Help: I want to avoid Bangkok´s road accidents with the train and water transport systems

MovingToThai

Good point about keeping your head low regarding online work. It is a difficult area, potentially against the law, and thus not allowed for discussion on this forum. Especially when discussing ways to circumvent the law. As an FYI, keep it to yourself. You never know when you'll run into somebody who'll try to use this against you.

Love your point about the traffic. Hard to get hurt when the cars are only moving 20km/hr! LOL. Unless you are on a scooter....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might want to consider the roads in Bangkok before you decide to walk - even the poorest do not walk here - not only because of the sun and humidity but also due to obstructions/vehicles on the sidewalk (where there is a sidewalk) and need to keep watch of every step.

As for traffic accidents have not had more than a bump in 45 years of driving and using taxi here. Most serious accidents are not in cities but vans and bus routes between cities - and even then most people will never experience anything more than fear - and I had much more stressful trips in Athens than I have ever had here.

I hope you are aware of the legalities of working here as a foreigner.

I am not poor, have an expensive car and walk everywhere, as do many of my friends in order to stay fit and healthy. Besides we have nice hot weather with free sauna, what more do you want.

Actually my meaning was Thai rather than us crazy foreigners? Most Thai know enough to keep out of the sun and do not have the skin cancer issues we have.

I also have walked my way around in Bangkok - but would not recommend for the faint of heart as it requires attention to avoid walking into a phone in the middle of sidewalk, being run down by a motorcycle or cart, avoiding the sidewalk shops (often having to walk in street to do so), coughing from the hot pepper frying, being judged as a fool and from recent reports being stopped for search for drugs by those in uniform.

But yes - at times it can be nice to take a walk. But I would not consider it an alternative to normal, and very cheap, taxi service.

A friend of mine at work ended up in a wheel chair for a year after getting his legs broken by a motorcycle on the sidewalk, he was just walking, and just last week another friend of mine got hit by a motorcycle turning a corner when he was passing the road, he looked all four ways twice before crossing (as you always have to do in Thailand) but still got hit.

The vast majority of accidents in Thailand are with motorcycles. And the majority of these happen late at night with the driver drunk.

City buses are good and cheap, just avoid the rush hour or wait for one that is not jam packed (full here means that it is physically impossible for another passenger to get on).

Walking is fine most of the time on the major roads, just remember the footpaths are not in good shape. Again best avoid the rush hour with standing traffic contributing the the heat and pollution.

Water transport is OK if interesting, probably not what you would expect.... I used to use the klong taxis regularly in pre-BTS days when the traffic was worse.

Taxis I tend to avoid as at busy times their drivers like to shoot off on a "short cut" which is anything but a timesaver. Give them a clear road and they go crazy. But very cheap compared to Europe.

Motor cycle taxis I use every day but maybe not to everyone's taste.

I guess I'm perplexed why someone who can work "anywhere" would move to the most crowded, congested, polluted and expensive city in Thailand.

Why not live in a smaller city, that's less expensive, less crowded, less polluted?

Like Khon Kaen, example?

If you're coming to Thailand for the low cost of living and poontang, wouldn't KK exceed BKK?

Heck, Just rent a nice apartment on line for a year. Arrange for a van to pick you up in the middle of the night so less risk. Food by phone can deliver everything to your room.

You can even have all kinds of people visit as well. You never have to leave your room.

Sounds like a plan! biggrin.png

Buy a pushbike.....and a good sturdy helmet. You'll need some exercise! thumbsup.gif

I guess I'm perplexed why someone who can work "anywhere" would move to the most crowded, congested, polluted and expensive city in Thailand.

Why not live in a smaller city, that's less expensive, less crowded, less polluted?

Like Khon Kaen, example?

If you're coming to Thailand for the low cost of living and poontang, wouldn't KK exceed BKK?

The international community is greater at Bangkok. If you go to meetup.com, you´ll find several meetups each day in the capital, whereas on smaller cities is more like one per day (or one every 2 days), and sometimes those meetups are about something that does not interest me, for example, meditating. Nevertheless, now that I understand better the nature of the road accidents, I am reconsidering Chiang Mai for the first 3 months. It seems to be the second city where most expats concentrate. Also, the cost of living is even cheaper there, so I can save some bucks.

A work colleague I know was in hospital in Bangkok with a broken leg after walking on the footpath outside his office to go for lunch and falling down an open drain cover. I have read about people falling off the BTS platform onto train tracks, or people falling off the river taxis into the water. Assuming the o/p isn't trolling I suggest therapy to get over the phobias as there are hazards to avoid each day when you get out of bed in Thailand as would be the case in most places on the planet.

