Thailand plans to grant multiple-entry visas to tourists from all nations

webfact

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what the news article said in the OP:

Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said yesterday that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has given the green light to the proposal, which is expected to go into effect within 60 days after receiving Cabinet approval.

1. The newspaper said that...

2. the Tourism Minister said that...

3. the Prime Minister said...

4. bring your proposal to the Cabinet for discussion...

That was about ten days ago. Where is the proposal at this moment?

I seriously doubt a 6 month multi entry tourist visa is going to help. Most genuine tourists have a set time here & certainly do not plan to go in & out of the country over a period of 6 months. There is so much they could do with changing visa rules, especially long term ones for people who live here, support families & spend money all year round. Money which feeds into the grass roots economy, unlike all the Chinese tourists who's money only benefits a select few.

Long term expats are a drop in the ocean, both in numbers and economically, so I would not expect anything this government to do would benefit us. This is all about increasing tourist dollars, regardless of who benefits from those dollars.

Long term expats are what keeps this place ticking over for many parts of the year, they also have a lot of friends who visit here on a regular basis for holidays so don't be so quick to write them off

really??? You know that Thailand exports allot of products. which is much more than what tourism even brings in. I would say just in auto exports that is much more than what long term expats spend in Thailand.

Anyway most long term expats have the correct visas, a small majority of expats fall into the category of not qualifying for a visa (under 50, not married, not working and no child to support).

the rest are working illegally. Which is what immigration has been trying to stop all this time.

. Funny you should mention the auto industry. Without expats, not one car would have ever been manufactured in thailand. Can you name one thai car brand?

And where will these visas be issued exactly?

That's really the question.

Planning to come in thailand in annual work leave in two months.

I have the really limited choice right now between :

- the too short 2 months visa, that may be renewable depending on the mood of the immigration

- the PE visa which is expensive, especially when i think that i'm only sure to be away from Europe for 12 months.

This 6 months visa would be a good compromise, allowing me enough time to decide if i settle in Thailand and switch then to PE or non immigrant Visa depending on the opportunities.

Well, I guess i wait for news till middle of september to choose.

Edited by prb

sounds reasonably useless messy idea to me from article details, for most people getting a double or triple tourist in advance or once here from nearby consulate is fine & cheaper & cover same time in Thailand.

Would be far better reducing age of retirement visa & introducing a visa class for those with condos here who may want spend time & money in the country. online visa system like cambodia would be a real idea too .

It would be much easier to eliminate age requirements altogether and make it a stay visa. If people can prove they have money to cover their costs why should Thailand be concerned how long they stay? It should also require a criminal background check and a certain amount of money in the bank. The money shown in the bank should be proved to be a recurring sum. Not sure if I worded that right but what I mean is it shouldn't be a one time lump that people keep in the bank but proved annually. This would eliminate illegal workers.

Good. And all the expats who think they are more special than a backpacker, gimme a break. I see no bitter and frustrated backpackers bashing Thailand on tvf. I know plenty of backpackers who know more about se Asia than guys living in pattaya for 15 years. Many backpackers start in bkk but visit rest of area, not seldom coming back to bkk at some point. A backpacker is not perse an ignorant 20 yo drinking buckets on phi phi. So, again, good!

As someone under 50 who could have retired in Thailand, and had no desire to work there, only spending $ brought in from my country- I eventually left due in large part to the hassles with visas.

Retirement is a state of life, not solely determined by reaching a certain age. Though the two are often correlated they are not always proportionally related.

I miss some things about Thailand, and the proposed changes to the visa program (if they carry through) do make me more likely to come back for a visit.

Agreed in full. Not related to age nor to a fortune in the bank. Being kidless, mortgageless, carless, debtless, etc has allowed me to live quasi-retired since the age of 36... The tv bitter ones dislike me for it <3 <3 <3

Long term expats are a drop in the ocean, both in numbers and economically, so I would not expect anything this government to do would benefit us. This is all about increasing tourist dollars, regardless of who benefits from those dollars.

Really?

I spent 15 million baht in this country over the last 15 years, how many tourists does it take to spend that amount of money?

Really?

I spent 15 million baht in this country over the last 15 years, how many tourists does it take to spend that amount of money?

Er, if u included the rich Arabians and Indians who spend a million thb on a city trip of 3 days in Bkk? It will take 15 of them...

Really?

