Phetchaburi Muslim community protests bacon factory

webfact

I very much doubt it. Most commercial bacon is wet cured in brine as opposed to dry curing as it used to be done and most cured bacon is smoked with liquid smoke as opposed to cold smoking.

This is purely due to cost savings. You will notice this by the lack of abundant dry cured cold smoked bacon available.

So I doubt very much if they will be getting disturbed in any way by cold or hot smoke from a real smokehouse!

I wish it were not the case. God knows we are in dire need of some proper bacon!!

The article is not clear. If it is pork and bacon processing plant, I see no problem and agree with many of the above comments. But if they are smoking the bacon and releasing the smoke into the air, the locals may have a point.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is indeed refreshing to see this mob of whingers are not only whinging in the west, also in a third world country as well , ( Thailand used to be an emerging economy ) now if my memory serves me right I think under section 44 rule they can order the bacon factory too be built in the Mosque , me doth think that these people of religion nature protest to much, loosen up ladies and enjoy life. coffee1.gif

Same the world over, they appear to believe they are entitled to govern the world , with rules from their religion. To many politicians giving into them.

Yes, especially in the UK.

Many posters appear not to have read the full article. According to the article the decision makers are proactively canvassing local opinion; to quote

“A municipal official said authorities have yet to grant a license for the company to construct the bacon factory. “Currently, it is under the process of announcing the plan to the people, and to collect their opinion,” Nat Areekul, director of the municipal factory registration division, said yesterday”.

As Bluespunk has said the local Thai Muslim community are within their rights to lobby for the plant to be located elsewhere. However, note that sixteen Thai environmentalists were murdered between 2002 and 2013, more often than not by “business interests”.

http://projects.aljazeera.com/2015/04/thailand-activists/

Thai Muslims are free to practise their religion with the protection of the Thai Constitution & the highest institution in Thailand.

Edited by simple1

@alanrchase

Your post referred to protesting in a Muslim country.

If you were referring to the citizens of Muslim countries, then the several I've lived in all allowed protests like this. Peaceful and respectful.

If you were referring to non-citizens protesting, your point does not apply to this case.

Yes.Egypt, Bahrain. No one was shot.
What?

They protested. They got shot.

The incidents in Bahrain and Egypt happened during political protests aimed at ending authoritarian rule in their countries. Authoritarian governments tend to react badly to such protests, regardless of faith.

The protest against this factory is not of that level. The countries I lived in would not have shot anyone making a similar type of protest in this manner.

It's not as if these protesters were occupying the centre of Bangkok in an attempt to overthrow the government.

As I have said in my previous replies I agree they have the right to protest. I disagree with people that protest due to religious doctrines that are not part of the law. In Mid East I conformed to their religious practices, fine by me. I did not try and force my views onto them.

they will never bow for any other religion or belives. It's Haram ( forbidden ) to eat pigs so every one else ( 98% ) has to follow that rule. Then it goes on with it's Haram to be friends with non same believes it's Haram to drink Haram to use parfume it's Haram to let the wife's go with western cloths.etc etc..all Haram to them..and for some of them ( martyres ) it's not Haram to take on a Bomb west guns or a knife to slaughter innocent people even they're own kind. And when they die they go to Muslim heaven to drink feast and have a good time with 97 virgins....Crazy

Do not give in to this attempted blackmail. They win this one and there will be another one then another. Look at other countries that have given in to such demands: all meat is halal, for example.

The appetite for pork in Thailand is high: it's what they like to eat. If a few Muslims don't like that, I know who should move on and it's not the Thais.

Take a look at UN resolution 62/154 and tell me I'm wrong ... you won't!

You łnow who should move on?

You do know these are Thai Muslims don't you?

It does not matter whether they are Thai Muslims or not. This country is 95% Buddhist, and everyone living here should respect that.

@alanrchase

If you were referring to the citizens of Muslim countries, then the several I've lived in all allowed protests like this. Peaceful and respectful.

If you were referring to non-citizens protesting, your point does not apply to this case.

What?

The incidents in Bahrain and Egypt happened during political protests aimed at ending authoritarian rule in their countries. Authoritarian governments tend to react badly to such protests, regardless of faith.

