Tiger Balm ?

Jessi

I have had shoulder rebuilds and many other injuries. Having used all the prescribed painkillers and have tried Glucosomine/Chondrioton, Nurofen,Naprosyn Voltaren etc for sore joints and arthritis pain

12 months ago my thai wife told me to try Derris Scanden extract. I was dubious at first but have found it really works better than anything else that I have tried. Available at pharmacies in thailand. As it is a natural herbal product it does not upset the stomach like some drugs and has no side effects that I have found

post-243556-0-53089400-1438867484_thumb.

Not sure about using with blood thinners

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have spondylosis and a mild scoriosis and chronic lower back pain. My solutions include aerobic weight exercises and heat and magnesium. It seems that the harder and faster that I exercise, the better that I feel and the less pain that I have. When I do have pain, I use intense heat to relax the muscles. By the way, I am 72 years old. I have had pain in my back since I was a young man.

I am not trying to "pull rank"onyou but I am 79 and did have chronic lower back problems in my 40's.I have tried all the muscle relaxants special "corsets" and acupuncture they all gave a certain amount of relief for short periods.Afriend talked me into light exercise and after a couple of weeks I was feeling good and in a shotr while I was lifting things around the house,nothing too heavy,but it was being able to do things that before I had been too nervous and got my wife to move things for me.I am still exercising now and have very little trouble doing daily chores.The Amphur installed an "exercise yard" in our village and that is excellent.If I do not exercise at home for a while I get the twinges again so off to the EY and I am on top of it again. I think exercise is for everybody.Try it and I am sure you will feel good,any time of dayrolleyes.gif

Normally a 24 crate of Singha sorts my aches and pains out.

Also manages to put the wife on mute too.

My wife is allergic to chili which causes tongue, lips etc., to blister.

Keeps her mum for 48 hrs. While she persists in partaking of spicy foods I have a relaxing time with my drinking 4 legged partner who prefers Chang Classic, not too cold. Watching him slurp he gets rid of all my aches and pains just relaxing watching him prepare for the next morning's hangovercoffee1.gif

I have found ibuprofen gives relief to my back pain (after spinal operation) and sciatica. It does not act as a blood thinner so will not affect you in that manner. It also has minimal effect on the liver.

I think you will find that ibuprofen contains aspirin that acts as a blood thinner
It does not contain aspirin

But like all drugs of its class it does have an effect on coagulation and is contraindicated in people on warfarin.

In my experience what works best for the general aches of being older are:

Regular massage ...say once a week. Needs some trial and error to find someone with the right touch.

stretches of the affected muscles and joints (again, some initial trial and error to find the best ones) -- be guided by how each stretch feels and don't do anything that really hurts. You want to feel the mild didcomfort of stretching out just a little more than comes easily, but not actual pain.

Exercise -- likewise trial and error, and keep it to a reasonable pace, don't overdo.Avoid high impact exercises and don't continue any exercise past the point of pain or breathlessness. Regular exercise can do wonders but the wrong type can make matters worse/cause injury in older people.

Heating pad or hot bath if spasms of back muscles involved

I have had shoulder rebuilds and many other injuries. Having used all the prescribed painkillers and have tried Glucosomine/Chondrioton, Nurofen,Naprosyn Voltaren etc for sore joints and arthritis pain

12 months ago my thai wife told me to try Derris Scanden extract. I was dubious at first but have found it really works better than anything else that I have tried. Available at pharmacies in thailand. As it is a natural herbal product it does not upset the stomach like some drugs and has no side effects that I have found

attachicon.gif$(KGrHqZ,!rIFI4bf3HFvBSQr61wuPw--60_35.JPG

looks interesting. will give it a try when back in Thailand. Thanks

Many posters corroborate my experience - exercise is the best medicine. Limiting the weight and increasing the repetitions seems much better than increasing weight. For times when I can't exercise, I use Voltaren tablets and gel but not for longer than a day or two. I also Lyprinol which is a concentrated oil derived from New Zealand Green-lipped Mussels. It's not cheap, being around 75 cents for a 50 mg capsule. I oreder it from a pharmacy in Australia and it's the most effective anti-inflammatory I've ever found. Some pharmacies in Thailand sell lifetune Green-lipped Mussel plus Fish oil - 45 capsules for about 900-1000 Baht. It's not as effective as the concentrated Lyprinol, but it is available from the Lifetune Care Center in Thailand. You can Google for their site or PM me and I'll send you their phone number. I have a crushed right shoulder which quickly becomes painful when I carry things or do weight-resistance training but Lyprinol keeps any resulting pain to a minimum. As a result of exercise and Lyprinol, I am usually free of pain!

