Just moved to Udom Suk...People, Places?

OliverKlozerof

Howdy,
As my old studio apartment of the last nine years in Chitlom was to be torn down, I had to move. After considerable searching, I decided on Udom Suk (3 stops past On Nut on BTS line). So far I'm liking it a lot (small room, but quiet and close to BTS). Anyone living out near here who'd like to have a coffee sometime? I'd like to make some acquaintances out here. (I'm 59-year-old American, originally from Seattle. 10 years in Japan in the '90s, life long guitarist, Mac consultant since 1995, literature major....). And, so far I've discovered a few decent places to eat, but would be happy to find more, like quiet cafes where they might be convinced to make me a veggie omelet or fresh mixed fruit! PM me?
Thanks,
Dave

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a nice Thai place on the 'odd numbered side'' hand exit (Left, if you're facing Bang Na) Go down the stairs and come back on yourself. There are large tables outside. You can't miss it. They do reasonable Thai food to order and cheap beers. Great spot to sit and people watch especially at rush hour. They don't speak much English but after nine years in Chidlom you should have enough Thai to get by.

There seems to be a lot of Westerners around there taking advantage of the cheaper rent when compared to elsewhere in the BTS. That area used to be well known for being the domain of Bangkok's TEFLers and unemployable chancers so good luck. I'm sure you'll meet a lot of erm...''IT Professionals" with invented "Property Portfolios in Lancaster Gate' and fantasy lifestyles so tread carefully.

There's a nice Thai place on the 'odd numbered side'' hand exit (Left, if you're facing Bang Na) Go down the stairs and come back on yourself. There are large tables outside. You can't miss it. They do reasonable Thai food to order and cheap beers. Great spot to sit and people watch especially at rush hour.

I've seen that spot...I'm sure I'll try it some day, it looks very popular, with farang, too. Only thing is, I prefer not to sit almost on busy Sukhumvit, with all the bus fumes and noise. About a 5 min. walk down soi Udom Suk (103), on the left are a couple places back off the main road a bit. Food probably not as good as the place you mention though.

I used to live in 101/1 , close to Udomsok BTS, a few hundred meters down the soi . some nice condos there with swimming pool . Can recommend S&S condo , a bit small the rooms though, paid 10k for the rent .

Plenty of resturants and cheap food around, but traffic can be really bad during rush hours but not the worst part of Bangkok to live in. Much better than On Nut.

Edited by balo

get a 38,46,48 or 119 bus by the bts station. (generally a huge crowd outside the seven eleven) and go to Ram2. if you find the night market area there are some wonderful places to eat or sip a cold one and watch the world go by. one of my favourite places.

get a 38,46,48 or 119 bus by the bts station. (generally a huge crowd outside the seven eleven) and go to Ram2. if you find the night market area there are some wonderful places to eat or sip a cold one and watch the world go by. one of my favourite places.

What is "Ram2"? Is that the full name?

What is "Ram2"? Is that the full name?

It stands for Ramkamhaeng 2 though known locally as 'Ram Sorng''. It is a small residential area with a few decent bars/restaurants/markets/shops there though as it's close to a Campus of Ramkamhaeng University I wonder about the future of the place. During term time it buzzes with totty.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a nice Thai place on the 'odd numbered side'' hand exit (Left, if you're facing Bang Na) Go down the stairs and come back on yourself. There are large tables outside. You can't miss it. They do reasonable Thai food to order and cheap beers. Great spot to sit and people watch especially at rush hour.

I've seen that spot...I'm sure I'll try it some day, it looks very popular, with farang, too. Only thing is, I prefer not to sit almost on busy Sukhumvit, with all the bus fumes and noise. About a 5 min. walk down soi Udom Suk (103), on the left are a couple places back off the main road a bit. Food probably not as good as the place you mention though.

Did make it to that spot the other night. Despite being open air, right on Sukhumvit and under the BTS station, they have a room away from the street a bit with fans. Cashew chicken was delicious (though a bit too much oil). Yes--good place to hang, reasonable prices, good service...no wonder it's so popular.

