How does the Ark Bar continue to get away with their excessive noise pollution?

The locals have been raised to not care about their health, comfort, or safety. Extreme noise is just one sub-category of all that. I am not saying it is right, I think they cause themselves a lot of problems, sleepless nights, hearing damage etc., but the point is it just isn't considered an issue to most Thais. Even my wife who hates the noise is adamant that we not complain to anyone whenever an all night festa with giga-mega-bass kicks off.

Maybe in the same way that if someone points their foot at me, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. If I had never spent time in Thailand and a Thai on public transportation in the U.S. called me out for pointing my foot at him I'd probably pat him on the head and say, "Chill out! What's the deal here anyway, why are you so upset about that? Don't be silly!(pat pat pat again)" I have found in the past that if I get myself together to politely suggest that noise is an issue, it flies about as far as a Thai asking a local in the US to stop pointing their foot in his direction. They just don't get it.

The speaker volumes have really been ramping up in the last few years. Apparently there are new technologies or something that make concert festival sound systems affordable to anyone. One family in our villlage even runs their television audio through one. The reasoning is that they don't want to appear to be hogging the televison for themselves that are just sharing with everyone whatever show they are watching.

The local Buddhist temple in our village sponsors shin digs that last all night for entire weeks. Ironically our contributions have no doubt gone to fund this killer sound system. Little did we know. The house, the entire village is literally shaking from very powerful sub-sonic bass frequencies. Ear plugs are no use, your body is being vibrated you are literally in the middle of a low frequency tsunami . I will be leaving town next time it happens and wait it out for them to finish, the new style bass speakers and amps are truly at weapons grade level, it is semi-traumatic, but there is no way you can get them to stop. It has been claimed in our village that a new born baby died from the bass frequencies and still it doesn't occur to anyone that maybe they ought to lay off.

You just have to get away from there unfortunately or learn to somehow psychologically block the reality of it out, maybe a self-hypnosis course or something and you could learn to do what Thais seem to have an inborn gift for doing: erasing the reality of anything unpleasant or just sleeping through it.

There seems to be this myth that you can do nothing about noise pollution here. You can, but you have to go the right way about it,it's no good appealing to the Thais causing the noise. I have twice now gone to the police station and made an official complaint and demanded a written report of my complaint, it's helpful if you speak Thai, usually my missus stands next to me and tells the officers that her farang husband is so annoyed he will get a lawyer to look into the matter if they don't do their job, wonder of wonders, it works when two pissed off policeman have to drive 20 km into the village about a minor complaint and start having a go at the miscreant causing the noise while touching their guns at the same time, it stops and not just for a few weeks.

Normally that might work. But the police on samui are so fabulously incompetent and useless. And the Ark Bar owns them and the army both. A friend went to the minister in charge of noise. Yes, there is one. He squirmed in his seat for an hour while hearing how my friend was going to have to shut down his hotel, due to his guests checking out over the Ark Bar hooliganism. The volume on the hills of Chaweng Noi is ridiculous. Nothing got done. The only thing that will work is the Army behaving like men, and doing real work. Will they? Up until now they seem to be leaving Samui alone. I think even the Army realizes Samui is beyond law and order. Either the powers that be are too powerful or there are other forces at work on Samui.

Yes Samui is different, its the wild west of Thailand, i knew it 25 years ago when it was still nice, now they might just as well put a toilette seat over the island.

It is still a beautiful island, as the natural beauty on Samui, once you get off the ring road, up into the hills is amazing. But, too many locals have decided their top priority is to extract as much cash as they can, and that is paramount to anything else in their lives. The lack of local pride is astonishing. The lack of leadership here is mind numbing. It is not the island it used to be. I am packing up and moving on. Will stay in Thailand, as I love this country, but my days on Samui are over.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is now an every night thing again. For awhile it was occasional. Now, every night past about 9pm, one can hear their music blaring incessantly, until 2am. They are an unbelievable blight on the face of Samui. A boil on the skin of the island. A pestilence tearing at the very fabric of the island. And nobody does anything. Mayor Ramnate, are you sleeping at the wheel, once again? What important business are you attending to, anyway? Five star hotels are suffering, and you are doing what, exactly?