I have found ibuprofen gives relief to my back pain (after spinal operation) and sciatica. It does not act as a blood thinner so will not affect you in that manner. It also has minimal effect on the liver.

Many physicians are well aware of the dangers of ibuprofen. In 1999, the New England Journal of Medicine reported that gastrointestinal deaths from NSAIDs, by a conservative estimate, account for more than 16,000 deaths a year, making this the 15th leading cause of death in the United States.

Try Peppermint Oil instead [therapeutic grade].

Try taking magnesium tablets....they work for many people. A deficiency promotes inflammation, and many people have a deficiency. Just Google it and you'll see how popular it is now.

Best to get tablets which have magnesium in a few different forms.

I took Magnesium tablets for a year, did no good at all.

I think some things work well for some people but not all.

I've tried them all. For me, the best one is called "Painelief cool gel".

It contains diclofenic anti-inflammatory, but the information sheet says it does not interact with other meds.

Available everywhere.

I will try this and see how it goes.

Thank you.

I've found Tiger Balm good for mosquito bites...that's about it. I found Gabapentin to be the only thing that works on chronic pain. Alcohol and drugs mask the pain and not the answer.

http://www.kamalala.com/gaba-is-the-drug-for-chronic-pain/

The Dr here in Thailand gave me Gabapentin caps. I dont do anything for me but a friend of mine gets great relief from taking them

Helps some but not all.

Thanks

The best I have ever found and used is "COOL" in a tube from the pharmacy, think you can get it in the super markets and 7/11.

I will also try this.

Thank you...wai.gif

Tony125:

Where in Thailand do you get Glucosomine/Chondrioton? I have used Osteo Bi-Flex for years, and you are correct; very helpful for knee and joint pain. Unfortunately, does nothing for my back pain caused by damaged vertebrae. But I have had a very hard time finding an equivalent in Thailand. The drug stores carry glucosomine powder, but not the combination. I have been ordering it on Ebay at very high costs. If you can direct me to a local source, I would be very grateful.

I order Osteo Bi-flex from Drugstore.com on-line and have it sent to our mailforwarding service in the U.S, along with some other products. I do this 3-4 times a year and order other stuff, like underwear, socks, etc that is difficult to find here in our sizes. The mailforwarding service consolidates and repacks everything and ships it all via U.S. Postal Service. That's the important part -- U.S. Postal Service, not DHL/UPS/FedEx. Comes thru just fine. Never had a problem in getting Drugstore.com stuff in via U.S.P.S. and rarely pay duty.

You're right, the locally available glucosamine powder and even what was suppose to be made-in-the U.S. combo capsules just weren't the same as Osteo Bi-flex. I've run out of the stuff from Drugstore.com a few times for 2-4 weeks and tried to get by with the local products and I really start to feel it after a while. One time, I found myself taking tuk-tuks to go just 200 meters to the store because my ankle was bothering me so bad.

Thank you for your reply Nancy but I dont want to start importing meds into Thailand.wai.gif

attachicon.gif$(KGrHqZ,!rIFI4bf3HFvBSQr61wuPw--60_35.JPG

I have never heard of this but I shall check it out. wai.gif

Edited by Jessi

Many posters corroborate my experience - exercise is the best medicine. Limiting the weight and increasing the repetitions seems much better than increasing weight. For times when I can't exercise, I use Voltaren tablets and gel but not for longer than a day or two. I also Lyprinol which is a concentrated oil derived from New Zealand Green-lipped Mussels. It's not cheap, being around 75 cents for a 50 mg capsule. I oreder it from a pharmacy in Australia and it's the most effective anti-inflammatory I've ever found. Some pharmacies in Thailand sell lifetune Green-lipped Mussel plus Fish oil - 45 capsules for about 900-1000 Baht. It's not as effective as the concentrated Lyprinol, but it is available from the Lifetune Care Center in Thailand. You can Google for their site or PM me and I'll send you their phone number. I have a crushed right shoulder which quickly becomes painful when I carry things or do weight-resistance training but Lyprinol keeps any resulting pain to a minimum. As a result of exercise and Lyprinol, I am usually free of pain!

I tried Green lip muscle extract about 25 years ago, it caused heart palpitations, so it was no good for me.

Thanks wai.gif

I think you will find that ibuprofen contains aspirin that acts as a blood thinner
It does not contain aspirin

But like all drugs of its class it does have an effect on coagulation and is contraindicated in people on warfarin.

