why can't foreigners own land? if Indonesia can change, cant Thailand ?

It would be nice to own a home outright in Thailand. Just for the sole purpose to live in and not have to jump the legal hoops.

However, It would go south quickly as flippers and scammers would ruin it and the whole system would even be worse off.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, at the end of the day what's wrong with just renting. I wouldn't buy land here even if I could. This way I pay cheap rent and can go anywhere I like at moments notice. I can't get scammed if I don't buy land in the first place and I can move out and change places if my neighbor turns nasty.

This is one time where I think the Thai Govt has got it right anyways, who wants it to go the same way other Western nations have like the Ozzies saying their Govt is selling their farms to overseas interests, just plain crazy.

Edited by Ling Kae

Good on the Thais, cant see why they should open it up and if ya dumb enough to buy in Indonesia you deserve all that you will get.

As others posted wish we had the same sort of rules in OZ, with overseas snapping up land and 180000 being brought into the country each year land and housing gets further out of te reach of many.

Agree 100%. Wish the UK had had the sense to have similar land ownership rules as the Thais.

Instead now the Islamabadists buy up land and property in the UK to build their mosques, corner shops, and schools to teach Islam doctrine.

I have no problem with the concept of people emigrating to another country - IF they wish to integrate themselves into the culture of that country. Problem is that too many don't - instead they just want to import and practice their own cultures living as they did in their home countries.

Just imagine what would happen if you went to an Islamic country, bought a plot of land and built a Christian church on it - you'd likely be taken to the town square to be publicly flogged, set alight or stoned to death...

Edited by Shadychris

its a matter of face, they don't want non-thais to be more successful than thais smile.png

Not true.

I can remember years ago when the Japanese economy was booming and Japanese were trying hard to buy up Thai land.

Many Thai landowners were losing their land ..... legally or otherwise to Japanese who had money then.

Now it is no longer the Japanese but the Chinese who are after Thai landowners.

Owning your own house is NOT a sign of success.... in fact it is (in my humble opinion) a sign that you are a dupe of the Capitalist propaganda.

I regard owning a house and land as evidence that you have been duped into buying a liability that will cost you dearly in the long run.

thank you. understand but doesnt seem fair. maybe other countries could stop thais from owning land in their countries.

Around the time pigs start to fly. They can - and do - buy properties in the UK - similar population number, far smaller land area - but we can't buy here (though my youngest son, in due course, could legitimately buy in both). Main issue is nationalism, and that, like everything else here, is top down.

thank you. understand but doesnt seem fair. maybe other countries could stop thais from owning land in their countries.

Two could play at that game and you could find Thailand tightening visa laws to make them reciprocal with those countries.

And have dear old TAT no longer even able to massage non-existent figures? I don't think so.

These threads always amuse me - -

Why can't I find a country where I can go and not even as a citizen change all the laws to suit me? I mean, we all should be able to do that - right? We can just call it ME WORLD.

I doubt Thai people go to Western Countries and think they should have laws there that suit them at the moment

When Thai people go to my country they get treated the same way I do, can do the same things I do, pay the same prices I do, have the same rights under the law as I do.......

Google ''Golden visa'' in Portugal for the Chinese to see what

a mess of corruption it has caused in that country.

Try to buy a property in Sydney, the overseas buyers have

pushed the prices so high locals can never afford to buy a

house there, speaking to my g/friend about the subject, it

seems the Thais are well tuned into the subject, so imagine

this, the Chinese economy is outperforming the rest of the

world but the one thing the Chinese government cant provide

is enough food (rice) to feed it's people, if they were allowed

to buy land in Thailand, would the countries name become

known as Tchailand, they would buy the whole of Issan to

farm and send the rice back (probably on the new north -

south goods railway from China to Bangkok they are

talking about)

If the Thais did not keep foreigners from owning land...then many of the Thais who latch on to a farang...would not be elevated out of poverty...would likely never own their own home...or live a life with economic security...

Foreigners who marry or support Thais are a blessing to this country...visas should be relaxed and extended for those who support Thai families...smile.png

FAIR ? this is not a schoolyard ball game . those that have power want to keep it . one way is to restrict every thing that is not Thai to a rental contract .you have little or no power as a contract holder , not the same as title holder .............

Thailand is for Thais.

Can't say the internet-driven influx of foreigners has added much charm over the past 20 years or so.

Of course, no one thinks that THEY are the problem - it's those OTHER foreigners, always.

The internet has enabled people who couldn't find their a$$ with both hands, let alone Thailand on a map, to know the cost of a taxi from the airport to Pattaya to the nearest satang. The place is poorer for it...