That's about $28,500 per year, or $78 per day, otherwise known to some of us as "chump change". I can't even find a nice hotel to stay in in BKK that after taxes is less than that. So yea, tourists do bring in significant amounts of money compared to what you spend to live in LoS Edited by srchino

Really?

That's about $28,500 per year, or $78 per day, otherwise known to some of us as "chump change". I can't even find a nice hotel to stay in in BKK that after taxes is less than that. So yea, tourists do bring in significant amounts of money compared to what you spend to live in LoS
Quick google search shows 2013 average tourist spending to be 4600B/day and 9,6 average days stay, round this up to 5k B/d en 10 days stay, gives average spending 50kB trip, thus my spending = 20 tourist and 200 days tourist. Guess there are 100k farangs "long stay" thus value 2 million tourists.

• 2 weeks later...

A step in the right direction!

Suggestion: How about .. just for a change .. some POSITIVE FEEDBACK for them to read?

I too have noticed that about too many in this forum, won't present a viable solution but quick to complain.

I have read or skimmed through now, almost 12 pages of carping, suppositions, opinions and quasi-mathematical formulae.

What I haven't seen, yet, is whether this visa is available.

Anyone know? I recently checked the KL embassy website, and true to form, it is as uninformative as it has been for the last twelve years I have been around.

I am married to a Thai national. I don't have enough in the bank for a spousal visa, because I send a majority of my salary home to support my wife, two kids in private school, mortgage, etc. I am a working stiff.

I work in Malaysia. My current contract ends in 21 days. If I have a new one here...it won't start until January. If my "other" job becomes a reality, it won't start until February.

I have popped into the Land of Smiles on several weekends and when Malaysian schools have been on holidays.

When I cross a border...it doesn't seem to matter that I am carrying a Malaysian government ID, a resident card from Malaysia...they want to count my entries, or they want to count my "days in country" because they think expats that come and go alot, MUST be working in Thailand. I wouldn't work in Thailand now for a plugged nickel, wages are still way too low.

Last year I was actually declined entry because I had exceeded the "4-entry rule" which was for back to back runners. It was my wedding anniversary...but the troglydites at Pedang Besar immigration didn't care.

None of my entries were 'back to back', most of them were for weekends...2 days a time...but the zombies in Pedang Besar could only count to 4, without knowing more.

So...a 6 month, multi-entry visa, even if 5,000 baht, would be a boon to someone like me. A double entry won't cut it.

So...does anyone know if this visa is official yet? Ubon Joe...you seem to be the guru...so what can you tell us?

Carping doesn't do anything but fill web pages...and by and large isn't helpful.

Edited by MisterStretch

I have read or skimmed through now, almost 12 pages of carping, suppositions, opinions and quasi-mathematical formulae.

What I haven't seen, yet, is whether this visa is available.

Anyone know? I recently checked the KL embassy website, and true to form, it is as uninformative as it has been for the last twelve years I have been around.

I am married to a Thai national. I don't have enough in the bank for a spousal visa, because I send a majority of my salary home to support my wife, two kids in private school, mortgage, etc. I am a working stiff.

I work in Malaysia. My current contract ends in 21 days. If I have a new one here...it won't start until January. If my "other" job becomes a reality, it won't start until February.

I have popped into the Land of Smiles on several weekends and when Malaysian schools have been on holidays.

When I cross a border...it doesn't seem to matter that I am carrying a Malaysian government ID, a resident card from Malaysia...they want to count my entries, or they want to count my "days in country" because they think expats that come and go alot, MUST be working in Thailand. I wouldn't work in Thailand now for a plugged nickel, wages are still way too low.

Last year I was actually declined entry because I had exceeded the "4-entry rule" which was for back to back runners. It was my wedding anniversary...but the troglydites at Pedang Besar immigration didn't care.

None of my entries were 'back to back', most of them were for weekends...2 days a time...but the zombies in Pedang Besar could only count to 4, without knowing more.

So...a 6 month, multi-entry visa, even if 5,000 baht, would be a boon to someone like me. A double entry won't cut it.

So...does anyone know if this visa is official yet? Ubon Joe...you seem to be the guru...so what can you tell us?

Carping doesn't do anything but fill web pages...and by and large isn't helpful.

I agree with you Mister Stretch.

Is it official now?

Probably still waiting for cabinet approval & who knows how long that will take.

• 3 weeks later...