Good point about keeping your head low regarding online work. It is a difficult area, potentially against the law, and thus not allowed for discussion on this forum. Especially when discussing ways to circumvent the law. As an FYI, keep it to yourself. You never know when you'll run into somebody who'll try to use this against you.

Love your point about the traffic. Hard to get hurt when the cars are only moving 20km/hr! LOL. Unless you are on a scooter....

Seems like the online working issue is more serious than I thought. I´ll keep a low profile on this subject and research more about it. I must say though, laws like this only result in making tourist´s visits unnecessarily harder.

So I´m planning to move to Thailand for 1 year, and everything was perfect for me until I read that Thailand is second in the world in road accidents (80 deaths per day). Further research confirmed to me that roads are very dangerous and now I don´t even want to take a taxi there. Actually, I was planning to move to Chiang Mai for the first 3 months, but then I learned that there is no subway there, so that city is off my list now. My question is: can I go to most places in Bangkok just with the MRT, Skytrain and water transport system (this last one sounds curious for me but for what I have read it´s really efficient at Bangkok)? I don´t care if I have to walk up to 20 minutes from any train or "water" station to my destination, though I´d rather not having to walk 20 minutes every time. I live in Barcelona and I dont´t have a car, because here the subway is so connected, I can go anywhere in the city just with it, and if I need to go to a town outside of the city, there is another train called "Cercanías", which takes me there, so I never have to take a taxi. Is it the same at Bangkok? Thanks.

Hi I have been driven for meany years in Australia and now I drive around thailand and I find it ok as long as you adapt to the thai roads and the Thais drives you are ok

A work colleague I know was in hospital in Bangkok with a broken leg after walking on the footpath outside his office to go for lunch and falling down an open drain cover. I have read about people falling off the BTS platform onto train tracks, or people falling off the river taxis into the water. Assuming the o/p isn't trolling I suggest therapy to get over the phobias as there are hazards to avoid each day when you get out of bed in Thailand as would be the case in most places on the planet.

The events you just mentioned are not the case in most places on the planet (again, Thailand has the second most dangerous roads in the world). Another poster before you talked about a friend of his who was in a wheelchair one year after been run over by a motorcycle, just for walking by the street, and a quick search on the internet will reveal a lot of similar cases. In Spain, these things simply don´t happen. When I walk down the street, I am not alert to motorcycles potentially hitting me, nor holes where I can fall on, and fortunately zebra paths are respected by cars. So what you call a phobia, is only a normal attitude by a human being that appreciates his life and wants to learn the new, necessary cautions he will have to follow on his everyday transportation in order to reduce accidents risks. Funny that you mention you have experienced those risks and then imply that I am exaggerating and need therapy.

People seem to have different experiences here.

I walk a lot in central BKK. I don't really see any problem with getting around by walking.

(you'll soon get used to the motorbikes on the sidewalks)

Skytrain and underground is pretty good, don't cover the whole city, but combined with 10-20 min walking will cover a good patch.

(You must keep in mind that BKK is much much larger than Barcelona, much! larger.)

Its not much regular water transport in BKK. The Chao Praya Express is OK, but it only connects well with skytrain at one stop.

But using the Express from/to that stop (Sathorn) is OK. Can be used to access a number of touristy places not accessible by sky train.

The other larger regular water transport is the boats on the Klong Saen Saeb, (canal). Goes quite a distance Eastwards then Northwards,

but connects with skytrain/underground only a few places.

Certain parts of the city and its suburbs can also be accessed by using the regular train service.

Be careful of what you read on the internet. Bangkok is a great city, with accident rates about the same as any other major city around the world. With the exception of scooters...they are the #1 problem here. Most are hurt/killed on these things. Drivers here aren't as careful as they are in some countries and a majority of the time alcohol is involved. Avoid scooters and you've avoided some 75% of the problem.

The other biggie, as was pointed out above, is intercity vans/buses. Especially overnight ones. Avoid those and you'll have pretty close to the same safety rate as you'll have almost anywhere else.

Bangkok has a fair mass transit system. But it doesn't cover everywhere. Stick to places near the MRT/SkyTrain and you'll be fine. Travel away from areas covered by them can be difficult. Taxis are very cheap, but many times won't go to certain areas because of the traffic. Water transport is a tough way to go. Not for the faint of heart.

