Eat well in CM. Make it spicy, live longer!

chingmai331

A serious question to which a proper reply would be appreciated. smile.png

When I eat something very spicy - not by Thai standards though, I get the 'ring burn' next day.

Do you suppose that Asian people have a thicker mucous membrane in their digestive systems?

Possibly true, although I think it is a matter of acclimatization. When I first came here, I could only tolerate very small amounts of spice. Now I use quantities not far off the average Thai.

There are plenty of examples of genetic adaptation. The epicanthic fold in the eyelid in Asians was originally an adaptation to prevent snow blindness. Eskimos and Inuits consume quantities of meat and fat which would kill your average Caucasian. Presumably they have enlarged gall bladders.

I can eat spicy food without a care, although it does still go through me different even after 15 years. Tom Sep and other spicy and limey stuff sees me almost peeing out my ass the next day, but its fine while I'm eating it, and so tasty, its worth braving the ring of fire.

The worst is on the 2 occasions I have been back to the UK in this time, the extreme of going back to eating stodgy western food for a month leaves me at the other extreme, with an intimidating viscosity that clings to the pan for dear life.

I hope my candour has not spoiled anyones breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...