Angry fishing groups want govt funds to help with career change or buy their boats

Lite Beer

I'm surprised the TV software allowed 'empathy', I thought it was on the list of words to be deleted before allowed online.

Agree with you BTW.

Yeah.

I thought I saw a tinge of empathy for all the nice bar owners suddenly faced with enforcement of long standing rules about selling booze close to schools. Lots of lamentation about losing their businesses and their life savings, and the unfairness of it all.

Turns out, I think the guys were just afraid they'd lose some of their watering holes. Or they'd have to walk further for a bender.

And strangely, not a single post comparing the nice bar owners to bank robbers and drug dealers.

I'm pondering what that says about...

I'm surprised the TV software allowed 'empathy', I thought it was on the list of words to be deleted before allowed online.

Agree with you BTW.

Yeah.

I thought I saw a tinge of empathy for all the nice bar owners suddenly faced with enforcement of long standing rules about selling booze close to schools. Lots of lamentation about losing their businesses and their life savings, and the unfairness of it all.

Turns out, I think the guys were just afraid they'd lose some of their watering holes. Or they'd have to walk further for a bender.

And strangely, not a single post comparing the nice bar owners to bank robbers and drug dealers.

What is says is ....

There is no similarity between LEGALLY LICENSED bars serving alcohol near schools under pre-Junta government law and ILLEGAL fishing boats and gear that have been operating under any government laws. The Junta CHANGED the rules to EXISTING businesses. The rules NEVER CHANGED for fishing boats; they just became enforced.

Jeeeeez, I'm squeeeeeezing out the tears.

Burn and sink their worthless scows and throw

the jerks that refuse to comply in jail.

Screw em just like they been screwin the oceans.

I have absolutly no sympathy for the fishermen as I have made clear in a number of threads. They are responsible for the mess the industry has got into with their flagrant disregard for the rules and regulations and their rapacious exploration of the natural resources offered by the sea.

However, it would do no harm to retrain them and buy the boats up. Might be expensive but in the long term everyone would benefit.

Re'train them as jet ski operators perhaps?

Agree with you BTW.

Yeah.

I think you'll find that most people don't have empathy for murderous slavers.

The new laws that affect what were previously legal bars aren't even comparable. They were poorly conceived and will have zero effect on students drinking.

Edited by FloridaExport

This grouper angry fishermen are carping about the enforcement of existing regulations.

There is no plaice for this type of seagoing shark, with all their illegal gear, in this day and age with fish stocks in decline everywhere.

The fishing associations were salmoned and given a fair herring a few months ago by the government and warned about more rigorous enforcement.

Previous governments have always floundered around when this issue arose Now that sanctions have been threatened by the EU and USA etc there seems to be positive action being taken.

The sole reason they are now crying is a load of pollocks because they did not expect the government to stand its ground.

In fact I think the government should start seizing and storing illegal vessels just for the halibut.

Maybe then there would be a ray of hope for the industry as a whole.facepalm.gif

This grouper angry fishermen are carping about the enforcement of existing regulations.

There is no plaice for this type of seagoing shark, with all their illegal gear, in this day and age with fish stocks in decline everywhere.

The fishing associations were salmoned and given a fair herring a few months ago by the government and warned about more rigorous enforcement.

Previous governments have always floundered around when this issue arose Now that sanctions have been threatened by the EU and USA etc there seems to be positive action being taken.

The sole reason they are now crying is a load of pollocks because they did not expect the government to stand its ground.

In fact I think the government should start seizing and storing illegal vessels just for the halibut.

Maybe then there would be a ray of hope for the industry as a whole.facepalm.gif

Start investigating Boat Kippers who do no make their boats legal for poaching before the crackdown.

The government have let them do this all these years.

Pretty sure many of the "simple fishermen" dont even know the rules they were breaking.

Nevertheless, if they were allowed by the government, then the government also have some sort of responsibility here.

Start investigating Boat Kippers who do no make their boats legal for poaching before the crackdown.

The government will have to mullet over.

Edited by ratcatcher

Yeah.

I think you'll find that most people don't have empathy for murderous slavers.

The new laws that affect what were previously legal bars aren't even comparable. They were poorly conceived and will have zero effect on students drinking.

My suspicion is that the percentage of fishermen that used slaves is about the same as (or less than) the percentage of bar owners that pimp out trafficked women, drug their customers so the women can roll them, and extort customers that won't pay 25,000 baht for sitting in their bar on a slow night. Oh, and sell booze to any 12 year olds who have the cash...

So it's a little disingenuous to condemn the fishermen and hold the bar owners out as beacons of free enterprise. On both counts, the vast majority are just decent folk making a living doing what the government allows them to do, regardless of what the laws say. When the laws change, or enforcement changes, they get hurt financially. Their families get hurt.

Edited by impulse

Get the Government to pay twice the value for the boats,

then store them in a warehouse,that would seem to be

them norm for Thailand.

regards Worgeordie

How about paying market value for the boats less the cost of taking them out and scuttling them in areas where the fisherman have destroyed the reefs. The boats would then be doing a service by providing shelter for reef fish who can no longer find one.

It would be interesting to see a few interviews with some of the boat captains about their role in protecting the ecology of Thai fishing grounds.

"If the government wants to overhaul the whole structure of Thai fisheries, they should also help the fishermen by setting up a [career change] fund or buy the fishing boats from them," he said.

Did they overhaul the structure? I thought they just started to enforce some decades old laws, that were ignored by the fisherman ever since.