Phetchaburi Muslim community protests bacon factory

webfact

They have my sympathy. If a new factory is needed, site it in the middle of an area occupied by pork-loving Buddhists, who will doubtless be as grateful as the Bisto kids at the aroma.

Thailand IS an area occupied by pork-loving Buddhists.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They live in a predominant Buddhist country so they should learn to get along with the other people in the community who don't share the same views.

Same as people of other faiths should consider their concerns.Might does not make right.

The article is not clear. If it is pork and bacon processing plant, I see no problem and agree with many of the above comments. But if they are smoking the bacon and releasing the smoke into the air, the locals may have a point.

Are any of the locals who are not Muslims complaining? If not that should be the end of this.

Let the Muslims go to a Muslim country if they don't like it here, they have their culture and

Thailand has it's culture, if they don't agree with it, let them just go.

Possum, it may surprise you to know that many parts of Thailand were originally Muslim... hence the problems in the South where Siam annexed several Muslim kingdoms as part of a deal with Britain. Also, a number of high profile Thai families (including an important member of the Royal family) can trace their families back to Muslim nobles hundreds of years ago. My point is not about bacon but the fact that we all should be more considerate of the feelings of the major cultures living around us... whether Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Khmer, Lao, Rohingya, etc.

Fair point, but the fact is Muslims have no respect for any other faith, you do not get Buddhists who do not respect other Faiths.

If Muslims were like Buddhists, this topic would never have started.

"The fact is that muslims have no respect for any other faith". It is not a fact and your statement refects total ignorance.

This is the point: They have a right to protest, they have a right to dislike something. Residents down South protested a coal-fired power station...that is their right to not want it....just as it is these Muslims right to not want this.

If you don't complain, you're going to get walked over...TIT. Good on them for complaining.

The valid points that they may have are contamination of the water, and contamination of the air from smoke.....or simply that they just don't want it.

I gather from the people that disagree with their right to protest that it is because they disagree with Muslims, period. They forget that it is everyone's right to protest, for whatever reason they want.

Of course.... Its good to protest in other Countries... Not so good in Saudi etc.

Water and Air quality in Thailand... What a joke

Be a good guy and go to Saudi and protest.....

50 people protest over a pig farm.... grow up belters

The article is not clear. If it is pork and bacon processing plant, I see no problem and agree with many of the above comments. But if they are smoking the bacon and releasing the smoke into the air, the locals may have a point.

Are any of the locals who are not Muslims complaining? If not that should be the end of this.

Let the Muslims go to a Muslim country if they don't like it here, they have their culture and

Thailand has it's culture, if they don't agree with it, let them just go.

Possum, it may surprise you to know that many parts of Thailand were originally Muslim... hence the problems in the South where Siam annexed several Muslim kingdoms as part of a deal with Britain. Also, a number of high profile Thai families (including an important member of the Royal family) can trace their families back to Muslim nobles hundreds of years ago. My point is not about bacon but the fact that we all should be more considerate of the feelings of the major cultures living around us... whether Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Khmer, Lao, Rohingya, etc.

Fair point, but the fact is Muslims have no respect for any other faith, you do not get Buddhists who do not respect other Faiths.

If Muslims were like Buddhists, this topic would never have started.

"The fact is that muslims have no respect for any other faith". It is not a fact and your statement refects total ignorance.

Not totally based on ignorance. Often true but not a majority view.

They live in a predominant Buddhist country so they should learn to get along with the other people in the community who don't share the same views.

Same as people of other faiths should consider their concerns.Might does not make right.

It's more a matter of culture, and less a matter of "might". The simple use of a hyperbolic word - which inaccurately suggest the involvement of military force - doesn't equal a compelling argument. Thailand is a Buddhist country, not a Muslim one. It does permit the free practice of Islam (and other religions), but favors/espouses Buddhism. That is their right. It might not jibe with some western concepts of separation of church & state, absolute religious tolerance, etc., etc., but maybe in wanting to preserve their culture, including religious tradition, they're closer to having it right. Up to them.

Easy answer this is Thailand buddist faith they chose to come here so live under Thai laws and Thai decisions. Don't like that then move to a muslim country easy

More intelligent answer would be that they were born here and as Thai's have every right to protest.They had homes there 1st,probably a few generations at least.

