Six hundred protesters demand to keep Khon Kaen’s central bus terminal

Lite Beer

Six hundred protesters demand to keep Khon Kaen’s central bus terminal

by The Isaan Record

BKS1.png

KHON KAEN: -- Since 2013, the group “Rak Pattana Baw Kaw Saw 1,” has been organizing to prevent the closure of Khon Kaen’s central bus station. Yesterday’s protest comes after repeated efforts to petition local administration. Banner reads, “Khon Kaen needs two bus stations.”

Since 2013, the group “Rak Pattana Baw Kaw Saw 1,” has been organizing to prevent the closure of Khon Kaen’s central bus station. Yesterday’s protest comes after repeated efforts to petition local administration. Banner reads, “Khon Kaen needs two bus stations.”

KHON KAEN- Yesterday 600 protesters, organized by the group, “Rak Pattana Baw Kaw Saw 1,” gathered at the Khon Kaen Provincial Hall to voice their concern over the government’s decision to close Khon Kaen’s original bus terminal and consolidate all bus transportation in the city’s new bus terminal, 7km from the city center.

Khon Kaen used to have two bus stations downtown, the original bus station (Baw Kaw Saw 1), and a second terminal for air conditioned buses. The second terminal closed at the opening of the third terminal in 2014.

Protesters believe that closing the first station—which is located in the heart of the city—will greatly restrict access to downtown Khon Kaen for the 20,000 passengers who rely on buses for transportation each day. Protesters also claim that moving all bus transport to the distant terminal will increase the cost of transportation in the city. Many believe taxis will be the only option to get to and from the new location.

Mr. Anusak Vatcharronon, a police officer observing the protest, expressed concern that the move will cause several problems. He says, “Taxis that run from the new station will not use the meter and will just charge whatever they want. It’s not fair to the people.”

In addition, the 300 vendors and shop owners of Baw Kaw Saw 1, as well as bus drivers employed by the station, fear they will lose their jobs. Banphot Chamaarat, an elderly bus driver whose route runs between Khon Kaen and Ubon Ratchatani, says that the newer private bus station will not hire the bus drivers from the original terminal. “The bus station has been here for forty to fifty years and suddenly they are trying to move it,” said Mr. Banohot, “hundreds of other bus drivers will lose their jobs.”

The Khon Kaen Transportation Committee claims that the move will reduce traffic in the city and allow for business to expand into the old bus station’s prime location.

Read More: http://isaanrecord.com/

--The Isaan Record 2015-08-07

This has happened at so many towns and cities in Thailand and is nearly always badly handled by the authorities, as usually it signals a switch of benefits from one old-style patronage network at the central bus station to a new old-style patronage network at the edge-of-town bus terminal. While the centre of KK is horribly choked with bus traffic around the BorKorSor and it once took me 40 mins sitting on the bus just to get out the city, I would still prefer to see the station stay centrally located in its present position. The solution to congestion would perhaps be for the authorities to get more people out of their cars and on to buses, improve public transport in general (how about trams in the city?) and then better manage roads and traffic flow in general, as is done in most European cities.

As can be seen from this protest, hundreds of people's livelihoods will be ruined by any move out of town, and for sure it will mostly benefit a few mafiosi families, while poorer people who rely on buses will be screwed by the cost of transport into the city from the outskirts. Just a ruse to line the pockets of a wealthy few, in most cases. whistling.gif

1. It won't be such an issue provided that there is public songthaew service to BKS 3 during all hours when buses are arriving and departing. (By "public songthaew",I mean the hop on, hop off, pay a fixed fare variety)

Can anyone confirm the state of songthaew service to BKS 3 at present ? I think songthaew # 4 goes out there ? I do see the point of the protesters though, unlike in smaller centres, BKS 3 is a long way out of town. Especially for people going to places in the opposite direction, such as Kalasin for example, it seems nonsensical to have to go out to BKS 3 first.

2. I don't see how this would affect the bus drivers. Either they are expected to have motorcycles, or there must be some sort of transportation provided to take them to/from their homes at the beginning/end of their shift. I am sure that the bus drivers do not all live within walking distance of BKS 1 now.

3. Off topic, but does anyone know what is planned for the very large site which has been cleared and consolidated on the south side of Highway 12, immediately south of BKS 1 ?

