Is Mae Sai Border Crossing Open?

Does anyone know if the Mae Sai border crossing with Burma is open yet?

I heard that it will open 22 Sep. 06

I wouldn't count on that. I believe it is Burma, not Thailand that is keeping the border closed now. I was at CM immigration yesterday asking for information on when Mae Sai border will re-open. Their advice is not before 1 October, possibly later. They are advising folks who need to visa run before then to cross to Laos at Nong Khai.

Edited by whimsy

Burma is always tricky to deal with. Years ago, I was in Mai Sai for a day--not a visa run. There was some problem (Khun Saa was in control of the area at that time) with the Burmese and they closed the border about 15 minutes after I crossed back into Thailand--for 2 weeks.

I haven't been back since. There were some very sad faces staring across the road. At that time, also, you didn't have your passport with you as the Thai officials kept it (or the Burmese), I don't exactly remember, but you got it back when you crossed. So, the option of heading to another crossing wasn't a possibility.

My problem is up here in Chiang Mai it’s a bit far to go to any of the places mentioned for 3 months visa.

I might as well just shoot off to Cambodia for 90 days, then back

here for 90 days.

I don’t really want to live in Cambodia, I’ve been there many times for trips, but I

love Thailand, that’s why I pack’t up and moved here.

I did go to the immigration office near the Chiang Mai airport, I tried to find out

what’s the story with the visa situ, “we wait for letter from Bangkok, but don’t worry now”

So if this really doz come into full effect, then that means I’ve got 4 weeks to make a plan,

(last visa run 27th sept)

Has anybody got any great suggestions out there for me.

But not ‘get a job’, or ‘go home’.

Is marrage the only real loophole worth going for?

I don't really want to pop down to 7/11 to find a bride to go!

I haven't been to Laos for years. Do you just need to show up at the border with passport and money to get in, or is more required?

For most Farangs, that and USD 30 plus a passport sized photo is enough, though you can pay an additional 1 USD if you don't have the photo. There may be additional restrictions on nationals of certain countries, but for all countries I'm aware of that's all that's needed. They give you a VOA - a full-page stamp in your passport.

Edited by Soju

My problem is up here in Chiang Mai it’s a bit far to go to any of the places mentioned for 3 months visa.

here for 90 days.

I don’t really want to live in Cambodia, I’ve been there many times for trips, but I

I did go to the immigration office near the Chiang Mai airport, I tried to find out

what’s the story with the visa situ, “we wait for letter from Bangkok, but don’t worry now”

So if this really doz come into full effect, then that means I’ve got 4 weeks to make a plan,

Fly to S'pore and get a 60 + 30 tourist visa.

here for 90 days.

I give up, I'm going to Singapore. Does anyone know how fast a turn-around the Thai Embassy there has on a 60+30 Tourist Visa? Are they real rigid on seeing a ticket out of Thailand and proof of money in the bank? I can prove I have a steady income but I'd rather not purchase a ticket out of Thailand months before I'm ready to go.

here for 90 days.

there's still a lot of way on how to stay here in thailand.

my friend was just talking to the immigration officer yesterday and thier advice is that you can go out of the country and get a 3 months visa then go back after that you can make a three times boarder exit then you can go out again and get a 3 months visa again.

I will check it again to him about the complete details of this.

you're not alone in this situation there are hudreds........

but marriage is not the only way you can stay here.

If you want you can log on to www.thaivisa.com for clarification.

Cheers for that reply. i have herd of that, but like many ideas i'v read about over the last few days i want to hear from somebody who has actully done it, so i know for sure it will work for me.

i'v just come back from imagration nere chiang mai airport. they said

measai border is only open in the mornings and only giving out 10 day visa's so why dont i get one here?

so 1900baht and 15mins waiting i have now got a 10 day visa, i'll see what happens in the next 10 days, i hope they chuck in the bin.

Cheers for that reply. i have herd of that, but like many ideas i'v read about over the last few days i want to hear from somebody who has actully done it, so i know for sure it will work for me.

i'v just come back from imagration nere chiang mai airport. they said

measai border is only open in the mornings and only giving out 10 day visa's so why dont i get one here?

so 1900baht and 15mins waiting i have now got a 10 day visa, i'll see what happens in the next 10 days, i hope they chuck in the bin.

So, even maesai border is closed but at the immigration in Chiangrai, you're gonna get 30 days stamp! this was confirmed by two guys outthere. Let's call them to make sure that you're gonna get 30 days extension.

Good luck.