why can't foreigners own land? if Indonesia can change, cant Thailand ?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they could change it , but they don't want to. Their country they get to create the rules

As to reason's, to many to count really, but few of top one's, keeps land prices down for thai's, they avoid foreigners owning huge percentage of the country (be major risk with Chinese), they would have to fix mess land title system is in first, the hiso's like it is at the moment.

Edited by Lashay

It's not fair at all (and open to abuse, especially in case of thai/farang marriage), but to be honest benefits can be seen. For example, in many key locations around the world locals have been priced out of property market due to foreign investors/speculators

And yes other countrys could stop thai's buying land but really don't see it happening.

Law will only change here if there is a slump in land prices and they need new money to boost it back up and honestly don't see that happening any time soon

It's not fair at all (and open to abuse, especially in case of thai/farang marriage), but to be honest benefits can be seen. For example, in many key locations around the world locals have been priced out of property market due to foreign investors/speculators

And yes other countrys could stop thai's buying land but really don't see it happening.

Law will only change here if there is a slump in land prices and they need new money to boost it back up and honestly don't see that happening any time soon

For example, in many key locations around the world locals have been priced out of property market due to foreign investors/speculators

Where I live, 15 km East of Pattaya in a rural area, the going price for the past year is 4 Million Baht per Rai, probably higher next year.

7 years ago it was 950 K as that is what I paid, now left - right -back - front and allover the tambon they want 4 Million and don't go for less as I know people who offered 3 Million for the plot right behind me.

I have searched in nearby tambons and prices are similar, of course that I don't even talk about areas closer to Mabprachan lake or SSCC where prices are a multiple of that.

Which locals can cough up 4 Million for a Rai?

And they could throw in a new visa as well.....You own land and a house, you can stay and renew the visa every 5 years....online.

....and WHY would they want to Simplify a complicated issue. Welcome to the Land of Take, take, take !

Can Thailand change? Sure! Will they, nope. Still hanging on to centuries old pride of not being colonized, and subsequent self imposed Thai centric culture and arrogance. Multiculturalism is a sin to Thai's.

Edited by jerojero

For example, in many key locations around the world locals have been priced out of property market due to foreign investors/speculators

Where I live, 15 km East of Pattaya in a rural area, the going price for the past year is 4 Million Baht per Rai, probably higher next year.

7 years ago it was 950 K as that is what I paid, now left - right -back - front and allover the tambon they want 4 Million and don't go for less as I know people who offered 3 Million for the plot right behind me.

I have searched in nearby tambons and prices are similar, of course that I don't even talk about areas closer to Mabprachan lake or SSCC where prices are a multiple of that.

do you think the average local could cough up 950k seven years ago? i don't.

“Foreigners are absolutely not allowed to own an inch of land in Indonesia. It’s clear in line with the constitution,” Minister of Agrarian and Spatial Planning/Head of the State Land Board Ferry Mursyidan Baldan reportedly said to Antara.

http://indosurflife.com/2015/03/indonesia-government-to-crackdown-on-foreign-land-ownership/

Foreign ownership of property in Indonesia has recently come under increased scrutiny, with the head of the National Land Agency (BPN) and minister of Agrarian Affairs Ferry Mursyidan Baldan clamping down on the issue. The focus is on land illegally owned by foreigners throughout the archipelago, in particular on the resort islands of Bali and Lombok. Reports suggest that the BPN will soon begin to survey and inventory land ‘owned’ by foreigners in Indonesia.

At present, foreigners are able to legally secure land by way of a long-term lease. This can be under their company name using Hak Guna Bangunan (Building Rights Title) or personally using Hak Pakai (Right of Use). With the latter, the foreigner must be domiciled in Indonesia, and as such is rather limited from an investment standpoint. Outside of these two lease options, many foreigners have chosen the popular nominee method to purchase property and thus are able to ‘own’ land through an arrangement with an Indonesian citizen.

