Best Sunday brunch in Bangkok ?

roamer

Title says it all really. Daughter and boyfriend visiting Bangkok so it's a treat. Romantic setting would help. Not done it for a while and last time was Marriot Riverside. I can read online reviews but would prefer personal experience. Trader Vics at Anantara is one possibility. Any suggestions ?

Most of the hotels here put on a really nice spread (western, Thai, Chinese) for Sunday - this includes all the big chains. For a real treat there's only one answer to you "best Brunch" question: the Kempinski.

Siam Kempinski:http://www.kempinski.com/en/bangkok/siam-hotel/dining/culinary-highlights/brasserie-europa-sunday-family-lunch/ If I had to choose a last meal, it would be here. Hands down. Put's the Bellagio in Vegas to shame - not with quantity, but with quality. Amazing sashimi, al-la-carte menu and a dessert room... thinking about it is making me drool.

Another really good one is Plaza Athenee: http://www.plazaatheneebangkok.com/forms/buffetofferseng

Not sure how "romantic" breakfast will be whilst dining on a Sunday morning with 100 of your closest friends. wink.png

Edited by DirtyDan

I like the Marriot or the Sheraton puts on a pretty good spread. I eat out most nights and usually try a buffet lunch every Sunday. I stay at the Marriot usually two weeks a month when I fly into Bangkok.

Plaza Athenee has a good buffet also ....

The Four Seasons was rebranded to an Anatara... so doubt the FS quality will still be there ( Note that I'm not cutting down Anatara on the river as I really enjoyed the buffet there 3 years ago, don't remember if it was in the Trader Vic's restaurant or just their regular one)? I've heard good recommendations about the Sukothai as well. (will have to try that one out eventually).

Thanks guys. Going to put these to them and let them decide. The kempinski looks really good as they are big sashimi fans and I know the pool is nice too. Lord Jims, that is wonderful but more for the wife and I at another time I think. Brunch in Bangkok is one of life's great experiences and I'm sure they will enjoy their pick.

Thanks again. smile.png

Thanks guys. Going to put these to them and let them decide. The kempinski looks really good as they are big sashimi fans and I know the pool is nice too. Lord Jims, that is wonderful but more for the wife and I at another time I think. Brunch in Bangkok is one of life's great experiences and I'm sure they will enjoy their pick.

Thanks again. smile.png

Not so much my thing for Sunday Brunch but Tsunami at the Marriott has been mentioned to me a few times as excellent for its Japanese Sunday Brunch....worth considering.

Thanks again. smile.png

"Brunch in Bangkok is one of life's great experiences... "

I might put that on a t-shirt.

Thanks to those who have suggested new ideas too!

I'd give the Grand Hyatt Erawan a go---it's a nice setting in their Spasso Italian Restaurant.

But, if they will venture to Pattaya, treat them to brunch at Mantra Restaurant at the Amari hotel on Sundays 11 AM - 3 PM. It is the mother of all brunches---fantastic food, great service in a beautifully designed setting.

Have heard excellent reporrts about the Intercontinental but yet to visit. Anyone? Have been to the Marriott on Sukhumvit and to me it was OK but nothing special.

If you are ever in Chaing Mai for the first Sunday of the month try the Meridien but you have to book. Bloody marvellous with 3 types of French oysters / Canadian prime rib and Canadian lobster amongst the offerings. Price around 1,800baht and includes one lobster per couple.

Have heard excellent reporrts about the Intercontinental but yet to visit. Anyone? Have been to the Marriott on Sukhumvit and to me it was OK but nothing special.

If you are ever in Chaing Mai for the first Sunday of the month try the Meridien but you have to book. Bloody marvellous with 3 types of French oysters / Canadian prime rib and Canadian lobster amongst the offerings. Price around 1,800baht and includes one lobster per couple.

Intercon on Sundays is seafood buffet...very good with half a proper lobster included each...nice selection...good cheeseboard for afters too.

All those wonderful expensive hotels offer, no doubt, an excellent brunch. Now for peop[le of lower stature can one recommend a reletively good place for one to have a decent brunch? I would like to expand the topic a little bit by requesting info about good buffet lunches, again not in top notch places.

Thanks

The Four Seasons was rebranded to an Anatara... so doubt the FS quality will still be there ( Note that I'm not cutting down Anatara on the river as I really enjoyed the buffet there 3 years ago, don't remember if it was in the Trader Vic's restaurant or just their regular one)? I've heard good recommendations about the Sukothai as well. (will have to try that one out eventually).

I had dinner at the Ananatara (formerly Four Seasons) last night.

Aside from the name change it was no different to when it was still Four Seasons. Same staff that I remember from previous visits, everything was the same quality.

All those wonderful expensive hotels offer, no doubt, an excellent brunch. Now for peop[le of lower stature can one recommend a reletively good place for one to have a decent brunch? I would like to expand the topic a little bit by requesting info about good buffet lunches, again not in top notch places.

Thanks

Along those lines some recommendations for good dim sum buffets might not go amiss. I've heard the Plaza Athenee does a pretty good one, any other suggestions ?

Thanks

The best in the cheap category is the Ibis on Suk Soi 4.

Intercontinental at Siam (great, also do a free flow Champagne if that's what you like)

Hilton Millenium on the River (great Cheese room)

Sheraton Asoke - great food and has the live Jazz)

St Regis - probably the creme de la creme in Bangkok

The Peninsular (seasonal, so check first)

IMO: The Sukhothai offers one of the nicest Sunday Brunches...

The Four Seasons is reputed as being one of the best.

I've not tried the Siam Kempinski, but doubt that anyone could be disappointed.

As already mentioned - Trader Vic's is not quite up there but for the price its ok.

I agree Sukhothai is very good, not too loud. I like the Grand Sheraton too.

Edited by ericthai

The Intercontinental does it for me....pan fried Fois Gras....

Mentioned before, but Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit has a fantastic spread for Sunday Brunch.

I used to be a regular here but sadly I think the food standard at this hotel has declined significantly over the last few years. I don't know the reason but suspect it's about cutting costs; eg seafood not fresh enough.i wouldn't expect a Sheraton to be up to the Orientals standard but, imo, it's now way behind places nearby like the Marriott or Grand Hyatt. It's a great shame because I used to be a big fan of this hotel.

Edited by wordchild

The Intercontinental does it for me....pan fried Fois Gras....

The Marriott has the pan fried fois gras as well...its very good.

I'd give the Grand Hyatt Erawan a go---it's a nice setting in their Spasso Italian Restaurant.

But, if they will venture to Pattaya, treat them to brunch at Mantra Restaurant at the Amari hotel on Sundays 11 AM - 3 PM. It is the mother of all brunches---fantastic food, great service in a beautifully designed setting.

The Mantra is indeed a great buffet, but may be too far to go for brunch--I usually don't arise until the crack of noon.

I waded through wagyu steak with a dry syrah, king crab and San Miguel Light, sashimi with Junmai sake, and white and dark chocolate-covered strawberries with Otard and coffee--about an hour on each course; the plebes, of course, had rice or potatoes, veggies, and shrimp, pork or chicken.

Thanks

The Majestic Grande on Sukhumvit soi 2 has a weekday lunch buffet for B399 that is a very good value. Always a roast of some kind and excellent prepared selections.

It's a bit difficult to find as it's on an upper floor. Ask at the front desk.