Head to Suk soi 107 (bearing) on your LH side will be plenty of fairy lights, thats the place you want.

What sort of place? Coffee shop? Restaurant/bar?

With "fairy lights", he might be referring to the ugly girlie bars in the middle of 107 ... FYI, half of them have been recently demolished.

Head to Suk soi 107 (bearing) on your LH side will be plenty of fairy lights, thats the place you want.

With "fairy lights", he might be referring to the ugly girlie bars in the middle of 107 ... FYI, half of them have been recently demolished.

They were hardly girly bars, more like your traditional up country Thai karaoke bar.

If you carry on down soi bearing to the traffic lights and turn left there are many restaurants and bars to try, night time only area though.

They were hardly girly bars, more like your traditional up country Thai karaoke bar.

If you carry on down soi bearing to the traffic lights and turn left there are many restaurants and bars to try, night time only area though.

Finally made it over to Bearing (Soi 107) today. Bicycled down quite a ways, but not as far as traffic lights (will have to be another day). It was around 4:30pm, so daytime. Only thing with possible "fairy lights" did look like a very basic bar/shack. I.e., such reference apparently meant as a joke. I cycled back near Sukhumvit, took a look in an air conditioned coffee shop. Looked OK, but some dick on his cell phone, which I happen to hate. Right next door was very good open air Thai restaurant. I had the typical Isaan meal of somtam and fried chicken (gai tawt). Basic, but done to perfection. With a large LEO and ice. They forgot the sticky rice (kao niaw), but that was probably for the best, as I got full enough on the other.

Edited by OliverKlozerof

Sukhumvit soi 101/1 restaurant called Develish for western food, next door the glass house for Thai food and 2 doors down Tapas, all recommended

Are some/all of these in a little area together on the left side about 5min walk from Sukhumvit?

Correct, just set back slightly from the road.

Sukhumvit soi 101/1 restaurant called Develish for western food, next door the glass house for Thai food and 2 doors down Tapas, all recommended

Are some/all of these in a little area together on the left side about 5min walk from Sukhumvit?

OK. I've been by there several times now. First time, I went in, but they had this ridiculous audio coming out of the speakers everywhere. I'm more sensitive to this than most people, probably because I've been a musician all my life. It's like, "we'll just play this, since it seems to be what all the other places play." I call it "fashion sound," as I don't consider it music. Thumping, brainless auto-tune pop/hip-hop garbage. Alas, I guess I'll have to do what I do many other places, which is just put in my ear buds and listen to some real music on my player and hope it drowns out the garbage they pump in.

Oh, now I recall that at the time I asked the proprietor of one place there if he could change or turn off their audio. He said no. So I left. Plus, it seemed pricier than I prefer. But occasionally I splurge.

BTW, I went to the Cat Cafe in Udom Suk today. I love cats, but these cats all seemed extremely bored since they've obviously gotten over the attentions of customers long ago.

Also found the video of the Flying Chicken place on Bangna-Trat Road, not far away. Hilarious. I'll have to get there soon.

Hi

udomsuk area also not that hard to find food place. you caion as n go to central Bangna also Big C supermarket you might be able to find local food there. another option you can go to Paradise Mall not far from Udomsuk. and every weekend there is a train market near seacon market you can find a lot of foreigners and also local street food.

I live at Bering station (sukumvit 113) Paradise is my favorite mall too. can watch movie, cafes, food, supermarket, and new decorate.

just take my suggestions as an idea.

welcome to Udomsuk :)

OK. I've been by there several times now. First time, I went in, but they had this ridiculous audio coming out of the speakers everywhere. I'm more sensitive to this than most people, probably because I've been a musician all my life. It's like, "we'll just play this, since it seems to be what all the other places play." I call it "fashion sound," as I don't consider it music. Thumping, brainless auto-tune pop/hip-hop garbage. Alas, I guess I'll have to do what I do many other places, which is just put in my ear buds and listen to some real music on my player and hope it drowns out the garbage they pump in.

