.

After a bit of fiddling around it is running and booting from my external USB disk, but as in the previous cases, it will not accept the key. Seems to be working fine for now, once I change out the hard drive I will download it again as an update.

Probably end up spending an hour on the phone to Microsoft in Bangkok to eventually sort out the DVD install again, they were pretty good with a reactivation on a new machine previously using Win 8.

As stated elsewhere Sony sent me a message through their 'Care' software to hold off upgrading from Win7 to 10 until they give me the nod.

I have made the reservation but it hasn't said I can go ahead even from the MS side yet.

As stated elsewhere Sony sent me a message through their 'Care' software to hold off upgrading from Win7 to 10 until they give me the nod.

I have made the reservation but it hasn't said I can go ahead even from the MS side yet.

Mmmm.......... I wonder what Sony are up to? Trying to wrest back some control from MS perhaps? What have Sony got to hide or fear? whistling.gif

This information may be of use to people updating laptops OR desktops which have NVIDIA cards or chips.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/28/windows_10_update_nvidia_driver_conflict/

This is the Display Adapter aka video card or (in a desktop) or chip (desktop or laptop) - you can check it from Device Manager - see attached screenshot

Anyone successfully update on a device with NVIDIA hardware?

post-30368-0-61706500-1438586877_thumb.j

When I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10, I didn't have any issue with my Lenovo Z510 laptop with a NVIDA GeForce GT-740M video chip....the laptop also has the Intel 4600 video chip built into the i7 CPU. See below for snapshot showing NVIDA driver installed.

Now, I'm not 100% sure whether the driver came with Win 10, it was from my own install which I did using the NVIDA driver from the NVIDA driver download site, or it was installed by GeForce Experience programs that checks and downloads/installs the latest drivers for my NVIDA video chip.

You will notice the first snapshot below says the driver was provided by NVIDA and is version 10.18.13.5362, but the second snapshot from the NVIDA driver website for my laptop model shows a dirver version of 10.18.13.5324 which is an earlier verstion...STOP...STOP...I just remembered, when I was installing the NVIDA driver I got from the NVIDA driver website after installing Win 10 the driver install stopped and asked me "Am I sure I want to install it" because there is a later version although on the laptop. So, I stopped the install and went with the NVIDA driver that came with Win 10. And then the 3rd snapshot if using the GeForce Experience app to check if I have the latest driver installed and it says I do.

Snapshot from Windows Device Drivers

post-55970-0-29903700-1438589023_thumb.j

Snapshot from Lenovo Driver website for my model

post-55970-0-53969200-1438590020_thumb.j

Snapshot from GeForce Experience Driver Updater...ran 3 Aug, 3:06pm Bangkok time...notice is says the driver version is 353.62 which I think is really used when any games are played...or maybe NVIDA has some different version numbers for the same driver....I don't know. But it does appear I have the latest NVIDA driver(s) installed on my laptop now running Win 10.

.post-55970-0-03445800-1438590151_thumb.j

Mmmm.......... I wonder what Sony are up to? Trying to wrest back some control from MS perhaps? What have Sony got to hide or fear? whistling.gif

Something about checking the drivers out if I recall correctly.

And the ISO is definitely the way to go rather than an upgrade "in situ"

Back everything up, trash the hard disk and install from new.Or, buy a new hard disk, swap it out, install W10 and you've still got the old one to fall back on!

that's what I shall do with a test PC, but NO WAY am I going to install anything new from MS on a live PC on day 1! w00t.gif

Their track record stinks - i reckon to put W10 on a live PC around February next year after its bedded in and the almost inevitable major bugs are fixed.

And only then if they make updates optional again like they always have been - MS's record there isn't good either!

Take it from someone who's been working in IT since before Windows even existed! Yes, I am that ****ing old! sad.png

To correct what I said above about

But, unless you purchase a Win10 license, how can you activate a clean install?

My understanding is that to take advantage of the 12-month free upgrade period, you must first do an in situ upgrade from Win7/Win8/Win8.1 and activate. Then, once your Win7/Win8/Win8.1 Product Key is on Microsoft's servers as an activated Win10 installation, and only then, can you do a clean installation of Win10. Otherwise, what Product Key will you use to activate a subsequent clean Win10 installation?

According to MS, you use the Key that came with the original Windows 7/8 installation FAQs are here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/faq

So you need to make sure you've got that before you blat over the original installation. IF you bought a PC with a licensed copy of Win 7 or 8, there should be a label on the device or the box, or if you bought it from a "pucker" dealer it's on the original Windows 7 / 8 DVD case.

