Affirmation of marital status - Download

nakotic

Ok, I hate to ask this but I've been searching everywhere and I cannot get a definite answer.

I am a never married Englishman living in Thailand permanently on a Retirement Visa.

I am planning on getting married and after a long time searching I still cannot find this in a downloadable form "Affirmation of marital status" .I have found it on the Thai British Embassy website but both copies have specimen watermarked through them.

I can download the Affidavit and Affirmation forms without a problem but the "Affirmation of marital status" download just refuses to be found.

Please, can anyone help ?

....thought so....this is what the GOVUK guidance says;

"please retype the affirmation on one page in the same format as the attached sample adding your details where required and bring it in person to the Embassy to sign before a Consular Official"

And the witnesses part ? Get someone local to do it or is itthe Embassy that does it ? The part where it says

I propose the following people for reference purposes if it is necessary to verify the above details.

Just names and addresses of family back home I guess ?

Edited by nakotic

And the witnesses part ? Get someone local to do it or is itthe Embassy that does it ? The part where it says

I propose the following people for reference purposes if it is necessary to verify the above details.

Just names and addresses of family back home I guess ?

I used my brother and his wife's details who live in the UK. No one at the embassy or the MFA checked.

Hopefully the very last question on this now. Girls name and address, it says on the form "usual address". Does that mean where she's living now or the address on her house paper ?

Sorry to be a pain but I want it 100% spot on for when I go.

Any help appreciated please.

The address on her house book and ID card.

Please remember that when you get the affirmation translated the translator will need to see your partners name and address in Thai. Either take a copy of her ID card and house book with you, or take her.

Your name is also going to be translated into Thai. If you have a work permit, take this as the translator will use the same translation that is on your work permit. If not, the translator/MFA will translate your name for you.

Edited by blackcab

It just gets better and better.

Here is a copy of the form downloaded from the British Embassy Website.

I took it to a big visa shop run by a farang today and showed him, he said it's not the one they use ? But yesterday another shop said it was the correct one ?

I've tried phoning the Embassy to ask them, automated message at 10.15 said they were closed, I've sent them an email and they replied they'd get back to me, usually within 20 days ?

I really don't know which way to turn now as I'm getting different answers from all sides !

post-117730-0-78992900-1439368960_thumb.

I can assure you that is the correct example of what the British Embassy use. I speak from experience - I used that exact example myself in February of this year with no problems at all.

It is downloadable here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

The person you talked to either had no idea at all or they had a financial interest in telling you otherwise, or both.

All you have to do is retype the example in the same format using only a single side of one A4 sheet of paper. Obviously change the details to suit, and make sure you do not include the word "specimen" in the background.

Don't get too hung up about this. An affidavit is anything that starts with, "I, Joe Bloggs, do solemnly and sincerely affirm as follows:"

and ends with, "Signed at...." with the date, signature, and, "Before me".

Anything truthful can be in the middle.

If you do get something wrong it's not the end of the world. The Embassy staff will explain what needs changing and they won't charge you.

If you have an early appointment and you have emailed the completed document to yourself you can use one of the visa agencies across the road to correct and reprint the document for a small fee and go back before 11.30am the same day.

Edited by blackcab

I can assure you that is the correct example of what the British Embassy use. I speak from experience - I used that exact example myself in February of this year with no problems at all.

It is downloadable here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

The person you talked to either had no idea at all or they had a financial interest in telling you otherwise, or both.

All you have to do is retype the example in the same format using only a single side of one A4 sheet of paper. Obviously change the details to suit, and make sure you do not include the word "specimen" in the background.

Don't get too hung up about this. An affidavit is anything that starts with, "I, Joe Bloggs, do solemnly and sincerely affirm as follows:"

and ends with, "Signed at...." with the date, signature, and, "Before me".

Anything truthful can be in the middle.

If you do get something wrong it's not the end of the world. The Embassy staff will explain what needs changing and they won't charge you.

If you have an early appointment and you have emailed the completed document to yourself you can use one of the visa agencies across the road to correct and reprint the document for a small fee and go back before 11.30am the same day.

Thank you very much for your help, I think where you wrote "The person you talked to either had no idea at all or they had a financial interest in telling you otherwise, or both." is right, he wanted me to use his services for a decent sized fee.

I feel a lot better now, thanks again, I do appreciate your help.

Just a bit of an update here that may help other people in the future ?

I sent an email to the British Embassy with a couple of questions regarding this. They have just called me with these answers which surprised me.

Even though I have lived here for the last 6 years non-stop they have told me to put a UK address on the form, also to put my witnesses as UK residents too.

She also told me that my girlfriends address can be either the one on her house paper ( which I will go with ) or where she is staying now.

Maybe this will help someone in the future ?

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys i plan on getting married to my fiance within the next month and just want to clarify a few points with regards to this topic.

do i need to make an appointment with the british embassy in order to get the affidivet stating i can marry signed or do i just show up and get them signed?

do i need to make an appointment with the thai consulate to get the translated affidivet stamped by them?

do i need to make 2 copies of the affidivet, 1 in english and another in thai and get them signed by each embassy or do i translate the document signed by the british embassy and then go and get that stamped by the thai consulate?

can i do this all on the same day?

at the bottom of the form it says signiture of witness? does this mean i need to take somebody with me to the british embassy when getting the affidivit signed by the consular section staff? or would this be the signiture of the staff at the embassy?

thanks in advance for any replies

Edited by Jay2013