Easy answer this is Thailand buddist faith they chose to come here so live under Thai laws and Thai decisions. Don't like that then move to a muslim country easy

More intelligent answer would be that they were born here and as Thai's have every right to protest.They had homes there 1st,probably a few generations at least.

No one's taking their homes away from them. They are however seeking to impose their religious restrictions on non-Muslims around them - as Muslims so often do - in this case someone who wants to use their land to build a factory that will process a completely legal and widely consumed product in Thailand.

The only part of their argument that has any merit is the possible contamination of ground water, and that only to the extent actual public health is involved. The would-be operators of this facility do have a responsibility to ensure that's monitored and appropriate environmental & public health standards are maintained. But the protests should be about that and not about the building of the factory about which they should have no say.

I this instance I agree if indeed it an area heavily populated by Muslims as the are just a small minority of Thailand's population there must be plenty other places where this factory could be built.

But then I recall something that happened here in Birmingham(UK) some 20 years ago, those who know Birmingham would have heard in Cheddar Road with scantily dressed ladies in virtually ever window.

But then the Muslims decided to "out them" even though the oldest profession was well established before the Muslims took over.

No one's taking their homes away from them. They are however seeking to impose their religious restrictions on non-Muslims around them - as Muslims so often do - in this case someone who wants to use their land to build a factory that will process a completely legal and widely consumed product in Thailand.

The only part of their argument that has any merit is the possible contamination of ground water, and that only to the extent actual public health is involved. The would-be operators of this facility do have a responsibility to ensure that's monitored and appropriate environmental & public health standards are maintained. But the protests should be about that and not about the building of the factory about which they should have no say.

The petition was handed in as part of a study designed to gauge local residents feelings about the granting of a licence for this factory. They were asked how they felt about so they said so.

Whether that has any bearing on the final decision....well that's another thread for the future.

One comment made to me, comes to mind .... If you don't like it here, you can <deleted> off and live somewhere else.
It seems appropriate in this case and I am sure that the Thai Buddhist community (being equally racist to all) have put forward this suggestion already.

One comment made to me, comes to mind .... If you don't like it here, you can f****k off and live somewhere else.

It seems appropriate in this case and I am sure that the Thai Buddhist community (being equally racist to all) have put forward this suggestion already.

If I were to defend Bluespunk as he says they are not immigrants. They are Thai Muslims. If you wished to say go back to where you came from they would still be in Thailand.

Edited by Jai Dee
corrected mis-spelt username

They are Thai.

Their faith has no relevance to their nationality.

This is their country, their community and they have the right to protest.

Their nationality has no relevance to their faith to be more precise. They are not Thais...they are Muslim Thais - big difference. Same as in any other country, unfortunately.

Islam is a faith as well as a political system - a complete way of life.

This where the problem is, and not likely that any non-Muslims (apart from the ultra orthodox in other religions) understand this. Not even the, for the most part, token Buddhists in Thailand.

The petition was handed in as part of a study designed to gauge local residents feelings about the granting of a licence for this factory. They were asked how they felt about so they said so.

Whether that has any bearing on the final decision....well that's another thread for the future.

The petitioners assert that there are 3 mosques in the area and claim that "99%" of the population "in the area" is Muslim. I'm dubious (not about the mosques; about the 99%). I'm sure that they could probably come up with a gerrymandered map showing something like that, but in a resort-oriented place like Cha-am, which is just up the road from Hua Hin, I just have to wonder. Neither here nor there though. Again, I don't think anyone should have a problem with their protesting, submitting a petition, whatever. I just think it's time Muslims learned to co-exist with non-Muslims instead of imposing their religious restrictions on them.

Pussyfooting around these people achieves nothing but surrender. Islam means surrender and they will just protest, mob and bomb there way into making the rest of the world regress a thousand years. They want to enforce sharia law on everyone. Death to anyone who resists. Simples. Oh yeah, except Allah seems to turn a blind eye when these god fearing holier than though types tread the whoring, drug infested streets of Bangkok and Pattaya.

Edited by watso63

give them a nice bacon butty to shut them up, i'm sick of hearing about muslimes every day.

If you are sick of reading about muslims why did you click on this thread when it is very clear its about muslims?

Quite a strange thing to do.

Oh, and you may need to learn to spell

Pussyfooting around these people achieves nothing but surrender. Islam means surrender and they will just protest, mob and bomb there way into making the rest of the world regress a thousand years. They want to enforce sharia law on everyone. Death to anyone who resists. Simples. Oh yeah, except Allah seems to blind eye when these god fearing holier than though types tread the whoring, drug infested streets of Bangkok and Pattaya.