I use to walk everywhere in Bangkok. April to June is tough though. As is walking around in the mid-day sun. After sunset, it's wonderful almost any time of the year.

I also wouldn't rule out Chiang Mai. It has a wonderful and very vibrant expat community. Traffic is tough, but no different than Bangkok. The burning season is tough, but other than that, it's a great place to live.

Just to be sure, when you say "intercity vans/buses", you mean vans and buses that transport people inside the city (like taxis) or from one village / city to another?

The Chiang Mai option is actually attracting me more again. I would go there the first 3 months and after that move to Bangkok.

If you walk a lot you will encounter everything from very poorly maintained sidewalks to motor bikes riding on the sidewalks. When a vehicle has parked on the sidewalk and you have to walk around on the road you must look out for the motor bikes that ride in any space not taken up by a car, truck, van or bus and that means between lanes and next to the curb where you may be trying to walk.

The BTS and MRT do not go everywhere and taking to the water is not a viable option as the routes and available destinations are quite limited. This means you will eventually find the need to take to the streets. The most common modes of transportation (often to get to the BTS/MRT) are bus, song taew and taxi. Within Bangkok and the surrounding areas the traffic is so congested that is doubtful you will see any accident more serious than a fender bender. I am sure that the majority of the persons killed each year are riders or passengers of motor bikes (mopeds) because of their incessant compulsion to drive as if they are invulnerable or will live forever.

Thanks, this was a very comprehensible explanation. Out of the three, which would you say is safer? Bus, song thaew or taxi? (I´ve googled song thaew and would only take the "hino songthaew"/truck bus as shown here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songthaew).

taxi, 18 years in bangkok and i have never been in an accident in a taxi.

knock wood ...

I would offer that if you're that worried perhaps this part of the world isn't for you. I've lived in Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines and Cambodia and having eyes in the back of your head is a prerequisite to staying accident free.

Actually my meaning was Thai rather than us crazy foreigners? Most Thai know enough to keep out of the sun and do not have the skin cancer issues we have.

I also have walked my way around in Bangkok - but would not recommend for the faint of heart as it requires attention to avoid walking into a phone in the middle of sidewalk, being run down by a motorcycle or cart, avoiding the sidewalk shops (often having to walk in street to do so), coughing from the hot pepper frying, being judged as a fool and from recent reports being stopped for search for drugs by those in uniform.

But yes - at times it can be nice to take a walk. But I would not consider it an alternative to normal, and very cheap, taxi service.

"...and from recent reports being stopped for search for drugs by those in uniform."

Why the scaremongering with allegations about something that has not been reported for many months. The lid was firmly put on this Thonglor police exercise a long time ago. Unless you can point to a "recent report" of an unjustified search, of course.

I would offer that if you're that worried perhaps this part of the world isn't for you. I've lived in Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines and Cambodia and having eyes in the back of your head is a prerequisite to staying accident free.

I´m not paranoid about the subject, just trying to figure out the necessary precautions I should follow. Actually, I´d like to know from your experience what are those things one must always be alert to in order to stay accident free (I assume you mean when walking).

Well, I´m more scared now! There´s no way to decrease your accident odds sad.png

Well, the best way to increase your odd is to change your name and the plan and scratch out MovingToThai and stay wherever you already is safe enough for you (based on what you read online).

Well, I´m more scared now! There´s no way to decrease your accident odds sad.png

Well, the best way to increase your odd is to change your name and the plan and scratch out MovingToThai and stay wherever you already is safe enough for you (based on what you read online).

I still want to move to Thailand, just trying to figure out the safest transport system (after this thread, it seems like taxi is the way to go).

There is no multi entry tourist visa - only specific number of entries. You require a work permit to work in Thailand regardless of where paid or how you work (although some do work illegally as is the case everywhere it will not be legal without a work permit which would require you work for a Thai company of some type and meet specific monthly income requirements.

This is the visa I meant: http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/1-Year-Thailand-Visa.php

If that´s the case regarding work, then there would simply be no way I could go to Thailand and maintain my income flowing in Spain. If I applied for a working visa, that would require for me to look for a job at a Thai company, hence having to abandon my current job, which by the way consists of freelance translations and blogging. Of course I am not going to ruin the assets that have taken me so many time to build, so the only option is getting the aforementioned visa. I don´t see how could this be wrong, but even if the strictest interpretation of the law said this, the only way they could "find out" is if they had access to my Spanish bank account and saw the payments, accessed my tax reports (also here in Spain) or if they made a "raid" at my apartment and inspected what I am doing with my computer. Also, in the application for the multiple-entry visa, they don´t even ask specifically for working situation, only "proof of financial funds and travel itinerary", so a copy of my bank funds would be enough, without even having to explain where they come from (wow, I sound like a fugitive).