If this is that small, filthy, pig-sty of a hole in the center of town I always have to go through when going to Kalasin and where we have to sit in our bus for 30+ minutes doing absolutely nothing before heading to Kalasin, then it needs to go badly.

The other station we usually stop at very briefly while heading in the opposite direction, back to Pattaya, is in far better condition with more room, cleaner and more open.

@ allane , your point nr. 3 - might be the main cause and TPTB must have an arrangement for

" beautification " of the area by kicking out smelly busses and common people if you get my drift.

the empty space is for building a MEGA MALL with all facilities concentrated in 1 location,

the builder must have very deep pocket and traffic congestion is not their concern.

plus the main actors have very good connection to The Authorities involved. Just watch.

Public transport to Terminal-3 ( BorKorSor SAM ) is practically NON EXISTANT, EXCEPT FOR

TAXIS and High Priced ride in a songthaew, don't let anyone tell you OTHERWISE.

THANK GOD - there's GRABTAXI , BUT I think they are not in Khon Kaen yet .

- a mega-mall would be my guess too, judging by the size and location of that site.

- assuming that the protests will come to nothing, is there any word yet on a date for the closure of BKS 1 ?

The buses which terminate there are more important to those of us who live outside of meuang Khon Kaen, and in nearby provinces, but we will be the last to know if and when it has closed. It would be greatly appreciated if those who live in Khon Kaen could keep us advised of developments.

1. It won't be such an issue provided that there is public songthaew service to BKS 3 during all hours when buses are arriving and departing. (By "public songthaew",I mean the hop on, hop off, pay a fixed fare variety)

Can anyone confirm the state of songthaew service to BKS 3 at present ? I think songthaew # 4 goes out there ? I do see the point of the protesters though, unlike in smaller centres, BKS 3 is a long way out of town. Especially for people going to places in the opposite direction, such as Kalasin for example, it seems nonsensical to have to go out to BKS 3 first.

2. I don't see how this would affect the bus drivers. Either they are expected to have motorcycles, or there must be some sort of transportation provided to take them to/from their homes at the beginning/end of their shift. I am sure that the bus drivers do not all live within walking distance of BKS 1 now.

3. Off topic, but does anyone know what is planned for the very large site which has been cleared and consolidated on the south side of Highway 12, immediately south of BKS 1 ?

Point 2. The bus drivers are complaining about losing their jobs, not about the extra distance to travel to work.

"In addition, the 300 vendors and shop owners of Baw Kaw Saw 1, as well as bus drivers employed by the station, fear they will lose their jobs. Banphot Chamaarat, an elderly bus driver whose route runs between Khon Kaen and Ubon Ratchatani, says that the newer private bus station will not hire the bus drivers from the original terminal. “The bus station has been here for forty to fifty years and suddenly they are trying to move it,” said Mr. Banohot, “hundreds of other bus drivers will lose their jobs.”

I think something is lost in the translation here as, to the best of my knowledge, the buses at BKS 1 are privately owned and operated and pay for a licence to operate from the terminal. I think they are worried that these small businesses, typically operating 2 or 3 buses, will be pushed out in favour of one or two large operators, leaving the small owner/operators with no livelihood and in some cases an outstanding bank loan on the bus.

the "fate" of small bus operators / independents - will not enter the equation.

whoever run the new terminal BKS-3 will determine whatever suit them best ( maximum profit ).

it's a sad reality - especially if some old-timers must be sacrificed. The TAXI MAFIA might be run

by the same consortium who owns BKS-3 , so the "public" could scream all they want .

UNLESS - you raise a stink at City Hall and Land Transport department. but you the "public"

have little choice , as is the fact in many other things ....

Both BKS 1 and BKS 3 are run by The Transport Co. of Thailand; that is what the Thai initials baw-khaw-saw stand for. A move of the terminal from one point in Khon Kaen city to another should not change the demand for the number of bus trips, buses or drivers from the surrounding region into the city, and vice versa.

Food vendors etc. who work at BKS 1 could be another story. Some of them may find the logistics and cost wouldn't make relocation to BKS 3 a viable option.

After glancing at the full story in the Isaan Record, I see the closure is scheduled for Aug. 22. That does seem unneccessarily early, if indeed it is necessary at all. If it is tied to development of the piece of land I referred to above, not a shovelful of dirt had been turned there when I was last in Khon Kaen about a week ago.