Early mornings at Chiang Mai Immigration?

NancyL

I suspect this post may be locked and merged into the pinned thread at the top of this forum, but it seems that ever since the topic of the new Immigration office at Promenada was pinned at the top, there hasn't been many new contributors.

What's happening -- especially early in the morning?

Is there toilet access? There are toilets, about 20 meters away from the Immigration office have outside access, but when I was there two weeks ago they had a sign that said they're opened at 9:30 am. Really? Can anyone verify that? What are people who arrive for morning queue at 5 - 6 am suppose to use for toilet facilities?

What about queue signage? Did they improve anything over the long holiday weekend or is it still a complete mystery which queue number is being served?

And let's not forget the old Immigration office out by the airport -- do people still have to arrive early to get queue numbers for marriage and business visa extensions?

A hot sub-topic -

location of toilets

cleanliness

Some possible add-ons -

Toilet paper provided - brand

Uni sex

Online queueing

Proximity to food outlets

Parking fee at toilets

Over-crowding

From what I am hearing from a multitude of sources including my son who was at immigration today is that the goat area reeks. It might be a good idea to just jump the fence and do it there. Unless, of course, you are a man and only need to do number 1, you can stand just outside and pee into the fenced area.

From what I am hearing from a multitude of sources including my son who was at immigration today is that the goat area reeks. It might be a good idea to just jump the fence and do it there. Unless, of course, you are a maDan and only need to do number 1, you can stand just outside and pee into the fenced area.

David, this is a very bad idea for us ladies, even those of us who wear skirts. When I was there a couple weeks ago and took the photos of the goat area that now grace the pinned thread about the Promenada Immigration office, one of the goats started to chew on the hem of my dress -- and I was standing outside the pen, just a little too close. There is no way I'm getting into that pen if there are goats in it.

That's the second dress I've ruined at Immigration. The first was waiting in the early morning queue at the old office, when the morning scrum began to push forward when the Immigration officers appeared at 8 am and the pushing and shoving started; my dress got caught on the corner of a car license plate.

Sounds like another reason for not living in Chiang Mai. Hua Hin immigration is much more civilised. And, of course, we "Southerners" don'tl get smoked like kippers during the stubble-burning season.

Seriously, though, has anyone actually tried complaining about the conditions at Chiang Mai Immigration, which sound pretty intolerable? Yes, I know - nobody wants to be the first to stick their head over the parapet. But suffering in silence is a recipe for things staying the same.

Letting off steam via the Thai Visa Forum may be therapeutic, but preaching only to the converted won't actually change anything. To make a difference we need to gain the ear of the Thai institutions which govern our lives.

Maybe the answer is to form our own Expats' Association able to represent our interests at both national and local level, possibly with the co-operation and support of Thai Visa?

If our input was kept positive and constructive, the results could be beneficial all round.

From what I am hearing from a multitude of sources including my son who was at immigration today is that the goat area reeks. It might be a good idea to just jump the fence and do it there. Unless, of course, you are a maDan and only need to do number 1, you can stand just outside and pee into the fenced area.

David, this is a very bad idea for us ladies, even those of us who wear skirts. When I was there a couple weeks ago and took the photos of the goat area that now grace the pinned thread about the Promenada Immigration office, one of the goats started to chew on the hem of my dress -- and I was standing outside the pen, just a little too close. There is no way I'm getting into that pen if there are goats in it.

That's the second dress I've ruined at Immigration. The first was waiting in the early morning queue at the old office, when the morning scrum began to push forward when the Immigration officers appeared at 8 am and the pushing and shoving started; my dress got caught on the corner of a car license plate

Nancy I hope you have more of those lovely colorful dresses they are your trademark. I must go for my annual in September and from what I read here I am not looking forward to it. Luckily I was finally able to get an online appointment after 5 tries. I too am surprised as to the scarcity of comments on TV. As all the decisions are made in Bangkok I guess some kind of committee to discuss the situation and how improvements could be made would be out of the question.

Would like to hear from the people that were so happy that part of Immigration were moving to Promenada - How do you like it now ... ? blink.png

Not a problem.Since they moved we have reverted to 90 days by mail which worked well enough on the first attempt, although rarely spent much time doing it in person in the past.

Have pm online appointments for two in September. Will have a lunch at Promenada beforehand, probably the food market. Hopefully ,with all docs in order,we will complete our applications for "retirement" within 30 minutes of appointment and then a bit of Rimping/ general shopping whilst waiting for our passports to be signed off by the big pen.

That's the plan anyway.