So basically I´d just be a tourist with a computer, who has enough savings to support himself in low-cost Thailand. And by the way, Bangkok is known as the capital of the world for online and affiliate marketers, with many of them writing about their Thai experiences on forums and blogs (that´s how I got the idea in the first place). If anyone had a legal problem, they would´ve already written about it.

Firstly, I'm almost 100% sure that even "online work" is classed as work here. So if they caught you, you would be screwed.

Secondly do tell where and how you are going to get this 1 year multiple entry visa? I'm sure a lot of our friends on this forum still doing visa runs etc would be very interested.

Some guys would even be able to get divorced to woman that they married for that specific reason.

Don't listen to the old and lazy here, walking is ok but you will sweat like a pig.

Forget BKK, move to Pattaya where it's a lot better to walk.

Better to walk in Pattaya?????????? Soi Buckaow and surrounding Sois better to walk????????

I can't think of anywhere in Pattaya where it is safe to walk, even along the footpath at the Beach side of Beach road

you are liable to be hit by a motorbike that is avoiding the Beach Road one way system.

I think you're on the right track regarding checking out CM. Both cities are fantastic. If you can, I'd even head down to Phuket. You can work anywhere, so why not checkout some great beaches also? Phuket has some lovely ones.

I was in CM recently and was impressed by the number of young foreigners there. The surrounding area is absolutely fantastic to check out also. You'll be busy!

Seems like the online working issue is more serious than I thought. I´ll keep a low profile on this subject and research more about it. I must say though, laws like this only result in making tourist´s visits unnecessarily harder.

If it is possible to make anything easier, Thai Immigration is not interested.

There is no multi entry tourist visa - only specific number of entries. You require a work permit to work in Thailand regardless of where paid or how you work (although some do work illegally as is the case everywhere it will not be legal without a work permit which would require you work for a Thai company of some type and meet specific monthly income requirements.

This is the visa I meant: http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/1-Year-Thailand-Visa.php

If that´s the case regarding work, then there would simply be no way I could go to Thailand and maintain my income flowing in Spain. If I applied for a working visa, that would require for me to look for a job at a Thai company, hence having to abandon my current job, which by the way consists of freelance translations and blogging. Of course I am not going to ruin the assets that have taken me so many time to build, so the only option is getting the aforementioned visa. I don´t see how could this be wrong, but even if the strictest interpretation of the law said this, the only way they could "find out" is if they had access to my Spanish bank account and saw the payments, accessed my tax reports (also here in Spain) or if they made a "raid" at my apartment and inspected what I am doing with my computer. Also, in the application for the multiple-entry visa, they don´t even ask specifically for working situation, only "proof of financial funds and travel itinerary", so a copy of my bank funds would be enough, without even having to explain where they come from (wow, I sound like a fugitive).

So basically I´d just be a tourist with a computer, who has enough savings to support himself in low-cost Thailand. And by the way, Bangkok is known as the capital of the world for online and affiliate marketers, with many of them writing about their Thai experiences on forums and blogs (that´s how I got the idea in the first place). If anyone had a legal problem, they would´ve already written about it.

Firstly, I'm almost 100% sure that even "online work" is classed as work here. So if they caught you, you would be screwed.

Secondly do tell where and how you are going to get this 1 year multiple entry visa? I'm sure a lot of our friends on this forum still doing visa runs etc would be very interested.

Some guys would even be able to get divorced to woman that they married for that specific reason.

I mean multiple entries with one or two day visa runs (I think it is up to 3, so not really a year but 9 months).

Out of curiosity, what would happen to me if they caught me "working online"? Get deported?

I still want to move to Thailand, just trying to figure out the safest transport system (after this thread, it seems like taxi is the way to go).

Taking a taxi is OK if you have a Thai person with you, a high percentage of them are just scammers, as are motorbike taxis and Tuk Tuks.

I have caught them out so many times.

Taking a taxi is OK if you have a Thai person with you, a high percentage of them are just scammers, as are motorbike taxis and Tuk Tuks.

I have caught them out so many times.

Yep, I´ve read about the outrageous prices for tourists.