Been thinking about this... 6 months multi entry at 5000 baht as opposed to......... a double entry tourist visa that cost about 2500 baht with the extension at immigration x2 2000 = 6500.

I take it with the new visa same any other multi after 3 months you will have to do your bounce still, so only different will be saving two trips to immigration to extending saved if you had a tourist visa and about 1500baht.......

So to me its just some repackaging of something already on offer, unless I'm missing something.... i might have

so not getting to excited about this till more details come out.

You do seem to be missing something.

You can't keep getting back to back double entry tourist visas. They red stamp you, or you need to leave for 3 months, or they just decide to give you one entry.

Therefore this is an important visa that enables me to stay in country with much less risk over a long period.

Edited by fey

As someone under 50 who could have retired in Thailand, and had no desire to work there, only spending $ brought in from my country- I eventually left due in large part to the hassles with visas.

Retirement is a state of life, not solely determined by reaching a certain age. Though the two are often correlated they are not always proportionally related.

I miss some things about Thailand, and the proposed changes to the visa program (if they carry through) do make me more likely to come back for a visit.

Agreed in full. Not related to age nor to a fortune in the bank. Being kidless, mortgageless, carless, debtless, etc has allowed me to live quasi-retired since the age of 36... The tv bitter ones dislike me for it <3 <3 <3

Well, the under 50 fellow could have bought the Elite Visa which from all accounts I have read pretty much eliminate visa hassles for 5 or 6 years. That 90 day reporting is still a pain, and should be changed to maybe one year which would make so much sense since most people have to get one year extensions constantly renewed.

• 3 weeks later...

It starts next month. 6 Month Multiple Entry Visa. Every 60 Days the applicant have to leave the country. If he do a border-run before the end of 6 Months, he can stay 8 months. It's now not clear if there will be also to buy extensions.

There have been no further news on this plan of a new visa. It remains uncertain whether and when the proposal will be submitted to the Cabinet.

Was today in the Thai Embassy (Germany).
Here the essence of the official Embassy bulletin:

Submitted (in principle, for all visa categories "TR" "O" "B")
 visa application filled in and signed (the exact address of min. one accommodation must be included / accurate indication of house number, street, postcode and place)
 original passport (validity: 6 months on the date of each entry)
 copy of the first page of the passport
 1 passport photo
 copy of the travel confirmation: round-trip ticket or onward flight (bus or train tickets)
 Visa fee in cash
 for children aged up to 15 years also need a copy of your birth certificate and a copy of the passports of the parents shall be settled, the application signed by both parents
 In foreign passports in addition: copy of the registration certificate or copy of the permit required in addition documents.

TR-Multiple (from 13.Nov.15)

 proof of at least an interim or off.. Re-entry (airport, bus or train ticket, hotel reservation in the neighboring country or visa for the neighboring country)
 hotel booking at least one location in Thailand
 Proof of assets:. Bank statement with a minimum of 5,000 euros
In addition, for non immigrant visas must be submitted
Category "O"
 pensioner (minimum 50 years) - copy pension document at least 1,200 euros / if this amount is not met on a monthly basis, additional assets evidence of at least 4.000, -. Euro (bank statements for the last 3 months)
 Former Thai nationals or Thai citizen children - copy of birth certificate
 persons who are married to a Thai citizen - copy of passport of spouse - copy of marriage certificate (translated into English or German) or extract from marriage register.
Category "B"
 invitation letter Thai company under details of the period of activity, commercial register
 costs over declaration of the German company with details of length of stay.

Category Approved visa validity from show day *

Tourist (TR) max. every 60 days

- 1 entry 30, - € 3 months

- 2 entries (only until 12 Nov 2015) 60 - € 6 months

- 3 entries (only until 12 Nov. 2015) 90 , - € 6 months

- multiple entry (as of 13 Nov 2015) 150, - € 6 months

non-immigrant ("O" and "B") max. each 90 days

- 1 entry 60, - € 3 months

- multiple entry 150, - € 1 year

Hope that helps.
Edited by tomacht8

So a year after forcing thousands of expats out of Thailand - expats who did border runs but who still no doubt spent lots of money in Thailand, they come back with this.

How have 'thousands' of tourists been forced out of Thailand?

It isn't difficult to get a double entry tourist visa and stay here for 3 months then leave and come back for another 3 months; once you've done that it is easy to simple repeat the process.

I don't see what the issue is with people not being able to get proper visas etc