Dog Died.

Last night I noticed one of the dogs kept on trotting around the house and grounds non stop, it has floppy ears but they were sticking straight up.

I did not recognise the dog because of this and pointed it out to the wife, I said "I'm going to get that dog out of here" she then said No, it is our dog,

it's not well.

It looked so different because of it's ears pointing up. In the morning it was lying dead at the side of the house.

Anyone got any idea what could have happened to it?

Dunno about your dog, but I once had a cat back in Farangistan that was hit by a car. No apparent injuries but it got quite a thump on the head as it was unconscious for a few minutes until the neighbour got it off the road.

We kept him inside all evening and he just walked around the perimeter of the room non stop. Couldn't be enticed to eat or drink and when I went back to check on him at 2am, he was still walking around edge of the room.

Next morning, dead on the carpet. Obviously some sort of brain injury.

Maybe your dog had something similar?

Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear this. smile.png

As Gsr says, it could well have been caused by a blow to the head.

Was he ok prior to this, or did he show any change of behaviour?

It is one of four dogs, I was in Pattaya with some mates, when I came home, my wife just said he was not well.

It never goes out the gate, so it's unlikely it was hit by anything.

The main thing for me was it looked very thin, I thought it was another dog the same colour, it had floppy ears

like a labrador, it's mother is part Lab, and they were sticking straight up.

It was the fact that it's ears were straight up I could not understand, I hoped that would give somebody a clue.

rabies comes to mind; prevalant in thailand, husband's father's dog had rabies when we were visiting last year... it bit someone, husband's father shot the dog and the bitten person went and got series of rabies vaccines. the dog was prowling and moving constantly, and acting very wierd... rabid animals in general dont lay donw and act sick rather move around, due to intense discomfort , lack of muscle control (swallowing, drinking, hence the term hydrophobia)... not saying its , but certainly could be if not vaccinated in the past two /three years by the thai vets that come around to vaccinate.

rabies comes to mind; prevalant in thailand, husband's father's dog had rabies when we were visiting last year... it bit someone, husband's father shot the dog and the bitten person went and got series of rabies vaccines. the dog was prowling and moving constantly, and acting very wierd... rabid animals in general dont lay donw and act sick rather move around, due to intense discomfort , lack of muscle control (swallowing, drinking, hence the term hydrophobia)... not saying its , but certainly could be if not vaccinated in the past two /three years by the thai vets that come around to vaccinate.

No rabies, other three dogs OK, I think it was hit by a vehicle, the gates are always open through the day although the dogs never seem to go out.

It was probably hit on the head as it just kept trotting around, and it's normally floppy ears were sticking straight up leaving me to think it was a strange

dog.

so sorry possum.could it have been tick infection.

Maybe that's possible, but when a dog is ill, it lies down and stays there, this one was trotting about like a horse, non stop all the time.

It's hard to tell if it was poisoned unless, anybody saw it vomiting or showing discomfort.

But I'll second Meatboy's guess! Strangely, death from tick infection could show no signs at all.

A friend's dog died unexpectedly once, and the only reason we knew was because it was diagnosed with tick infection a month earlier.

My condolences for your loss.

Get your other dogs tested for blood parasites (from ticks).

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ehrlichia_infection_in_dogs.html

My dogs are being treated for same right now and I also live in Chonburi province. We were away for a few days with a neighbor looking after the dogs. When we returned one was acting not right in the head. Barking at things that were not there. Could not sit still but also was showing signs of not being stable on his legs, almost like he was drunk. Barking at walls. This sort of thing. The other (they are brothers from the same litter... Thai dogs) seemed fine. Took them both in the next day and they tested positive for blood parasites. Two weeks into treatment now (for both of them) and the sick one is almost back to normal but still very thin.

May be that it's not this, but you should check. Dogs can appear healthy for months or years before showing signs and dying shortly thereafter.

• 2 weeks later...

My dogs are being treated for same right now and I also live in Chonburi province. We were away for a few days with a neighbor looking after the dogs. When we returned one was acting not right in the head. Barking at things that were not there. Could not sit still but also was showing signs of not being stable on his legs, almost like he was drunk. Barking at walls. This sort of thing. The other (they are brothers from the same litter... Thai dogs) seemed fine. Took them both in the next day and they tested positive for blood parasites. Two weeks into treatment now (for both of them) and the sick one is almost back to normal but still very thin.

May be that it's not this, but you should check. Dogs can appear healthy for months or years before showing signs and dying shortly thereafter.

Firstly, my heart-felt condolence to Khun Possum for the loss. I can imagine the pain :-(

Secondly to Ajarn San. I'm glad to know that your four-legged babies got recovered from blood parasites (from ticks). Would you please (if you know) inform what sort of medication was given to your dogs?

My 1.5 yo GSD was diagnosed with similar ailment (low count of pallets in his blood). After 2 months of anti-biotic, prescribed by Kasetsard Animal Hospital, BKK, his blood pallet count remains low (160,000 instead of 200,000 normal). The doctor has taken him off the medication and advised that monthly injections for ticks should continue (which we do since puppyhood).

His body weight remains constant (approx. 39 kg) and doesn't show any weakness.

Should I seek a second opinion?

Cheers

shamimoto it will be a worrying time for you,ours had the problem that took 10weeks to get him back to normal,if you look in the forum you will see i posted all his blood tests and his medication[as many as 14tabs a day.] the topic,COULD THIS BE HIS LAST BIRTHDAY 30th of jan..

Edited by meatboy

Its doxycyaline.....same used as humans.

Its a four to six week treatment regime. vets here like only two weeks it seems. There is a formula in a syringe that has metered doses and it tastes good to dogs and is not so harsh on there stomachs.

Need to watch liver and kidney function and curtail the diet ....Royal Cannen Hepatic food is best.

These ticks can also be the size of a pin head as well. Sometimes I cant see them so be careful.

Firstly, my heart-felt condolence to Khun Possum for the loss. I can imagine the pain :-(

Secondly to Ajarn San. I'm glad to know that your four-legged babies got recovered from blood parasites (from ticks). Would you please (if you know) inform what sort of medication was given to your dogs?

My 1.5 yo GSD was diagnosed with similar ailment (low count of pallets in his blood). After 2 months of anti-biotic, prescribed by Kasetsard Animal Hospital, BKK, his blood pallet count remains low (160,000 instead of 200,000 normal). The doctor has taken him off the medication and advised that monthly injections for ticks should continue (which we do since puppyhood).

His body weight remains constant (approx. 39 kg) and doesn't show any weakness.

Should I seek a second opinion?

Cheers

Not sure they are definitively recovered, actually. Just that the one who was showing serious signs of illness now seems almost back to normal. I don't know the names of the the meds they are on - my wife has been managing most of this - but will photo the OPD card and post it when we go back in a couple days if that might be helpful to some.They had injections on diagnosis and were put on a regimen of three different pills a day. We were told to come back in two weeks for a second injection which we did, and are now into week four of the pills. We go back again in a couple days for blood tests again to see if they still test positive for the parasites.

I am told Kasetsart is one of the best vet. hosps. in the country, though, so sounds like you're in good hands. Will update after next visit and tests. Hoping your dog is doing well.