Oh, now I recall that at the time I asked the proprietor of one place there if he could change or turn off their audio. He said no. So I left. Plus, it seemed pricier than I prefer. But occasionally I splurge.

BTW, I went to the Cat Cafe in Udom Suk today. I love cats, but these cats all seemed extremely bored since they've obviously gotten over the attentions of customers long ago.

Also found the video of the Flying Chicken place on Bangna-Trat Road, not far away. Hilarious. I'll have to get there soon.

Go to the chicken place at the weekend. The atmosphere is much better when it's busy.

For those living in the area, here's a couple more I found:

On my soi (66/1, just under Udom Suk BTS), walk down 3 minutes...near the 7 Eleven is Baan Chang cafe/restaurant--it's very reasonable, the food and service is good, is clean and has A/C.

I also found that down on soi 64, just before Punnawithi station, there are a few restaurants. If you go past the ones that are on the right (if you're coming from Sukhumvit), there are a few more down a bit on the left. One in particular has a nice aircon room, very clean, good food and reasonable prices. I have a bicycle, so not hard to get to Punnawithi, but on foot it's a small hike.
Oh, another interesting place...where One Udom Suk meets Soi Udom Suk (103), there is Cat Cafe, which has an aircon room with, you guessed it, lots of cats. I love cats, only problem is, I think these cats have suffered from being locked in a little cafe and being around so many people. They just lay around sleeping and don't seem to want to interact. Oh, well. It's still an interesting place. And the coffee was good and reasonable at 50 baht.

Went in to 101 Restaurant the other day and asked if they could make a veggie omelet. (I actually typed out basic instructions in Thai and English, in case they were clueless). After talking with the waitress (who spoke no English; I speak very basic Thai, but the Talking Thai app on my phone works wonders), who then spoke with the cook, they said yes, they could make it. But when I asked how much, they said B240 (with coffee and toast). I can get the same in Nana for (including small tip), B140, so I declined. Cool spot, with nice yard (UK: garden), in back. But a bit expensive for me. Baan Chang restaurant, just 3 minutes from my apartment, has American breakfast (2 eggs, bacon, toast, coffee), for just B85. But they don't do omelets.

Anyone know if a Sunday roast is available in the udom suk, bang-na area? A full English would be handy to know also for the rare occasion.

I tried the new seafood buffet on 103 about 3/4 the way down on the right set back. It's called Ginza and is 299b or 360b including as much Leo you want to drink for 1 and half hours. Nothing special but if you like shrimp and crab you will get your monies worth, clean and have a band on that's not crazy loud.

Further down the same soi you have Raan Lom which is always packed every day with Thais, can't work it out as been a few times and the food is just ok, must just be the in place at the moment.

Found a nice coffee shop down 101/1 (5-10 minutes walking) on the right called Fall in Love. Have aircon or side porch. Very nice and clean, good coffee. Actually have a current breakfast promotion: either scrambled eggs or omelet with toast, a large wiener, small salad. Very well made. Music is typical lousy pop you've heard a million times in Thailand, but there are some tables outside near the road away from the speakers. But the road is surprisingly noisy. Too bad that in order to get away from the ridiculous "audio entertainment," customers are forced to sit in the heat by the road. Anyway, glad I found this place. Obviously well managed (aside from the music, which, at least, is not too loud).

There's another small coffee shop a bit farther on, on the left, which is on same grounds as some fairly large outdoor, hi-so looking 'Wine (something-or-other)' where a bland trio plays in the evening. Anyway, I rode by on my bike one evening, noticed it and went in. The owner (manager?), a friendly Thai who tried to communicate in English, seemed like he'd go out of his way to make me some eggs and toast if I came back some morning, which I told him I'd do sometime.

Thanks for sharing this neat places. I lived on 101/1 a couple of years ago and liked going for a walk up to 101. Less traffiic than either 103 or 101/1. A few interesting outdoor spots on that street -- although none specifically I remember. There was also a lively outdoor night market on 101. Maybe 10-15 min. walk from Sukhumvit. Pretty basic stuff for sale but it had very down home feel. Some musicians jamming as well off the back of a pickup truck.