“It is absolutely not allowed for [a] foreigner to own a single inch of land in Indonesia. This is as stipulated by the National Constitution,” the minister told reporters in early March. He went on to highlight that the survey and inventorying of land ‘owned’ by foreigners must be conducted to verify that there is no land in Indonesia controlled by outsiders. Much of this stems from what Baldan views as the widespread use of Indonesian nominees to acquire land.

http://indonesiaexpat.biz/featured/foreign-property-ownership-under-the-magnifying-glass-in-indonesia/

so much for the Indonesian "change" coffee1.gif

Is it selling at 4Mil as I have many plots East Pattaya and Huay Yai that start at 1.8 Mil...Government road and utilities...?

It is very easy to understand. Thailand is primarily a agricultural country, and they produce a lot of food. They do not need foreign corporations buying up the land and re-zoning it for their own uses. As the world continues to grow in population, you can bet food shortages will occur. It is a given. No need to try to argue this fact just for the sake of argument. Thailand is protecting its resources, whether they know it or not. I would hardly throw up Indonesia as a world leader in doing what is right.

Without appropriate legislation, development is a sham eg high-rise close to the waterfront, golf courses.

I think that it is a shame that the Thai government has not kept Thai real estate - Thai style eg houses now tend to be "modern".

do you think the average local could cough up 950k seven years ago? i don't.

Yes they could, because the average local doesn't build on a 1Rai plot, but on a quarter of that, and that would have cost less than 250K at that time and today it will be 1 Million.

Is it selling at 4Mil as I have many plots East Pattaya and Huay Yai that start at 1.8 Mil...Government road and utilities...?

Thanks for the classified biggrin.png , but to answer your question.

No the actual sales are far and between, but that doesn't mean they lower the price, because the owners all got the land for generations and don't really need the money.

Since I did an extensive search some time ago, I'm also aware of the 2 million Baht plots.

They are all in undesired locations, like close to a chicken farm or flooding in the rain season, need a lot of landfill, or are with unusable sizes like 15 meter facade and 106 meter deep.

There are actually quite a few plots in my area offered by your kind, and they are the most overpriced ones. smile.png

Been there, got the T-shirt.

Edited by Anthony5

The politicians,say they cannot let Farangs own land here,as they

would buy it all up and poor people would not have any,when in

reality,its Politicians,and their influential friends who own the most

land in Thailand,taking it away from the poor.

regards Worgeordie

The rules and laws in most countries around the wrold ban foeigners to own land, maybe there are very few countries that allow this, and certainly there will be some specific areas where foreigners can have direct ownership of land grounds,

Thais have their full rights to protect their sovereingnty to ban foreigners from owning their lands, this is a wise policy to protect their country security as well, as every country in the world does,

one thing that foreigners can claim, and ask for is to amend the regulations of staying visas to be relaxed, the facility of obtaining a residence permit, citizenship, these are logical matters, after that u are allowed to own land as a local citizen, otherwise half of the country it will be colonized and owned by chinese and others!!

The danger is not so much individual foreigners buying a plot of land or a few rai here and there, although that would be nightmare enough for poorer Thais; just imagine if land ownership was liberalised to the extent that everybody's favourite multinational agri/chemical company, M......o, bought up thousands of hectares of rice fields and began their GM experiments and patenting. You could say goodbye to a centuries-old culture and hello to corporate mega-agribusiness with a vengeance. CP Group (a Chinese-Thai conglomerate) points the way.

It would matter little to the elite powers, if a foreigner was given the right to own two rai of land and build a house. The amount invested in the land and house could count toward an investment they would allow for a longer stay visa. Easier and simpler for all parties. It would not harm Thais on any level. But, that is something that would be characterized as progress, vision and long term planning. Not a quality you see much here, especially from the government. Thailand needs to be more competitive, and needs to start thinking of ways to attract and retain prosperous foreigners. Will they? Can they?