That's the second dress I've ruined at Immigration. The first was waiting in the early morning queue at the old office, when the morning scrum began to push forward when the Immigration officers appeared at 8 am and the pushing and shoving started; my dress got caught on the corner of a car license plate.

My wife does sewing and can repair your dress, depending on the amount of damage.

One of the questions answered.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's for toddlers. I've heard you can buy it in several countries.. Do they make an adult model ? ?

Back in the eighties in Bangkok traffic was so bad petrol stations also sold porta potties, every chance of getting caught short in the middle of moving a few hundred yards in a couple of hours.

So the opportunity to fill up twice arose.

From what I am hearing from a multitude of sources including my son who was at immigration today is that the goat area reeks. It might be a good idea to just jump the fence and do it there. Unless, of course, you are a man and only need to do number 1, you can stand just outside and pee into the fenced area.

OMG! There are real goats and piglets! I thought NancyL was just being clever satirizing the "waiting pen" conditions!!! I withdraw my nomination of NancyL for TV CM humorist of the year.

Rimping opens at 8:00am and the entrance into the mall from the north parking garage is unlocked... There are toilets located just outside the entrance to Rimping and are clearly marked, so anyone that needs to go, can... Not sure what the toilet facilities are like at the airport location for immigration as I have never had to use them, but the toilets at Prom are large and clean, as one would expect at a mall... Unless you're talking about KSK mall...

I had to do a 90-day report this week... After my report was not accepted online, I had to brave the zoo at Prom imiigration... I arrived at 8:05am and was the 37th person in line waiting for the doors to open at 8:30a... By the time the doors opened and they began giving out queue numbers, there were 70+ people waiting in line for service... By the time I got to the front of the line to receive a queue number, they were already turning people away wanting retirement extensions, saying that they were full for the day... I spoke with a few people while waiting for my turn... One fellow had been back 3 times trying to get his extension... I was number 7 in line for 90-day reporting and was finished and out the door at 9:10am...

Rimping opens at 8:00am and the entrance into the mall from the north parking garage is unlocked... There are toilets located just outside the entrance to Rimping and are clearly marked, so anyone that needs to go, can... Not sure what the toilet facilities are like at the airport location for immigration as I have never had to use them, but the toilets at Prom are large and clean, as one would expect at a mall... Unless you're talking about KSK mall...

I had to do a 90-day report this week... After my report was not accepted online, I had to brave the zoo at Prom imiigration... I arrived at 8:05am and was the 37th person in line waiting for the doors to open at 8:30a... By the time the doors opened and they began giving out queue numbers, there were 70+ people waiting in line for service... By the time I got to the front of the line to receive a queue number, they were already turning people away wanting retirement extensions, saying that they were full for the day... I spoke with a few people while waiting for my turn... One fellow had been back 3 times trying to get his extension... I was number 7 in line for 90-day reporting and was finished and out the door at 9:10am...

Thank you, Loptr, for your detailed report.

It is indeed sad news that retirees who arrive at opening time (8:30 am) will be told all the queue numbers for retirement extensions have been given out for the day and that 70 people were waiting in line at opening time -- during "low season".

And the on-line queue continues to be out-of-service.

And yes, the toilets in Rim Ping are available at 8 am, but it's the ones outside the building, near Immigration that are of interest. Despite all the potty humor jokes, there are people who really can't wait from 6 am - 8 am without having access to a toilet, especially if they've had to ride a distance to get to Immigration. Right now those toilet have a sign that says they're opened at 9:30 am. Is that true?

OMG! There are real goats and piglets! I thought NancyL was just being clever satirizing the "waiting pen" conditions!!! I withdraw my nomination of NancyL for TV CM humorist of the year.

Some stuff you just can't make up. The reality is far more bizarre than anything I could have made up.

Edited by NancyL

Loptr: "By the time the doors opened and they began giving out queue numbers, there were 70+ people waiting in line for service... By the time I got to the front of the line to receive a queue number, they were already turning people away wanting retirement extensions, saying that they were full for the day..."

And again we discuss in this thread the absurdity of the situation. People have complained for years about the poor service at CM Immigration (and ONLY CM!). Did we really think a new building would alleviate the situation?

Every now and then someone from another part of Thailand will chime in saying, "Just go there with all the forms filled out correctly and there will be no problem" and they are right, for THEIR part of Thailand.

Use a visa service or move; those are the only real options.

It makes me believe that these visa services are in league with immigration.The harder immigration make it for us to renew our visas the better it is for these visa service people.By making us go there at 5 am and wait outside for 3 hours and then there is no guarantee of getting a number that day can only be a good thing for visa service companies.I would love to know if back handers are involved. Just a thought.