If you bought it from certain outlets in Thailand, that might be a problem of course! whistling.gif

Note....... I have NOT tried this yet - it's just what i'm reading on the MS website - want to "tread boldly?"

I would strongly suggest that you read what was said above about imaging the PC first, then if all else fails, you can go back to your original installation!

To correct what I wrote above:

The basic process is that when you perform an upgrade to Windows 10 (over a genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 system), an anonymous and unique hardware hash is generated that is based on your systems hardware configuration. Since it is anonymous, you do not have to use a Microsoft Account. This hardware hash is generated even if you choose to install Windows 10 with a Local Account.

That same hardware hash is sent to Microsoft servers and a corresponding certificate is created to validate your systems activation status. From this point forward any future installs, including one where you delete all partitions and install Windows 10 from scratch, will be activated because of that unique hardware hash and the corresponding certificate. Since it is all stored on Microsofts servers there is no reason for us to keep a backup either.

source: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-make-sure-your-free-copy-windows-10-activated, though it is reported as such on several reputable web sites, as well.

You cannot simply use your Win7/Win8 Product Key to do a clean install of Win10 for free. You must first update a Win7/Win8 configuration and activate it. *Then* you can do a clean install and skip entering the Product Key.

I may be alone on this but, every time, without fail, that I download anything on my Dell Touch Screen laptop, it erases something else that I wanted so I am waiting at least a year before trying Windows 10 - if at all !

Judging from what you said, I think it's a good idea for you to wait because it sounds like you know next to nothing about how your computer works. :)

I have effected a complete surrender. My computer will do it all.

sad.png

Did not work out that way exactly.

MS could not download 1 file.

My computer tech advises that he will rectify tonight.

"My computer tech advises that he will rectify tonight"?

Uh oh.... Begs the question whether you had a legitimate Windows installation to start with? NO NEED to answer the question on this forum though. smile.png

That I do not know. I have a super clean W 8.1 & sought opinion as to whether it would be prudent to re-install that. "No need" was the response.

Will I ever know?

Has anyone been "arrested" re this matter?

BE CAREFUL ! if you want to install with usb or cd it will ask you an activation key that you do not have if you had a copy of windows 7 or windows 8.

Even with a legitimate copy of Win7 or Win8, when you upgrade it will ask you for a Product Key. You can click on the option to skip or do it later. Once you go online with Win10, it will activate even if you haven't entered a valid Product Key during the upgrade process.

By "copy of windows7 or windows 8," if you meant "illegal copy," I can't guarantee that Win10 will activate (though some people say it will), but you definitely can skip entering a Product Key during the upgrade process.

Bummer, and typical Microsoft.

I updated to an evaluation version of Win10 on my legitimate Win 8.1 (Single Language) laptop a few weeks ago. Build 10162 I think

It worked great so I downloaded the ISO and cut the Win10 64 Bit install DVD. Load it up, and it asks for Product Key. So I copy the product key from the laptop system, and it doesn't work. (No sticker on the laptop, though I know it's a legitimate copy of Win 8.1 SL from the SKU tag on the Acer box)

Google searches told me it didn't work because the Product Key is a key for the evaluation version of Win 10. Those evaluation keys have been disabled by MS and cannot be used for Win 10 installs. I need to revert to Win 8.1, then use that product key for the new Win 10 install. Which would only be a pain in the ass, except that I found I have no path to revert to 8.1. So I need to "contact my computer Mfg for Win 8.1 install media", since the computer came with no install DVD (no DVD player, either- it's an ultra lightweight laptop)

So I'm stuck on the evaluation version, which I'm sure they'll disable at some point. And I'll bin the $400 computer before I spend days chasing down the Mfg media, spend 8 hours reverting to Win 8.1 and installing Win 10- with the risk that some other gremlin will crawl out of the woodwork and I'll have to start all over.

Strangely, the exact same process went smooth as silk on my older Win 7 32 Bit laptop. From Build 10162 to Win 10 took hours, but required virtually no intervention after I hit the setup.exe icon...

One last resort I've got to try is to strip the Product Key off the UEFI BIOS system and try that key, but now the CPU maximum frequency is 2% and nothing seems to be getting it off 2%. (But that's a whole 'nother problem)

Edited by impulse

Go to Settings/Update & Security/Activation and change your Product Key to one of the following depending on the version you have upgraded from;

Home: TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99

Pro: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

These are generic keys which every Windows 10 Upgrade uses. They are publicly available. As long as your system has previously been upgraded from an activated version of Win 7/8/8.1, once you enter one of these keys your Win 10 install should activate immediately.