Mayor Ramnate, are you sleeping at the wheel, once again? What important business are you attending to, anyway? Five star hotels are suffering, and you are doing what, exactly?

The mayor is only boss of the Tessabahn, what makes you think he can boss the police?

Mayor Ramnate, are you sleeping at the wheel, once again? What important business are you attending to, anyway? Five star hotels are suffering, and you are doing what, exactly?

The mayor is only boss of the Tessabahn, what makes you think he can boss the police?

The mayor(s) in Phuket could..

Also Cha Cha Moon Beach Club (same owners as Sound and Solo), next to Ark Bar, plays loud music, but perhaps not every night. Cha Cha Moon even sometimes have Wold Class DJ’s and can ask for 1200 bath entrance fee – believe it or not, last time I tried to go there, it was “Sold Out”; never thought I should experience that for a Chaweng beach party...sad.png

More and more people comes to Chaweng to party on the beach and in the clubs, so I think the financial odds are against any action to close these places, as the numbers are in thousands - if not ten thousand - providing a lot of income for both this island, and the neighboring Full Moon Party island when they commute over there once a month.

But as you, SpiderMike, says, that you have dicided to move away from Samui, the problem seem to be solved for you. thumbsup.gif

-control the police at Samui, really...?

Absolutely without a doubt, if the mayor decided this was a serious enough issue, he could bring enough pressure to bear, to solve this problem. He does not care. He is detached. He is focused on priorities that do not necessarily benefit tourists, expats, and the locals here, it would appear.

<Post deleted, as otherwise too many posts in tread>

Absolutely without a doubt, if the mayor decided this was a serious enough issue, he could bring enough pressure to bear, to solve this problem. He does not care. He is detached. He is focused on priorities that do not necessarily benefit tourists, expats, and the locals here, it would appear.

The mayor at Phuket...?

<Post deleted, as otherwise too many posts in tread>

The mayor at Phuket...?

Duh. This entire thread is about Samui. Hello.

Also Cha Cha Moon Beach Club (same owners as Sound and Solo), next to Ark Bar, plays loud music, but perhaps not every night. Cha Cha Moon even sometimes have Wold Class DJ’s and can ask for 1200 bath entrance fee – believe it or not, last time I tried to go there, it was “Sold Out”; never thought I should experience that for a Chaweng beach party...sad.png

More and more people comes to Chaweng to party on the beach and in the clubs, so I think the financial odds are against any action to close these places, as the numbers are in thousands - if not ten thousand - providing a lot of income for both this island, and the neighboring Full Moon Party island when they commute over there once a month.

But as you, SpiderMike, says, that you have dicided to move away from Samui, the problem seem to be solved for you. thumbsup.gif

The problem may be solved for me. But, there are dozens of hotels and villas, that have invested billions of baht on the beach, and up in the hills, south and west of these vermin, that are suffering in a huge way. It is inconceivable that they would all be ignored, in favor of two clubs. Cha Cha Moon is a very small problem. Their music is not as loud and they do not have the massive banks of speakers. It is all on the Ark Bar rats. That pestilent, obnoxious, lawless, unruly, uncooperative, community averse, irresponsible organization is causing all the problems. Edited by spidermike007

A few years ago, the army or the police, came in and confiscated a whole battery of their speakers. Just trucked them away. Once again, there is no respect for a decent volume, and since their speakers point out toward the sea, there is nothing to block their noise pollution. They do not have the discipline to self control. Someone else has to do it. Who will step up and control the infestation?

The mayor at Phuket...?

Duh. This entire thread is about Samui. Hello.

laugh.png I know, Spidermike - joking, as talking about Phuket mayor...

