PayPal phishing cheeky approach

jko

I received five copies of this mail this morning.

The return address is [email protected]
The click here (I deleted it) connects to a tinyurl web address

Presumably phishing - but asking you not to click it as spam, and warning you that bona-fide mails will include your name (and include none!) is pretty cheeky.

Email reads as below

Beware

=

Dear Customer,

Please read the updates to the PayPal User Agreement

We apologize if you get this message in JUNK box please click on NOT SPAM

Notice of new updates and changes to the PayPal User Agreement

Dear customer,

We're constantly working to make PayPal safer, simpler and more convenient for our customers.
This means that from time to time we have to make changes to the terms of our User Agreement.
To make sure you are always informed we have posted recent updates on our website.

What do I need to do?

• <click here> Log in and complete the new updates instructions, than you'll be redirected to our new user agreements page.
  • Please read the Policy Update carefully. It contains important legal information about when and how the changes to our User Agreement will become effective.
  • If you agree to the changes, you need to do update your account informations to secure your account.

Yours sincerely,

• How do I know this is not a fake email?

An email really coming from PayPal will address you by your first and last names or your business name. It will not ask you for sensitive information like your password, bank account or credit card details. Most fake emails threaten that your account will be in jeopardy if you do not take action immediately. An email that urgently requests you to supply sensitive personal information is usually an attempt at fraud. Also, fake emails often contain misspellings and grammatical errors or are written in a language which you did not set as preferred for your PayPal account. Remember not to click any links in suspicious looking emails.

Click here to learn how to defend yourself against phishing and spoofing (link removed!)
This email was sent to you because your email preferences are set to receive All Policy Change Notices.

Copyright © 1999-2015 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A., Société en Commandite par Actions. Registered office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449, Luxembourg, R.C.S. Luxembourg B 118 349.

Edited by jko

I love the irony.

The first thing the letter says is "We apologize if you get this message in JUNK box please click on NOT SPAM".

And then they use what would appear to be a legitimate copy of a PayPal letter which states amongst other things when warning how to recognise a phishing attempt that "...Also, fake emails often contain misspellings and grammatical errors.".

If these characters that try these phishing attempts could actually use the language correctly, they'd be far more successful. facepalm.gif

I had one last week telling me how to "Whizz Through Checkout", then invites me to change my password.

Dunno if it's fake though. Any thoughts...?

smile.png

Almost guaranteed to be a phishing attempt. Post the email so we can have a look and confirm for you.

Forward it to PayPal. I get Paypal spoofs/phishing from time to time. They usually email back to say something like "You're right it is fake blah blah blah ..."

If possible, copy and include the "source" when you forward the email to Paypal.

[email protected]

I have done every time in in the past but I got weary of their template replies, without saying what action they took if any. So I gave up.

Three more "Phishers of Men" have arrived since my original post. They try hard....