The protest against this factory is not of that level. The countries I lived in would not have shot anyone making a similar type of protest in this manner.

It's not as if these protesters were occupying the centre of Bangkok in an attempt to overthrow the government.

As I have said in my previous replies I agree they have the right to protest. I disagree with people that protest due to religious doctrines that are not part of the law. In Mid East I conformed to their religious practices, fine by me. I did not try and force my views onto them.

If their protest is peaceful and within the law, then they are entitled to do so over whatever is concerning them.

The article is not clear. If it is pork and bacon processing plant, I see no problem and agree with many of the above comments. But if they are smoking the bacon and releasing the smoke into the air, the locals may have a point.

Are any of the locals who are not Muslims complaining? If not that should be the end of this.

Let the Muslims go to a Muslim country if they don't like it here, they have their culture and

Thailand has it's culture, if they don't agree with it, let them just go.

Possum, it may surprise you to know that many parts of Thailand were originally Muslim... hence the problems in the South where Siam annexed several Muslim kingdoms as part of a deal with Britain. Also, a number of high profile Thai families (including an important member of the Royal family) can trace their families back to Muslim nobles hundreds of years ago. My point is not about bacon but the fact that we all should be more considerate of the feelings of the major cultures living around us... whether Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Khmer, Lao, Rohingya, etc.

Here we go again, they come into other countries and expect these countries to change everything for them, are those Muslims

so selfish that they think that no one else should have a religion.

Do they not realise that this is a Buddhist country, not Islam, and the people have the right to prepare and eat pork if they wish.

Instead of protesting, let them go back to where they came from or some Muslim country that will grant their wishes.

There are around forty Muslim countries in the world, why don't they go to one of them? They will not be missed.

They are in their own country.

Well let the ones who are respect the countries culture, remember 95% Buddhist.

@alanrchase

What?

If their protest is peaceful and within the law, then they are entitled to do so over whatever is concerning them.

Which is what I said. If they are allowed to disagree with me why is it wrong for me to disagree with them?

Do not give in to this attempted blackmail. They win this one and there will be another one then another. Look at other countries that have given in to such demands: all meat is halal, for example.

The appetite for pork in Thailand is high: it's what they like to eat. If a few Muslims don't like that, I know who should move on and it's not the Thais.

Take a look at UN resolution 62/154 and tell me I'm wrong ... you won't!

You łnow who should move on?

You do know these are Thai Muslims don't you?

It does not matter whether they are Thai Muslims or not. This country is 95% Buddhist, and everyone living here should respect that.

Thankfully the Thai constitution recognizes all faiths and allows them to peacefully voice their concerns.

These people are protesting peacefully and acting legally.

As they are entitled to do as citizens of this country.

Yes I can see they are Thai Muslims. What point are you making there?

When I say they should move on, what do you think that means in everyday language?

Why should they move on? It's their country.

What part of 95% Buddhist do you not understand?

Living in Thailand you should know Thai Muslims legally have equal right of peaceful protest.

You obviously did not read the article. The decision makers are proactively canvassing local opinion prior to making a final decision, why can't you respect the process?

Here we go again, they come into other countries and expect these countries to change everything for them, are those Muslims

so selfish that they think that no one else should have a religion.

Do they not realise that this is a Buddhist country, not Islam, and the people have the right to prepare and eat pork if they wish.

Instead of protesting, let them go back to where they came from or some Muslim country that will grant their wishes.

There are around forty Muslim countries in the world, why don't they go to one of them? They will not be missed.

They are in their own country.

Well let the ones who are respect the countries culture, remember 95% Buddhist.

Respect all the cultures of all the citizens.

You seem to be confusing respect with impose.

@alanrchase

What?

They are not trying to force their view on anyone.

They are, as part of a study into setting up this plant, protesting against someone imposing a plant they do not wish to have in their community.

As they are entitled to do under the law.

I once lived near an abattoir in Bradford and the stench on days when the wind was blowing in the wrong direction was appalling. If this plant is going to have a similar affect on the community I wouldn't want it near me.

In addition they also have concerns based on their faith, they should be allowed to express them.

