Private colleges to be asked to rethink the ban against students with tattoos

webfact

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Thomas Edison, Winston Churchill, Presidents Jackson, Roosevelt and Polk, R.H. Macy (Macy's) and George Orwell would not be able to attend these prestigious institutions.

Guaranteed none of these had the large earrings now popular. Edison patented the electric pen, he was famous and hardly in school at the time, plus it wasn't visible. It was 5 dots on his forearm. Churchill only had an anchor, and it was on his arm and not visible.

We're talking about school kids here. Not already famous people out of school.

Next they'll think of, is banning teeth braces. It's quite the rage to have these, especially in bright colours.

I'm sure most of these are purely decorative, but at least they're easily removed!

The vocational training college my stepson attended was not a private academy, yet he was obliged to remove his earrings and have the holes stitched up before he could be admitted.

Sounds like more left-hand-right-hand confusion.

Despite the obvious backflip. I have a few problems with this stupid rule. First the assumption that everyone with a tattoo is unruly, some sort of gangster and unable to learn is complete hogwash. Secondly they are talking about visible tattoos now I have seen quite a few shitty ones on Thai kids (up to them) but I haven't seen a lot on hands, necks, faces which is generally the sort of tattoo people find distasteful. I surely hope they are not talking about places that could be covered by long pants or a long sleeve shirt. The ear stretching thing is a nonsense I don't agree with it (but I am not a kid) but the young blokes up here running around with them are the artsy/ muso types that wouldn't hurt a fly and certainly aren't gangsters. Tattoos are a polarising subject regardless but to punish kids for something like a tattoo seems a little petty to me. Let em go to school.

Its not a discrimination, its a safeguard. Frankly, I would prefer a school without these tattooed and wide ear piecing students for my kids.

So you would feel "safeguarded" if your child chose not to study Theater Studies at the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague under the teachings of the brilliant playwright and composer, Professor Vladimir Franz?

Tattoos are not dangerous! cheesy.gif

post-234972-0-09942000-1438924754_thumb.

It's a bit of a turn-around for me to be defending people with tattoos, as I'm not crazy about the things (tattoos) at all. And I do believe that tattoos are correlated with undesirable characteristics (delinquency, etc.) just as they may also be correlated with positive characteristics such as creativity. That's because the wearing of tattoos is associated with deviancy and non-conformity (two over-lapping constructs). In fact, a colleague of mine did a study of members of one armed forces and found that soldiers with more two tattoos were significantly more likely to have discipline records than their peers. [This must all be taken in light of the fact that having a tattoo is becoming less 'out of the ordinary' in each generation].

But despite all this, it is indefensible (and stupid) to discriminate against a whole class of people (tattoo wearers). We're not talking about anything close to perfect associations here ... not all tattoo wearers will be hooligans. Far from it. And by discriminating against all of them, you will most definitely be harming some number of serious, intelligent, and creative students who need this opportunity. (And Thai society needs them to meet their potential, not to be locked out and dealing with resentment and frustration).

Its not a discrimination, its a safeguard. Frankly, I would prefer a school without these tattooed and wide ear piecing students for my kids.

So you would feel "safeguarded" if your child chose not to study Theater Studies at the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague under the teachings of the brilliant playwright and composer, Professor Vladimir Franz?

attachicon.gifvladimir_franz_2421729b.jpg

How would you cope with your perception of danger if your children wanted to study Public Speaking with Professor Bruce Potts?

post-234972-0-75754700-1438925408_thumb.

How would you cope with your perception of danger if your children wanted to study Public Speaking with Professor Bruce Potts?

attachicon.gifcollege-prof-bruce-potts.jpg

What if you got sick in New York and you were sent to see the "dangerous" Dr. David Ores! shock1.gif

post-234972-0-76490700-1438925915_thumb.

I think it may be a good idea to set up a commitee, as this is the answer to all problems, they could review the types of tattoo and piercings and report back in say, 6 months.

I know it's a new approach, but they could try it, just this once.

I would like to nominate this person to head the commitee as he has had vast experience in handling such matters.

post-240734-0-54171200-1438926320_thumb.

There are plenty of other options. Sorry, but something's not right here.

attachicon.gifcollege-prof-bruce-potts.jpg

What if you got sick in New York and you were sent to see the "dangerous" Dr. David Ores! shock1.gif

attachicon.gifDavid-Ores.jpg&imageversion=widescreen&maxw=770.jpg

With his sleeves down he has no visible tattoos. The other two, nope if I had a child I wouldn't let them any where near them!

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20131027/HEALTH_CARE/310279999/for-dr-david-ores-tats-not-all-folks

Over the years, Dr. David Ores has covered both his arms and upper back with tattoos. He likes to do the opposite for his patients. Dr. Ores is the founder of Fresh Start, a service that removes tattoos for free from people coming out of prison or leaving gangs. The side gig is just another expression of Dr. Ores' colorful approach to medicine.

His tattoo removal focuses on hands and necks—areas that pose big barriers to employment. He's removed about 200 tattoos since 2006, working out of his practice on the Lower East Side, near his home. He would like to do more but his marketing is limited, as was the laser he used, which could remove only certain colors. Five doctors in other states are donating their services, and he's asking tattooed NBA players to spread the word.

"Just the fact that you helped someone can change their perception of the world," he said. "I think that helps them know it's not so bleak."

With his sleeves down he has no visible tattoos. The other two, nope if I had a child I wouldn't let them any where near them!