In my experience what works best for the general aches of being older are:

Regular massage ...say once a week. Needs some trial and error to find someone with the right touch.

stretches of the affected muscles and joints (again, some initial trial and error to find the best ones) -- be guided by how each stretch feels and don't do anything that really hurts. You want to feel the mild didcomfort of stretching out just a little more than comes easily, but not actual pain.

Exercise -- likewise trial and error, and keep it to a reasonable pace, don't overdo.Avoid high impact exercises and don't continue any exercise past the point of pain or breathlessness. Regular exercise can do wonders but the wrong type can make matters worse/cause injury in older people.

Heating pad or hot bath if spasms of back muscles involved

Thank you Sheryl,

I am having massage by a lady here in Korat she seems to know what its all about and its helping. I have had 4 massages so far and I'm doing 3 a week for 3 weeks then cut it down to one a week.

Stretching exercise McKenzie, some are a benefit some not.

I have Hot & cold pads also a hot water bottle, all of these help to some degree.

As Diagnosed by a Orthopedic surgeon and with x rays & tests I have Spinal Stenosis and Sciatica nerve problem. Arthritis in my joints I have had for many years.

On my last visit he gave me LYRICA caps, yes they help but the cost is about 60B per cap. He has also given me Norgesic Tabs

which also help.

Over the years the Sciatica problem has increased, now I get the pain when, walking sitting and standing, sometimes the only relief I get is lying down.

With the chronic pain from the Sciatica I find walking impossible, I have always enjoyed walking but now not possible. I am hoping the massage will help me enough so I can get back to walking.

Like I stated in my OP I was hoping for a new ointment or balm that might help.

Many of the members have come through with some good ideas and advice.thumbsup.gif

Many thanks to all of you.

wai.gifwai.gifwai.gifwai.gifwai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

Next time you visit Australia you could by a jar of GOANNA Salve - lovely stuff, the Aus equivalent to Tiger Balm.

Both of course are smoke and mirrors, any benefit from their use probably comes from the rubbing . . .

When I want some reliable relief from pain which can be identified positively as soft tissue pain I use Ibuprofen - at least it has a scientific background.

Taken orally or rubbed on as a Gel. In Aus the Gel is called Nurofen Gel.

Thank you Sheryl,

I am having massage by a lady here in Korat she seems to know what its all about and its helping. I have had 4 massages so far and I'm doing 3 a week for 3 weeks then cut it down to one a week.

Stretching exercise McKenzie, some are a benefit some not.

I have Hot & cold pads also a hot water bottle, all of these help to some degree.

As Diagnosed by a Orthopedic surgeon and with x rays & tests I have Spinal Stenosis and Sciatica nerve problem. Arthritis in my joints I have had for many years.

On my last visit he gave me LYRICA caps, yes they help but the cost is about 60B per cap. He has also given me Norgesic Tabs

which also help.

Over the years the Sciatica problem has increased, now I get the pain when, walking sitting and standing, sometimes the only relief I get is lying down.

With the chronic pain from the Sciatica I find walking impossible, I have always enjoyed walking but now not possible. I am hoping the massage will help me enough so I can get back to walking.

Like I stated in my OP I was hoping for a new ointment or balm that might help.

Many of the members have come through with some good ideas and advice.thumbsup.gif

Many thanks to all of you.

wai.gifwai.gifwai.gifwai.gifwai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

If you have spinal stenosis, this is more than just the aches and pains of old age. Surgery may be necessary in cases like yours where there is radiculopathy provided the patient is a reasonable surgical risk, and with a good surgeon often gives excellent results. But the patient's overall condition in terms of surgical risk must be considered.

Another conservative measure which can be very helpful (though like all the other conservative measures, will need to be continued long term) is spinal traction. Hospital PT departments have devices for this but you can also purchase them. I got one at a sports equipment store in Phnom Penh, about $270, it works with a manual crank and nothing electric. Looks like one of those exercise tables people use for doing sit ups (with a place to hook your feet in), except it is flat and can be cranked to lengthen out once you are on it, thus gently stretching the vertebra and back muscles. I don't know if it can be found in Thailand, it was made in Viet Nam.

An inversion table, which you definitely can find here or order from Lazada, might also serve the purpoise (if it doesn't make you dizzy to be slightly upside down), in that instance gravity does the work of pulling your vertebra apart. Test it out first at the store to be sure you can tolerate it and that it helps before investing the $ to buy.