Thai police break up alleged counterfeit ID card ring for foreigners

webfact

how can these cards be counterfiet ??

they are REAL !!

counterfiet means COPY, FAKE, Not the real thing.

these cards are 100% REAL... but illegally sold and used by other people.

also: very odd how a foreigner could try to pull off looking like a Thai Person and not speak good thai.

I guess he could say he grew up abroad.

but the photo!!!

so, how does having a Thai ID card enable someone to stay permanently?

they would still need to have a passport stamped.

and if its not a thai passport,,, then ??

unless they use the Thai ID card to get a passport.

but then they would show the PASSPORT to travel.. and NOT the ID card.

so how on earth was the singaporian caught?

I just dont get it.

if he travelled in or out of thailand,, he would show a PASSPORT.. (not an ID card).

ID cards are only good for domestic flights I thought.

(or was it a domestic flight).

anyway... typical thailand that a Monk was involved!! Lol

There was no flight involved. It was a border crossing.

For Thais, only an ID card is required for 'exiting' Thailand and entering some areas across the border. These are usually market areas.

They hand their ID card over at the check-point and receive a laminated card which permits them to cross the border and enter the zone across the border. The person is restricted to the 'special zone' only and cannot travel further into the country.

For us foreigners in Thailand, we simply hand over our passport (or Thai driving licence) for the 'entry card'. There are no stamps or visas involved.

When you 'return' to Thailand, you hand back the laminated card and your ID card/passport/licence is returned.

Near where I live, I often visit the market across the border, in Cambodia, using this system.

The system also works for the nationals of the bordering country to enter the markets on the Thai side of the border.

Edited by Stray

"The scheme came to light after police in Chiang Rai arrested a 50-year-old Singaporean businessman trying to enter Myanmar with a fake Thai ID card, according to Pramuan. The Singaporean man’s ID card bore the name of a Thai man from Uttaradit province who died long ago, he added."

Perhaps he was arrested because you need a passport to enter Myanmar. A Thai ID card is useless. They need to lock that state official up for a long prison sentence. But, TIT, it won't happen.

Pretty sure my wife came with me to Myanmar for the day about 12 years ago before she ever had a passport. You take the Thai id card and get a piece of paper from immigration that acts as a temporary passport and it gets the stamps. I could be wrong but I'm sure that's how it worked.

Three Day Border Pass ?

Edited by Lee4Life

Bear in mind that many farang do have Thai citizenship, and many do not speak terribly wonderful Thai - nor of course do they look Thai.

Obtaining Thai citizenship:

• Know the Thai language, including speaking, listening and understanding.
  • Be able to sing the National Anthem Sanserm Phra Baramee and pass an interview in Thai conducted by government officers.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Thailand/Thailand-Guide/Visas-Permits/Thai-Citizenship

I make the assumption the interview might ask for more than ordering 3 Changs and a drink for the bar girl. Could be wrong.