Thailand is for Thais.

Can't say the internet-driven influx of foreigners has added much charm over the past 20 years or so.

Of course, no one thinks that THEY are the problem - it's those OTHER foreigners, always.

The internet has enabled people who couldn't find their <deleted> with both hands, let alone Thailand on a map, to know the cost of a taxi from the airport to Pattaya to the nearest satang. The place is poorer for it...

Agreed, Thailand would do well to not only keep it's current policy on land ownership but also tighten up massively on their Visa regulations. Completely abolish the ridiculous border run situation that effectively allows people to stay 'on holiday' for years on end. Unless holding a work permit, Visa's should be restricted to 3 months with one just one renewal allowed. After 6 months, bye bye and don't come back for another 12 months thank you very much.

Do away with the requirement for 3 consecutive years of non-immigrant visas for a permanent residency permit. Then make those that want to stay more than a few months actually show some commitment by applying for permanent residency permits along with evidence of funds\income, criminal background checks, and at least some basic ability to speak Thai.

It's not fair at all (and open to abuse, especially in case of thai/farang marriage), but to be honest benefits can be seen. For example, in many key locations around the world locals have been priced out of property market due to foreign investors/speculators

And yes other countrys could stop thai's buying land but really don't see it happening.

Law will only change here if there is a slump in land prices and they need new money to boost it back up and honestly don't see that happening any time soon

And even if it did change, a foreigner would always have to contend with the real possibility of it simply being changed back with the next election. It's about the law, but it's also about prevailing attitudes, beliefs and prejudices among the public. Many Thais are simply indoctrinated from birth with the idea that Thai is good/foreigner not so good. A Thai's first duty is to help his fellow Thais.

It's about time all countries followed the asean rule.

"If you are asean, you cannot buy land in our country "

Fair and fair.

So you want it that everyone needs a visa for Thailand and it's more expensive and difficult to get a visa?

Something like a Thai has to go through for a visa to most other countries?

I rather accept to own a condo and keep the current visa exempt and visa system than making any changes

for Thailand and my country to teat each other the same.

It would matter little to the elite powers, if a foreigner was given the right to own two rai of land and build a house. The amount invested in the land and house could count toward an investment they would allow for a longer stay visa. Easier and simpler for all parties. It would not harm Thais on any level. But, that is something that would be characterized as progress, vision and long term planning. Not a quality you see much here, especially from the government. Thailand needs to be more competitive, and needs to start thinking of ways to attract and retain prosperous foreigners. Will they? Can they?

If you are a 'prosperous foreigner' you can do almost anything you want here in Thailand.

I know several billionaires here in Thailand and I don't hear them complaining about the rules the way people on this forum do.

As a foreigner you should fall into 3 categories, tourist, working or retired.

If you are a tourist the rules are simple and don't need changing.

If you are working here then again simple rules that don't need changing.

Finally, if you are retired, simple rules, which again don't need changing.

As for Land ownership, if your family needs to own land then let your wife own the land.... if you have kids then the land can be passed from your wife to your kids.

The government is grateful for your defense. I was referring to progress. Improvement. Keeping up with the neighbors and such.

So what neighbors allow foreigners own land. Cambodia you can lease but now own, you can own a condo or apartment but not on the 1st floor. Vietnam you can lease for 50 years but not own. Burma no ownership, Laos no ownership. Progress things are changing but slowly, however I don't except any changes to allow foreigners to own land. The current rules are being abused for people to try and get around the rules to own land. Imagine if they change to allow 1 rai ownership you will have one guy get people to use their name to buy land Friends, relatives etc.

Edited by ericthai

It is very easy to understand. Thailand is primarily a agricultural country, and they produce a lot of food. They do not need foreign corporations buying up the land and re-zoning it for their own uses. As the world continues to grow in population, you can bet food shortages will occur. It is a given. No need to try to argue this fact just for the sake of argument. Thailand is protecting its resources, whether they know it or not. I would hardly throw up Indonesia as a world leader in doing what is right.

Thais are not that smart to think about what will happen in years to come. They live for today & today only. No future planing.

It's not fair at all (and open to abuse, especially in case of thai/farang marriage),

Ahhhh the Thai/Farang marriage. There is nothing stopping a farang importing his money to this country and then transferring it over to dear loving wife and she can buy all the land she wants in her name and you can both live happily ever after. Or is it that the farang doesn't trust his wife?gigglem.gif

I trust my wife. I have known her for 22 years, we have been married for 16 years and have a 12 year old son.

She has a bit of land around here in her own name. Why do I need to own it myself?

Why should I NOT trust her?

