New Booze Laws May Be About To Get Interesting

Konini

I've just been reading the newspaper we don't tend to mention around here, and it appears that 5 senior Chiang Mai police have been transferred with immediate effect for being 'negligent in allowing entertainment venues to open near Chiang Mai University and operate beyond the limited hours in violation of an order....'

I thought that the new rules were on hold for either 3 or 6 months until they figured out who is to be included and excluded and 'entertainment zones' established. And there's me thinking that they weren't going to be serious about it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've already informed the bars, out by 22 August.

A police women owned a bar in MoonMuang Soi 2, she has already closed it after pulling every string and calling in every favour she could find.

She said there is no way out for anyone, and she should know.

Post quoting the Bangkok Post removed.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

A friend told me last night that Derm Derm, a popular student bar near CMU, has been told to close. Unlike some bars we could name, Derm Derm is not known for fights, drugs, or prostitutes, it's just a convenient place where university students and other young Thais of legal drinking age like to hang-out. I don't see how closing places like this make Chiang Mai a better city.

Are other parts of Thailand enforcing this vague proposal for a law? If not, why is it being enforced here?

A friend told me last night that Derm Derm, a popular student bar near CMU, has been told to close. Unlike some bars we could name, Derm Derm is not known for fights, drugs, or prostitutes, it's just a convenient place where university students and other young Thais of legal drinking age like to hang-out. I don't see how closing places like this make Chiang Mai a better city.

Are other parts of Thailand enforcing this vague proposal for a law? If not, why is it being enforced here?

You may not have seen this recent news article:

Booze Ban to be Arbitrarily Enforced During 6-month 'Study'

Key phrase: "“In the meantime, security officers will have to exercise their judgement, based on appropriateness of the situation,” Saman Footrakul, director of the Alcohol Beverage Office, told reporters today."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845908-booze-ban-in-thailand-to-be-arbitrarily-enforced-during-6-month-study/

You may not have seen this recent news article:

Booze Ban to be Arbitrarily Enforced During 6-month 'Study'

Key phrase: "“In the meantime, security officers will have to exercise their judgement, based on appropriateness of the situation,” Saman Footrakul, director of the Alcohol Beverage Office, told reporters today."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845908-booze-ban-in-thailand-to-be-arbitrarily-enforced-during-6-month-study/

I saw it, and assumed the "judgment" of the security officers would be used to shakedown bar owners for bribes. However it seems the police in Chiang Mai are more puritanical in their judgment than in other parts of Thailand.

I was wondering about that place, and thought it would be a good litmus test for the CMU perimeter. Interesting report, however, I just walked past the Hush Bar at 19:00, and it was open for business for the first time in about a month, as well as a little place next to it. Not only are they well within 300m of CMU, they are within the part that is the Demonstration School. Hush Bar seems to have been very well connected in the past, but I won't comment on their operating hours......

The flood stricken farmers, illegal fisherman, previous politicians, street vendors on sidewalks, beach vendors, bar owners -

I get nervous when I make just 1 thai person angry with me.

Good vibes.....just leave and don't slam door

Apparently the busies were out shutting Loi Kroh at midnight last night.

Last night also according to (a home very early for a weekend) Mr K but he mentioned Riverside and Goodview were still open as he came home.

Bars in Zoe Yellow area have been warned to close on time as penalties will be harsh and swift if they do not conform. As a result many are closing early as not to be caught out by officials with faulty watches!

Before long y'all will have to give up drinking alcohol or leave. Gee.

I don't understand why y'all have to drink alcohol. What's the matter with non-alcoholic drinks? Why are y'all so desperate to drink alcoholic drinks?

Yeah, ok, we get it. You're alcohol-free. What a guy. Everybody should be like you. Now. Back to the discussion...

I don't understand why y'all have to drink alcohol. What's the matter with non-alcoholic drinks? Why are y'all so desperate to drink alcoholic drinks?

Because not y'all of us are like y'all from the y'all Bible Belt. Y'all

I thought a Ya'll was some kind of a sailboat........

Born in Nawlins, Loosiana

Raised in Newport, Rhode Island

Haven't lived in either of them in over 40 years

I grew up in a bible belt town, and it drove me to drink. I wasn't the only one, there were more bars than churches in that small town, and there were a lot of churches.

Another side effect of my bible belt childhood is that I'm happy to live on the other side of the world in county with pretty ladies and a religion that doesn't proselytize. If only the beer were better.

I grew up in a bible belt town, and it drove me to drink. I wasn't the only one, there were more bars than churches in that small town, and there were a lot of churches.

Another side effect of my bible belt childhood is that I'm happy to live on the other side of the world in county with pretty ladies and a religion that doesn't proselytize. If only the beer were better.

Hallelujah!!

Before long y'all will have to give up drinking alcohol or leave. Gee.

Yeah, ok, we get it. You're alcohol-free. What a guy. Everybody should be like you. Now. Back to the discussion...

Well said.

Or maybe some of us like the freedom to choose....and don't pretend to be 'Thaier than Thou'.

I sense he wears an amulet.....

Hallelujah!!

Praise the lord and pass the moonshine!

Hallelujah!!

Praise the lord and pass the moonshine!

Sounds like a toast in Saudi thumbsup.gif

Naw, he walks around with a bible thumping it and doing like my dad the lay baptist preacher, breaking up families because the husband or wife enjoys a drink. Troglodyte. Hey TunnelRat, I know Nawlins, Loosiana just a bit. Spent a lot of time around Lake Charles, Vinton etc. Laissez les bons temps rouler-let the good times roll. My first wife was Cajun. I missed a few of the best years there with an expense paid vacation in sunny SE Asia, courtesy Uncle Sam's Misguided Children...lol.