Another example of Muslim supremacy. "I believe it, therefore you are obligated to honor my beliefs even if it interferes with business". I am offended by women in Islamic headscarves but that does not give me the right to dictate what she wears.

Who is dictating anything?

You have a right to set up a petition against headscarves, and to protest them.

So, what's your problem here?

Don't wish to have an argument, your opinions. If you live in a Muslim country try and protest about anything and see what happens. Where is the mutual respect?
You do know these people are Thais and this is their country. The actually do have the right to some forms of protest.

Bluespunk, in many of your posts I see that silver lining to defend minorities, it suits you well. I respect many of your statements although my views are mostly different without being a hater. But how can you defend that these Muslims ( although being Thai) put loudspeakers every so many meters and annoy fellow Thais with their unbearable noice? At the same time demanding a ban on a bacon factory?

Are any of the locals who are not Muslims complaining? If not that should be the end of this.

Let the Muslims go to a Muslim country if they don't like it here, they have their culture and

Thailand has it's culture, if they don't agree with it, let them just go.

Possum, it may surprise you to know that many parts of Thailand were originally Muslim... hence the problems in the South where Siam annexed several Muslim kingdoms as part of a deal with Britain. Also, a number of high profile Thai families (including an important member of the Royal family) can trace their families back to Muslim nobles hundreds of years ago. My point is not about bacon but the fact that we all should be more considerate of the feelings of the major cultures living around us... whether Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Khmer, Lao, Rohingya, etc.

Fair point, but the fact is Muslims have no respect for any other faith, you do not get Buddhists who do not respect other Faiths.

If Muslims were like Buddhists, this topic would never have started.

Don't wish to have an argument, your opinions. If you live in a Muslim country try and protest about anything and see what happens. Where is the mutual respect?
You do know these people are Thais and this is their country. The actually do have the right to some forms of protest.

Bluespunk, in many of your posts I see that silver lining to defend minorities, it suits you well. I respect many of your statements although my views are mostly different without being a hater. But how can you defend that these Muslims ( although being Thai) put loudspeakers every so many meters and annoy fellow Thais with their unbearable noice? At the same time demanding a ban on a bacon factory?

I don't like them any more than I like church bells.

@alanrchase

What?

They are not trying to force their view on anyone.

They are, as part of a study into setting up this plant, protesting against someone imposing a plant they do not wish to have in their community.

As they are entitled to do under the law.

I once lived near an abattoir in Bradford and the stench on days when the wind was blowing in the wrong direction was appalling. If this plant is going to have a similar affect on the community I wouldn't want it near me.

In addition they also have concerns based on their faith, they should be allowed to express them.

Yet again I accept their right to protest. Not on religious grounds. Do I now have to abide by Muslim doctrines in Thailand?

nuttin better in this world then a cold beer and a blt on toast . so many thai muslims eat pork and drink beer . samo samo for many Buddhists . live and let live . the Muslims have a problem with that . that is why they are at war with the world .

nuttin better in this world then a cold beer and a blt on toast . so many thai muslims eat pork and drink beer . samo samo for many Buddhists . live and let live . the Muslims have a problem with that . that is why they are at war with the world .

Suppose it would be better just to convert. Only problem there is Sunni or Shia? They seem happy enough to kill each other.

@alanrchase

You

Yet again I accept their right to protest. Not on religious grounds. Do I now have to abide by Muslim doctrines in Thailand?

Me

You don't have to abide by any Muslim practices. No has said you do.

However you cannot deny people the right to peacefully and legal protest. Even if their concerns have a faith basis.

This rally was to present a petition outlining their objections as part of a study into granting the factory a licence.

That's all.

I don't like them any more than I like church bells.

agree!

Years ago I protested along with most other residents against a halal slaughterhouse between two villages. The local muslim population was about 0.001% of the total. The area was predominantly old farmhouses and fields full of horses or hay. Needless to say, as it was England, the slaughterhouse opened. I hope the factory opens.

​OK... let's go international. Certain Muslim groups have no problem with sending a 12 year girl as a suicide bomber... but they can't tolerate bacon? Well well well. Welcome to the new world.

this an extremely unfair statement. These people cannot be associated with IS.

trolling?