Private ownership of land is a relatively new and Western notion. If you would do a little research, you would see that . In facct, you would also see Thailand is not the most land-ownership restrictive country, quite the contrary--http://www.financialfreedomindex.com/freehold-property.html

It is very easy to understand. Thailand is primarily a agricultural country, and they produce a lot of food. They do not need foreign corporations buying up the land and re-zoning it for their own uses. As the world continues to grow in population, you can bet food shortages will occur. It is a given. No need to try to argue this fact just for the sake of argument. Thailand is protecting its resources, whether they know it or not. I would hardly throw up Indonesia as a world leader in doing what is right.

Thais are not that smart to think about what will happen in years to come. They live for today & today only. No future planing.

Don't you mean, your misinformed opinion of Thais is what you state?

Thailand should stop Thais from owning land overseas. Only then will it be a fair, same same system. Edited by Keesters

Good point. If Thailand relaxed the laws on foreigners owning land you'd see large chunks of agricultural land being purchased by the wealthier countries in the Middle East - either their government entities or private ones. They buy lots of land in Africa, and I know from personal experience they have substantial holdings in the Spanish fishing industry. They are keen to own sources of food to guarantee future supplies.

I'm sure a certain person with extensive contacts in those areas is already aware of this, longer term, very lucrative possibility.

Good point. If Thailand relaxed the laws on foreigners owning land you'd see large chunks of agricultural land being purchased by the wealthier countries in the Middle East - either their government entities or private ones. They buy lots of land in Africa, and I know from personal experience they have substantial holdings in the Spanish fishing industry. They are keen to own sources of food to guarantee future supplies.

I'm sure a certain person with extensive contacts in those areas is already aware of this, longer term, very lucrative possibility.

Not sure why "food supply" is a problem. Thailand could permit foreign ownership, and then legislate all manner of use restrictions, e.g., restrictions on crop exports, if deemed necessary. Liberal governments in western nations have imposed such restrictions quite freely. In California even one's own well water is subject to regulation. Requirements for environmental impact studies. Traditional zoning laws. Wildlife habitat preservation. You name it. Plenty of existing precedent.

No, I think the real reason has more to do with the assertion that permitting foreign ownership would bid up land prices, out of the reach of ordinary farmers. 'Not sure they can really afford to buy land now, but I guess that's neither here nor there.

Quite simple. foreigners will just buy up cheap land and properties and just make a living out of trading on them, buy sell. Then the price goes up and the Thai people will not be able to afford to buy like most of the western countries. The government are keeping Thailand from their own people, good thing.

“Foreigners are absolutely not allowed to own an inch of land in Indonesia. It’s clear in line with the constitution,” Minister of Agrarian and Spatial Planning/Head of the State Land Board Ferry Mursyidan Baldan reportedly said to Antara.

http://indosurflife.com/2015/03/indonesia-government-to-crackdown-on-foreign-land-ownership/

Foreign ownership of property in Indonesia has recently come under increased scrutiny, with the head of the National Land Agency (BPN) and minister of Agrarian Affairs Ferry Mursyidan Baldan clamping down on the issue. The focus is on land illegally owned by foreigners throughout the archipelago, in particular on the resort islands of Bali and Lombok. Reports suggest that the BPN will soon begin to survey and inventory land ‘owned’ by foreigners in Indonesia.

At present, foreigners are able to legally secure land by way of a long-term lease. This can be under their company name using Hak Guna Bangunan (Building Rights Title) or personally using Hak Pakai (Right of Use). With the latter, the foreigner must be domiciled in Indonesia, and as such is rather limited from an investment standpoint. Outside of these two lease options, many foreigners have chosen the popular nominee method to purchase property and thus are able to ‘own’ land through an arrangement with an Indonesian citizen.

“It is absolutely not allowed for [a] foreigner to own a single inch of land in Indonesia. This is as stipulated by the National Constitution,” the minister told reporters in early March. He went on to highlight that the survey and inventorying of land ‘owned’ by foreigners must be conducted to verify that there is no land in Indonesia controlled by outsiders. Much of this stems from what Baldan views as the widespread use of Indonesian nominees to acquire land.

http://indonesiaexpat.biz/featured/foreign-property-ownership-under-the-magnifying-glass-in-indonesia/

so much for the Indonesian "change" coffee1.gif

Thanks Naam. So if this is the case in Indonesia--and the OP is completely wrong--what are these guys still talking about?

Can Thailand change? Sure! Will they, nope. Still hanging on to centuries old pride of not being colonized, and subsequent self imposed Thai centric culture and arrogance. Multiculturalism is a sin to Thai's.

...... and a disaster in the West.