Channel Tunnel: Migrant 'almost' walked to England

webfact

Channel Tunnel: Migrant 'almost' walked to England

LONDON: -- A migrant was stopped inside the Channel Tunnel walking towards the UK, according to Eurotunnel.

The Sudanese national was arrested a few kilometres from the British entrance of the 50.5 km (31-mile) tunnel on Tuesday.
A spokesman for Eurotunnel said the person "almost succeeded in walking through the tunnel".

The train operator held an "unplanned" inspection on the same day, which led to four-hour delays.

A 40-year-old man, of no fixed address, has been charged with causing an obstruction to an engine or carriage using the railway and was due to appear at Medway Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

The incident came on the same night that migrants made about 600 attempts to enter the Channel Tunnel.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-33803928

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-08-07

Many of these so-called migrants are from countries that bitterly fought their foreign controllers for FREEDOM ,only to wind up in poverty and misery ,now they are trying to run away from those disfunctional countries to rejoin their overlords.Just see the fun.

A 40-year-old man, of no fixed address, has been charged with causing an obstruction to an engine or carriage using the railway...

don't you just love BBC journalists and the British legal system? laugh.png

The British empire plundered their colonies for centuries . Makes sense people wanna go to Britain , cause it's there that their riches is. Payback time.

If even walking through the chunnel is impossible , then only one option left : swim 20 km...

The British empire plundered their colonies for centuries . Makes sense people wanna go to Britain , cause it's there that their riches is. Payback time.

If even walking through the chunnel is impossible , then only one option left : swim 20 km...

The BIG problem with Thailand was and is , that it was Never part of The British Empire, had it of been part, then people here would know about democracy, would know how to run an election. would know how to run a law abiding police force and know how to train their armed forces... They might even know how to build a road properly .. The Romans taught the British. The British taught the world. Answer me one question... what is the language of the world..? And why would that be...

cant keep blaming the past.They wanted their independence,fair enough,then went back to their tribal way of governing.We gave them aid,they then put it in overseas bank accounts.

Like kids blaming their parents for their failings in life,but its not true.

The BIG problem with Thailand was and is , that it was Never part of The British Empire, had it of been part, then people here would know about democracy, would know how to run an election. would know how to run a law abiding police force and know how to train their armed forces... They might even know how to build a road properly .. The Romans taught the British. The British taught the world. Answer me one question... what is the language of the world..? And why would that be...

thailand's problem is misguided pride.

And somehow, this thread about the UK, now has a post making yet another dig at Thailand.

Back to the OP.....

As Brit D says, the guy's made it to the UK already, but why didn't they just send him back to Calais.

I'll have a read of the Daily Fail, that'll give me the answer. gigglem.gif

It's Spanish.

Hey, if anyone in the UK gub'ment is reading in...

Watch out for a run on sales of kayaks, rowboats and swimsuits on the French coast...

That's how I'd do it. Launch at dusk and be eating beans for breakfast.

Edited by impulse

Watch out for a run on sales of kayaks, rowboats and swimsuits on the French coast...

Now there's business opportunity..........thumbsup.gif

So I take it the 40 yr old man was the 1 in question who almost made it to uk but appears in court guess where uk so indeed he did make it rofl.

He will now be in a nice hotel, getting well fed and ready to move into his own house at the

UK taxpayers expense.

When in reality he should be locked up and awaiting deportation.

Oh without a doubt.

post-118612-14389297365201_thumb.jpg

A 40-year-old man, of no fixed address, has been charged with causing an obstruction to an engine or carriage using the railway...

don't you just love BBC journalists and the British legal system? laugh.png

If this man were to agree to immediately leave at his own expense and free will, there might not be any legal consequences so ever; he wouldn't even face a visa ban in the future for having entered without a valid visa. So the "traffic charges" are a way to nail him and to protect the railways. If convicted under the Malicious Damage Act 1861, Section 36 (what they seem to go for), he can be imprisoned for up to two years and will then be deported, without a real chance of remaining in the UK.

Common law tends to start from the assumption that things are possible unless explicitly outlawed or disapproved. I'm always under the impression that for our continental cousins, everything is verboten by default unless explicitly allowed. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Morakot

This post is all very true, apart from the 'payback' time part. Todays UK taxpayers are not at fault for this, so why should

they be held responsible for things that their ancestors did?

If my great grandfather had his house blown up during the Clydebank blitz, should I want to 'pay back' todays German people?

England, my England by a Pakistani
I come to england poor and broke
go on dole, see labour bloke
fill in form have lots of chatters
kind man gives me lots of ackers
i thank him much and then he say
come next week you get more pay
you come here we make you wealthy
doctor too, he make you healthy
six months on dole get plenty money
good pal meat to fill your tummy
send for friends from pakistan
tell them come as quick as can
they come here in rags, rags and tatters
go on dole you get some ackers
they come with me, we live together
one thing bad the bloody weather
one day white man come inside
ask me if i wash in tide
i say yes we wash in tide
too damn cold to wash outside
all get nicely settled down
find big house in busy town
fourteen families living up
fourteen families living down
all are paying nice fat rent
more in garden live in tent
so i send for wife and kids
they do not have to live in digs
six months later big bank role
off to labour draw more dole
wife want glasses teeth and pills
they all free we get no bills
white man good he pay all year
to keep national assistance here
bless all white man big and small
for paying tax to keep us all
we thank England, damn good place
too damn good for white man race
if they no like coloured man
plenty room in Pakistan

UK police probe migrant who allegedly walked Channel Tunnel

LONDON (AP) — British authorities are investigating how a Sudanese migrant managed to walk nearly the entire length of the 31-mile (50-kilometer) Channel Tunnel from Calais before being stopped.

Kent police say Abdul Rahman Haroun, 40, has been charged with causing an obstruction to an engine or carriage using the railway. He allegedly slipped past officers at the entrance of the tunnel and dodged hundreds of security cameras before being spotted by British security guards near Folkestone on Tuesday.

Eurotunnel described the incident as being extremely dangerous, with trains travelling up to 100 miles (160 kilometers) an hour.

Authorities have increased security, fence and border patrols amid an unprecedented surge this summer in migrants trying to reach Britain from France.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-07

beans for breakfast indeed. In jail only beans.

beans for breakfast indeed. In jail only beans.

These are the Beans................

post-198206-0-65378700-1438944635_thumb.

And somehow, this thread about the UK, now has a post making yet another dig at Thailand.

Back to the OP.....

As Brit D says, the guy's made it to the UK already, but why didn't they just send him back to Calais.

I'll have a read of the Daily Fail, that'll give me the answer. gigglem.gif

I'll save you the trouble. The Daily Fail said:-

"His reward will doubtless be asylum, with all the health and welfare benefits that status brings, and his triumph will be an inspiration to those he left behind".

In other words, job done, he's home and dry. But they also, rather pertinently, asked:-

"But what if he had been a terrorist? If a migrant can evade the security around the tunnel, why not a fanatic with a bomb?"

Get real. Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, France, Italy, UK, Britain, Belgium and Germany all had colonies around the world. Do you think they should all payback? And should the Italians pay for what the Romans plundered, and the Russians for what they plundered from East Europe after the WW11. The US ain't been slow at coming forward either.

Your logic is as myopic as your view of history.