So with malaysia and indonesia with all those muslims, why is it I can happily have beers and bacon sandwiches then toddle off to church if I wish.

If what you say is true then I wouldnt be able to do any of those things as I would be subject to sharia law. But I'm not.

Surely with your view all the Christian heathens that go out drinking would be getting flogged every day. I guess reality is something completely different to what you think.

Pussyfooting around these people achieves nothing but surrender. Islam means surrender and they will just protest, mob and bomb there way into making the rest of the world regress a thousand years. They want to enforce sharia law on everyone. Death to anyone who resists. Simples. Oh yeah, except Allah seems to blind eye when these god fearing holier than though types tread the whoring, drug infested streets of Bangkok and Pattaya.

So with malaysia and indonesia with all those muslims, why is it I can happily have beers and bacon sandwiches then toddle off to church if I wish.

If what you say is true then I wouldnt be able to do any of those things as I would be subject to sharia law. But I'm not.

Surely with your view all the Christian heathens that go out drinking would be getting flogged every day. I guess reality is something completely different to what you think.

Because they are not Muslim states. They are secular.

They are Thai.

Their faith has no relevance to their nationality.

This is their country, their community and they have the right to protest.

Their nationality has no relevance to their faith to be more precise. They are not Thais...they are Muslim Thais - big difference. Same as in any other country, unfortunately.

Islam is a faith as well as a political system - a complete way of life.

This where the problem is, and not likely that any non-Muslims (apart from the ultra orthodox in other religions) understand this. Not even the, for the most part, token Buddhists in Thailand.

They were asked for their opinion on this factory. They gave it. One of their concerns was faith based and they included it. They are not seeking to take over the country, they are just doing as asked and saying how they feel about changes in their community. As all Thais are entitled to do.

Another example of Muslim supremacy. "I believe it, therefore you are obligated to honor my beliefs even if it interferes with business". I am offended by women in Islamic headscarves but that does not give me the right to dictate what she wears.

Who is dictating anything?

You have a right to set up a petition against headscarves, and to protest them.

So, what's your problem here?

Don't wish to have an argument, your opinions. If you live in a Muslim country try and protest about anything and see what happens. Where is the mutual respect?
You do know these people are Thais and this is their country. The actually do have the right to some forms of protest.

Bluespunk, in many of your posts I see that silver lining to defend minorities, it suits you well. I respect many of your statements although my views are mostly different without being a hater. But how can you defend that these Muslims ( although being Thai) put loudspeakers every so many meters and annoy fellow Thais with their unbearable noice? At the same time demanding a ban on a bacon factory?

Because they are Thai. Or is it only Buddhist Thais can do what they want.

They where asked for their opinion on the factory. Donyou think they should have just said that although we are Thai we are not supposed to give our opinion when asked?

Because they are not Muslim states. They are secular.

What an odd thing to say.

They are muslim countries that decided to pass legislation to become secular states.

If what the poster stated was true they would never have allowed that.

So your post proves how wrong he is. ??

It does not matter whether they are Thai Muslims or not. This country is 95% Buddhist, and everyone living here should respect that.

Living in Thailand you should know Thai Muslims legally have equal right of peaceful protest.

You obviously did not read the article. The decision makers are proactively canvassing local opinion prior to making a final decision, why can't you respect the process?

Muslims have done nothing to earn my respect, either here or back in the UK.

Every fairminded person knows the truth about them.

Yes I can see they are Thai Muslims. What point are you making there?

When I say they should move on, what do you think that means in everyday language?

Why should they move on? It's their country.

What part of 95% Buddhist do you not understand?

It doesn't take the angry brigade long to start does it?

Are you aware of one of the fundamental duties of a muslim? I thought not.

Are you aware of the changes that muslims demand when they move into a country, society or district? I thought not. Please don't tell me I don't understand that we are talking about local muslims, I know that. I also know they are complaining about something that might happen in their community. I am also aware of their right to lobby against the factory. I am arguing about their reason for objecting to the factory.

It would help you and others to reflect on what I have said already and to read UN resolution 62/154. Once you have read that and thought about the duty etc of a muslim, you will understand my position.

By the way 95% is an underestimate of the proportion of Thai society that is Buddhist.