That's a doctor, doctors have to roll their sleeves up to avoid contamination.

What is your fear exactly regarding tattoos?

By the way, the first example, Professor Vladimir Franz, received over 350,000 votes in the Czech general election, the Czechs are not so backward thinking. They always have been a progressive people, the first University, the first successful Communist community, the first public railway, the first to accept tuition from someone with facial tattoos...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20131027/HEALTH_CARE/310279999/for-dr-david-ores-tats-not-all-folks

Over the years, Dr. David Ores has covered both his arms and upper back with tattoos. He likes to do the opposite for his patients. Dr. Ores is the founder of Fresh Start, a service that removes tattoos for free from people coming out of prison or leaving gangs. The side gig is just another expression of Dr. Ores' colorful approach to medicine.

His tattoo removal focuses on hands and necks—areas that pose big barriers to employment. He's removed about 200 tattoos since 2006, working out of his practice on the Lower East Side, near his home. He would like to do more but his marketing is limited, as was the laser he used, which could remove only certain colors. Five doctors in other states are donating their services, and he's asking tattooed NBA players to spread the word.

"Just the fact that you helped someone can change their perception of the world," he said. "I think that helps them know it's not so bleak."

That article is misleading as it infers that all he does is remove tattoos, when in reality he is a GP.

http://www.davidjoresmd.org/

we're talking about education here. Everyone has the right to an education.

as for these being "private" schools, that makes no difference. rejecting someone because they have a tattoo is the same as sorting out who you accept based on the color of their skin... yeah, literally the same.

tattoos (except religious ones) is a clear sign that the individual does not have a mental ability to get an education. so why teacher should waste time on him?

Obviously you are joking, right?

Anyone who deliberately disfigures themselves have a mentality that should be questioned, but I do not see what it has to

do with a persons mental ability to get an education.

There are plenty of people with tattoos who are in the kind of employment that requires a good education, but having common sense is another thing.

There are young people with university degrees from any country, who also smoke and get drunk regularly.

These are people with little common sense, but obviously studied hard for their qualifications.

we're talking about education here. Everyone has the right to an education.

as for these being "private" schools, that makes no difference. rejecting someone because they have a tattoo is the same as sorting out who you accept based on the color of their skin... yeah, literally the same.

Except tattoos are a choice

That article is misleading as it infers that all he does is remove tattoos, when in reality he is a GP.

http://www.davidjoresmd.org/

The article is not misleading. Read the entire article. But interesting even this man with lots of tats admits it's a barrier to getting a job. Something a few here don't want to admit.

Sorry, it does say the tattoo removal is a "side gig".

I am happy to admit that tattoos can be a barrier to employment, that is a fact, but they shouldn't be. Anyway, that has nothing to do with allowing people to study who already have tattoos. Are you saying the colleges should not accept these people as they deem them to be no of no use later, within the working world? I am sure there are plenty of things they could be studying which could lead to employment where tattoos will not be of concern. Why not train them in management, then they can decide if they are happy to employ staff with tats?

I find it interesting that so many people, under the argument of "it's their right", for people to have tattoos, but don't give private intities the same "rights" to choose who they allow in.

Your level of 'interest' has clearly not led to more than a simplistic level of thought on the matter. Do you find it "interesting" that black people wanted equal rights? Did that not do away with the whites "same" right to deny them those rights?

I find it interesting that so many people, under the argument of "it's their right", for people to have tattoos, but don't give private intities the same "rights" to choose who they allow in.

Your level of 'interest' has clearly not led to more than a simplistic level of thought on the matter. Do you find it "interesting" that black people wanted equal rights? Did that not do away with the whites "same" right to deny them those rights?

Actually I think exactly that. A person or business should have the right to make whatever choices in their lives that they want. And then live with the consequences. As long as there is no public funding then there should be no laws or intimidation. I do find it “interesting” that you try to equate race with getting a tattoo. The race card has been played too many times for it to be affective.

Although everyone has the absolute right to do what they want with their own bodies, that is a given. A tattoo, or piercing your body is a choice, but all choices have consequences, and some consequences of your choices may limit what you may achieve in life while others will not.

Whilst it is your choice to do whatever you want to your body, this in no way means that everyone else in society has to condone your choices. You make the choice you deal with the consequences.

Edited by ourmanflint

Normally, entrance criteria to an educational institution are based on academics, not on looks....

people who discriminate like to discriminate against people "not like us"...

Skin color, sex, tattoos... it's all based on prejudices and in this case, prejudices that have ZERO to do with getting an education.

people who discriminate like to discriminate against people "not like us"...

Skin color, sex, tattoos... it's all based on prejudices and in this case, prejudices that have ZERO to do with getting an education.

No, no, no... disliking tattoos is not in any way the same as racism or sexism. If you have a properly thought out argument tell us, just don't fall back on old cliches, that really have nothing to do with this. It is the argument of the dim witted, and I didn't take you for that.

tattoos (except religious ones) is a clear sign that the individual does not have a mental ability to get an education. so why teacher should waste time on him?

what makes a religious tattoo different from a normal tattoo?

Normally, entrance criteria to an educational institution are based on academics, not on looks....

We're talking vocational "colleges" here. These are typically attended by kids who are learning various job specific skills for typically blue collar jobs. And here in Thailand, most of the students are under 18 (though some are over this age). These are not really academic institutions. And these are mostly under age kids. They are not being trained to become business leaders and or managers.