This is Samui and not Phuket, and Samui may well have their own way of sorting things out, I thought you knew...

The problem may be solved for me. But, there are dozens of hotels and villas, that have invested billions of baht on the beach, and up in the hills, south and west of these vermin, that are suffering in a huge way. It is inconceivable that they would all be ignored, in favor of two clubs. Cha Cha Moon is a very small problem. Their music is not as loud and they do not have the massive banks of speakers. It is all on the Ark Bar rats. That pestilent, obnoxious, lawless, unruly, uncooperative, community averse, irresponsible organization is causing all the problems.
My cleaver lawyer here said – and that was a local case where one major plot owner partially obstructed road access, and thereby irritated the other plot owners using the private road, which has been used for more than 10 years and therefore after Thai Law constitutes road right – my lawyer said, »it has to be a Thai complaining«. The semi-blocked part of the road led to little more farang houses than Thai; my lawyer owns one of the houses in question, but he is British. Unfortunately the few Thais having houses on the road, even they were irritated about the road, for one-or-other-reason they did not want to complain.
My other lawyer, who is Thai, told me (several years back) that »one thing is what they (the Government) decide up in Bangkok, another thing is Samui; there is a long distance from Bangkok to Samui, and the people on this island have their own interpretation of the law.« I think we experienced that during the curfew...
A farang expat who complain or rant probably won’t change anything; but if some powerful (enough) locals wish to change it – the nightlife in Chaweng and Beach Parties – they can do it. And as expats have no votes, I presume the mayor instead looks at what generates most income for the local population – the voters – and for the best of Samui...?
To be honest, I believe there are situations where we expats just have to accept, that things are as they are the Thai way; and if we cannot do that, we are free to leave, we were not invited to live here...
And let me please add, that I fully understand you, Spidermike – knowing how irritating noise and unwanted sounds can be – but Chaweng Beach has been “noisy” party-zone long time; for the past 25+ years.

The problem may be solved for me. But, there are dozens of hotels and villas, that have invested billions of baht on the beach, and up in the hills, south and west of these vermin, that are suffering in a huge way. It is inconceivable that they would all be ignored, in favor of two clubs. Cha Cha Moon is a very small problem. Their music is not as loud and they do not have the massive banks of speakers. It is all on the Ark Bar rats. That pestilent, obnoxious, lawless, unruly, uncooperative, community averse, irresponsible organization is causing all the problems.

My cleaver lawyer here said – and that was a local case where one major plot owner partially obstructed road access, and thereby irritated the other plot owners using the private road, which has been used for more than 10 years and therefore after Thai Law constitutes road right – my lawyer said, »it has to be a Thai complaining«. The semi-blocked part of the road led to little more farang houses than Thai; my lawyer owns one of the houses in question, but he is British. Unfortunately the few Thais having houses on the road, even they were irritated about the road, for one-or-other-reason they did not want to complain.

My other lawyer, who is Thai, told me (several years back) that »one thing is what they (the Government) decide up in Bangkok, another thing is Samui; there is a long distance from Bangkok to Samui, and the people on this island have their own interpretation of the law.« I think we experienced that during the curfew...

A farang expat who complain or rant probably won’t change anything; but if some powerful (enough) locals wish to change it – the nightlife in Chaweng and Beach Parties – they can do it. And as expats have no votes, I presume the mayor instead looks at what generates most income for the local population – the voters – and for the best of Samui...?

To be honest, I believe there are situations where we expats just have to accept, that things are as they are the Thai way; and if we cannot do that, we are free to leave, we were not invited to live here...

And let me please add, that I fully understand you, Spidermike – knowing how irritating noise and unwanted sounds can be – but Chaweng Beach has been “noisy” party-zone long time; for the past 25+ years.

