Facebook on Android

h90

I am new to Facebook. I got told:

1 ) I must install the Facebook App on my android phone as it is very comfortable and good to use. And easy to make a photo and direct upload it.

2 ) I must not install the Facebook App because it resides always in the memory, may listen but surely sucks on the battery.

Any comments on it?

I have a Galaxy Note 2 with customs Rom very clean....I would hate to install a battery sucker......

What does the community think smile.png

I deleted FaceBook off my Android phone because it was one of many apps that kept a live connection running in the background and running my battery to practically zero every day.

Since removing all those apps, and a few others after rooting the phone, it now goes three days between charges.

That said, if you NEED it, you need it. But really, find out if you NEED it to run in the background 24/7:

will you only be posting when the need arises, or

will you also need to instantly read what OTHER PEOPLE are posting?

Two different run-time scenarios.

Also, why not do a test.

For three days: fully charge the battery overnight, then read the battery percentage remaining at the end of the day (when you put it back on the charger).

Install FaceBook (or FaceBook Messenger, if you don't need the full FaceBook)

For three (or more) days, fully charge the battery overnight, then read the battery percentage remaining at the end of the day.

Note: I have LINE running in the background 24/7 with no real battery waste. Maybe I could do the same with FB Messenger.

Most, if any, of my FaceBook posts and reads are done on a PC. It's not critical that I get them instantly.

Also: I have ES TaskManager loaded and set to KILL certain battery sucking apps that want to hang around after I'm done using them.

Known issue with Facebook and battery drain for a while.

Facebook Is Rapidly Draining Your Battery: Here's One Easy Fix

New research suggests that the battery life of your Android device is being held hostage by a few rogue apps.

Security firm AVG analysed over one million AVG Android users and measured several factors including; battery life, data consumption and storage. It found that Facebook topped the list of non-game apps that had the biggest impact on your device’s overall performance. This is largely thanks to its constant background notification checks, which run when the app isn’t even in-use.

Instagram came in fourth followed closely by Spotify in fifth, with Path and 9GAG Funny Pics & Videos taking up second and third respectively.

Details here - Forbes

Also at CNET

To answer.....

Normally my phone lasts a week. When I am in the office I connect it to the electric and wouldn't care power train.

But when I travel, I use it for tethering, listen music and sometimes even read the newspaper than I can't use some App additionally kill my battery.

If I can complete turn off Facebook it would be good enough. But I worry that I can't get rid of background process and I worry that after installation and uninstall something will remain.

To install the custom Rom and than everything perfect (Garmin software wasn't easy to install) was a lot work and I don't want to mess it up.

If you don't need the instant notifications, chat, etc, then just access it though the device's web browser.

Some people who pick up FaceBook practically live on the network and use it at their standard communication medium.

If you can get away with only checking it twice a day, or less, then just use the browser version and don't install the app.

You could install it, monitor the apps' usage characteristics, and then uninstall it if it presents undue issues and challenges.

You can go in to Settings, Battery, scroll down to see which apps. are consuming your battery.

I have FB installed and it does not even register in those top 10 or 11 apps ( which range down to 2%), so assume it using less than 2%.

I worry that after installation and uninstall something will remain

Since your phone is rooted you can use Titanium Backup to completely remove the app.

Edited by bamnutsak

For sure facebook, whatsapp and messenger are the worst for baetry and i can see that when i use wakelock detector or betterbattery stats..

As a compromise why dont you try installing app ops and then turn off the startup permission, you probably wont get any notifications but you wont if its not installed either..

bts what is the custom rom you are using and is it good on battery?

Edited by 2008bangkok

For sure facebook, whatsapp and messenger are the worst for baetry and i can see that when i use wakelock detector or betterbattery stats..

As a compromise why dont you try installing app ops and then turn off the startup permission, you probably wont get any notifications but you wont if its not installed either..

bts what is the custom rom you are using and is it good on battery?

Don't know app ops...will look into it.

the custom rom is still a 4.4.x, but it runs so well and without problems that I don't want to change it.

I turned the background to black and if the phone only runs in standby without wifi or mobile data it lasts forever. I think the screen is a terrible battery eater on this phone. Looking GPS with mobile data on is hard on the bat and I doubt any ROM can help.

If you are still interested let me know and I check what rom it is (I don't have my phone with me at the moment).

ime it is a battery sucker but a few other apps are as bad or owrse , i use a note 4

i use 2 battterys most days

i bought the south korean version spare battery and charger combo for 1400? on lazada

now i dont care about battery conseravtion ,i use the phone in the most convanient matter like it was designed for

somedays thats gps when im driving and i never yruen off wifi , data or locational services

i leave google now runing and everything else that may come in handy

to close .1 battery isnt enough for a day if your a heavy user (like me)

2 full batteries has changed my usage pattern completely , i used to turn things on and off often too but that became

a pain in tha ballz so i purchased the spare battery ,external charger and a 30,000 MaH powerbank just in case

now i can use it flat out without disabling anything ,(total cost was around 2k i think but worth it because havent worried about power since )