Mass media urged to use Thai correctly

webfact

Media urged to use Thai correctly

PNSOC580805001003602_05082015_123748.jpg

BANGKOK, 5 August 2015 (NNT) - A Thai language expert has urged mass media to use correct Thai grammar to set a good example for youths.

Former member of the Royal Society and Thai language expert Professor Kanchana Naksakul spoke at a Thai language seminar, criticizing modern media for incorrect usage in terms of both spelling and pronunciation.

He said younger people are easily susceptible to media influence. Another language expert, Mr. Danai Chanchaochai, said more people are using social media and many do not use correct Thai.

Mr. Danai said it is important for the media to be extra mindful when using Thai in their news stories. The seminar was organized by the Public Relations Department.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-05 footer_n.gif

And what is different here to every other country in the world where the media and in particular social media encourage the use of street talk (slang) and abbreviated language?

Oh forgot... the Thai language is so special that it needs to be nurtured in the form that it was 100 years ago.

Otherwise, how can the elite with their heads up their a___s understand what the masses are saying about them!

And what is different here to every other country in the world where the media and in particular social media encourage the use of street talk (slang) and abbreviated language?

Oh forgot... the Thai language is so special that it needs to be nurtured in the form that it was 100 years ago.

Otherwise, how can the elite with their heads up their a___s understand what the masses are saying about them!

Yes but here they are saying that the people in news can not speak or write Thai correctly. Given this is a common problem with which I have seen many times along the streets for businesses this article comes as no surprise. The simple fact that Thai children at matayom level still are unable to read or write Thai properly has a lot to do with it as well.

At least they didn't talk about the content, which surprised me. Same sort of problem in US media: use of "absolutely" for yes, problematic, and "we'll be back momentarily" . Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.