Excellent points. Well taken, and I am very, very, very thankful to say I am leaving Samui. I love Samui. I had ten amazing years on Samui. But, it is time to move on. The issues and problems of Samui have become too much for me, and I am happy to move on. The incessant construction, the traffic, the jaded locals, the lack of law and order, the lack of traffic safety, the ridiculously overpriced food, the road maniacs, will all be left behind, gladly. Will stay in Thailand for sure. But, Samui is not the same island I moved to ten years ago, and it has lost a lot of it's magic, at least for me. As Shakespeare would have said, a plague on the owners and managers of the Ark Bar.

Excellent points. Well taken, and I am very, very, very thankful to say I am leaving Samui. I love Samui. I had ten amazing years on Samui. But, it is time to move on. The issues and problems of Samui have become too much for me, and I am happy to move on. The incessant construction, the traffic, the jaded locals, the lack of law and order, the lack of traffic safety, the ridiculously overpriced food, the road maniacs, will all be left behind, gladly. Will stay in Thailand for sure. But, Samui is not the same island I moved to ten years ago, and it has lost a lot of it's magic, at least for me. As Shakespeare would have said, a plague on the owners and managers of the Ark Bar.

Thanks. I wish you good luck and hope you find the right place for you in Thailand. smile.png

It is now an every night thing again. For awhile it was occasional. Now, every night past about 9pm, one can hear their music blaring incessantly, until 2am. They are an unbelievable blight on the face of Samui. A boil on the skin of the island. A pestilence tearing at the very fabric of the island. And nobody does anything. Mayor Ramnate, are you sleeping at the wheel, once again? What important business are you attending to, anyway? Five star hotels are suffering, and you are doing what, exactly?

jeez mate, lighten up. you should go down there and have a few beers its a great night out, best bar on samui

Ark bar was there well before the 5 star hotels, they knew where they were building. Honestly reminds me of the people moving into flats constructed in vibrant nightlife areas in the UK and then complaining about the music from the long running bars and clubs in the area.

Many would genuinely believe that the blight on the island is the mass construction, gentrification and 'normalisation', not the noise from a long running well known party bar.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Ark bar was there well before the 5 star hotels, they knew where they were building. Honestly reminds me of the people moving into flats constructed in vibrant nightlife areas in the UK and then complaining about the music from the long running bars and clubs in the area.

Many would genuinely believe that the blight on the island is the mass construction, gentrification and 'normalisation', not the noise from a long running well known party bar.

yeah, why anyone would move to Samui (or Pha Ngan for that matter) with an aversion to loud music is beyond me Edited by ColdSingha

Ark bar like a lot of venues with heavy influence flaunt the law, there are guidelines on what is acceptable & what is not. The Junta has put out a publication about how to address such problems, I would be more then happy to PM you a link as it was in the Bangkok post & that is not allowed here.

Sure the Ark bar has been there for a long period but from memory the complaints only started recently. We have a member here that was the GM I suppose & he explained at the time their policy about level of music & the times they turn it down & their concerns about noise disturbance.

I suppose that all went out of the window & the new management have got different ideas & standards on how to attract clientele & I suppose fit in with the rest of the commercial venues..

Now for the big question Ok ? My neighbours & I were on our properties, well before an illegal bar opened & thumping it's loud music at all times. Now can you please give me your spin on this, I can't wait. Shall I move ? Frequent the bar more?smile.png

yeah, why anyone would move to Samui (or Pha Ngan for that matter) with an aversion to loud music is beyond me

I suppose that is not the only thing that is beyond you.rolleyes.gif

jeez mate, lighten up. you should go down there and have a few beers its a great night out, best bar on samui

That comment is so inane and so lacking in substance and relevance, that it does not count as anything but fluff. Lighten up? I have been subjected to the noise for seven years. Try that one mate. Every night.

Ark bar like a lot of venues with heavy influence flaunt the law, there are guidelines on what is acceptable & what is not. The Junta has put out a publication about how to address such problems, I would be more then happy to PM you a link as it was in the Bangkok post & that is not allowed here.

Sure the Ark bar has been there for a long period but from memory the complaints only started recently. We have a member here that was the GM I suppose & he explained at the time their policy about level of music & the times they turn it down & their concerns about noise disturbance.

