Wide Posts, Long Lines Of Text

Gnasher328

Recently I have seen a fair few posts that are around three pages wide making them very difficult to read, in fact after scrolling to and fro for a few lines I give up. It is like looking at a file in 'Notepad' without 'word wrap' enabled.

Can you post a link to a current topic that does this to you? And, please describe what OS, version, browser and screen resolution are you currently running?

You may find this occurs when someone posts an image that exceeds the width of your display device.

If this is the case you can use the "Report" link and let the moderators know there is an issue.

Hi, thanks for the answers. I had lost the post in question but have just found another, also on the m/c forum - just thought, might even be the same 'posters'. No images so as suggested guess the most likely cause is pasting from another source. I think the moderators should take notice as it makes the posts worthless.

Hi, thanks for the answers. I had lost the post in question but have just found another, also on the m/c forum - just thought, might even be the same 'posters'. No images so as suggested guess the most likely cause is pasting from another source. I think the moderators should take notice as it makes the posts worthless.

It is a pity that you failed to give a link to the topic in question.

To give a link to a particular topic you are reading, triple-click on the URL (www....) in the address field at the top of your screen, on your keyboard press Ctrl+C (on an Apple keyboard press cmd+C), then in your post press Ctrl+V (Apple: cmd+V) to paste the link.

Doh! Sorry, forgot to paste! Here it is:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/846620-stallions-400cc-any-good/

I see there are in actual fact a couple of large images in there.

T.

Thank you, this is a good example of how an oversize image can screw up the display. The first one I see is in post #16. The general recommendation is to reduce the image size to a width of maximum 1024 pixels and this image has a width of 2048 pixels. I do not blame the member who posted this picture, because generally browsers automatically adjust the width to the user's screen resolution but some browsers like the one I use, Chrome, does not always do this.

I shall now go and try to fix this in the topic you mentioned, a somewhat complicated and arduous procedure (download the oversized images to my hard disk, load them in an appropriate program, reduce their dimensions, save the modified images to my hard disk, and upload them to the respective posts to replace the original attachments)

Thanks. Another forum I use automatically resizes images, does TV have this facility?

It's the browser that does the auto-resize. Chrome & IE auto-resizes fine on Thaivisa but Firefox does not, don't know about Safari. Appears to be a conflict between FF and Thaivisa scripts (lightbox?) and has been an issue for a long time. You can see below that the feature is enabled by default in Firefox.

//Edit - further searching appears to be an issue with Firefox since 2008. An issue in CSS configuration. "Percent max-width:100% in shrink-to-fit situation doesn't work for images". bugzilla

post-566-0-13720000-1439127649_thumb.jpg

Strangely, with the two photos I dealt with here they displayed oversized in Chrome. Perhaps with Chrome it depends on how an image is attached, whether as an upload from the computer or a link to an image somewhere else on the web.

For the first of the two photos I still have the URL of the original attachment, which had a width of 2048 pixels, copied from the Chrome browser:

static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/monthly_08_2015/post-6366-14390534116576_thumb.jpg

By comparison, the link of the image I uploaded after I reduced the width to 1024 pixels is as follows in the Chrome browser:

static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/monthly_08_2015/post-21260-0-06384500-1439125552_thumb.jpg

For the first of the two photos I still have the URL of the original attachment, which had a width of 2048 pixels:

static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/monthly_08_2015/post-6366-14390534116576_thumb.jpg

Autoresizing of an image in FF works fine in a new tab such as the link you show above as it doesn't go through Thaivisa's CSS. If you see an oversized image and click on it and then click on Save it will open in a new tab autosized correctly, just not inline in a topic. As I mentioned, it appears an issue in the image specification in the Thaivisa scripts and FF's handling of it.

Image attachments were changed a while ago at my request to not be larger than 1024 but it was decided to make it 800w so attachments are not going to be a problem, just off site embedded images. In other words, no matter how large an attachment upload is it will be automatically rescaled to 800 wide by Thaivisa.