I suppose that all went out of the window & the new management have got different ideas & standards on how to attract clientele & I suppose fit in with the rest of the commercial venues..

Now for the big question Ok ? My neighbours & I were on our properties, well before an illegal bar opened & thumping it's loud music at all times. Now can you please give me your spin on this, I can't wait. Shall I move ? Frequent the bar more?smile.png

Bit of a different scenario, a long standing legal bar, reportedly breaching their licence (or perhaps just operating with less concern than prior owners) vs an illegally operating bar.

The only recourse is to report and continue reporting, being persistent and going higher and higher. Expensive and likely to take a long time I am sure unfortunately, if you're up against connected people.

I get that noise can be extremely disruptive to life, and indeed empathise, however in the case of the Ark bar (and Green Mango area), my view is that being disturbed by noise in the vicinity is as predictable and expected as heavy rain in monsoon season, and has been for well over ten years (probably over double that, but 2005 was my first visit). That said, reading the OP again, it may well be that 'the vicinity' has grown rather a lot since I last visited. That was around 4 years ago though, so within the last 7, and it didn't seem excessive to me then for a beach bar of that style.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Yes, please pm me instructions on how to contact the junta. I would be happy to report these law breakers. With pleasure and glee.

Bit of a different scenario, a long standing legal bar, reportedly breaching their licence (or perhaps just operating with less concern than prior owners) vs an illegally operating bar.

The only recourse is to report and continue reporting, being persistent and going higher and higher. Expensive and likely to take a long time I am sure unfortunately, if you're up against connected people.

I get that noise can be extremely disruptive to life, and indeed empathise, however in the case of the Ark bar (and Green Mango area), my view is that being disturbed by noise in the vicinity is as predictable and expected as heavy rain in monsoon season, and has been for well over ten years (probably over double that, but 2005 was my first visit). That said, reading the OP again, it may well be that 'the vicinity' has grown rather a lot since I last visited. That was around 4 years ago though, so within the last 7, and it didn't seem excessive to me then for a beach bar of that style.

I am about 5km. away, and their music can be heard across the bay, very clearly, every night. They are breaking many laws regarding the volume of their music. But, since there is no law and order on Samui, it is not particularly relevant. Samui has been forgotten by all authorities including the junta.

That comment is so inane and so lacking in substance and relevance, that it does not count as anything but fluff. Lighten up? I have been subjected to the noise for seven years. Try that one mate. Every night.

7 years of subjection? and you didn't move on? you just took it? night after night?

words fail me cheesy.gif

7 years of subjection? and you didn't move on? you just took it? night after night?

words fail me cheesy.gif

Sometimes they would get their hands slapped by the police or the army, and they would tone it down for months at a time. Then they would always start up again. When you have money invested in a dream house, it is not always easy to move on. It is a real shangri la, except for the noise from the worms.

the from ark bar green mango etc maybe loud but if not for them would the island be where it is today without these places i lived here 16 years and my house was in front of the lake partys the closest to it you just have to adjust your life style a bit close windows and the like .i left 4 years ago but im on my way back still have property here and missed beach life .said i would not come back but samui is in ny blood ..

the from ark bar green mango etc maybe loud but if not for them would the island be where it is today without these places i lived here 16 years and my house was in front of the lake partys the closest to it you just have to adjust your life style a bit close windows and the like .i left 4 years ago but im on my way back still have property here and missed beach life .said i would not come back but samui is in ny blood ..

Nothing like peaceful contemplation to ruin your day. Imagine lying on the beach with your eyes closed listening to the wind and waves,awful ! much better to have some moron blowing our your eardrums out while you slowly get drunk.

WRONG ! Best bar on the island by far is Billabong Bar in Lamai, with 50 stunning dancers at any one time in skimpy outfits that are changed colour and style daily ! Ark Bar blleeaagghh !!!!