Just moved to Udom Suk...People, Places?

OliverKlozerof

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Antique restaurant is worth a visit, food standard but not complaints at all. Nice and relaxed and have a few tables outside at the side which are good for people watching. Actually stopped there as it had a Hoggarden sign but sadly it was bottled not on tap.

Going back to the previous reply, the hi-so garden is called Oak Valkey used to go as they did Hoggarden on tap there but stopped. The food is awful and really overpriced. If they sorted that out they could have it rammed with Thais as it's been decked out with no expense spared shame really.

That's Oak Valley Wine Bar on 101/1 right? Yeah, have to agree it's an odd place. Beautiful huge garden setting but pretentious and oddly uptight in that hi-so way. Probably they don't want farang there anyway. That is always my sense of it anyway. Never ate there because the prices were off the charts.

Hello Again Gang.

Loox like we are going posh in our neck of the woods! Unbelievable.

Woz at Bangkok Bank on Udom Suk just now and noticed a sign saying pizza and pasta about 20m away.

Strolled down to find a swanky Italian restaurant called Amonte. It's beautifully designed but unfortunately was not open so I couldn't chk the menu. Opens at 5pm.

Anybody been there as the only comments I can find are in Thai?

Cheers.

Never been an Italian on Udom Suk only one I can think of is on your left heading down from Suk road. Has a darkish grey decor and sits above eye level. That sound familiar? Does look swanky so I'm sure it's the same one and love to hear if someone has been.

I have been Casa Pasta on 101/1, pizzas are not great but the Mrs did have a nice piece of sea bass. The also have a shop on Prewit Lae Phuean next to the Log Condo.

Actually talking of Casa Pasta on 101/1 the noodle shop next door does by far the best boat noodles about, fried rice with stewed pork is also great for a cheap and quick alternative.

• 2 months later...

Been wanting to get back here...

One or two people have mentioned Big Burger, quite a ways down 101/1. I guess first couple times I was not so impressed. Anyway, eventually I met Stanley, the owner, who asked how I thought the food was. They did have a veggie omelet on the (extensive, but mostly unhealthy) menu, but it was quite pathetic. He asked what I'd like to see instead. I described it and we ended up designing a super veggie omelet which he said he'd put on the menu for me! Well, I've yet to see it on the menu, but the staff there already know about it and make it for me when I go there. It contains green, red and yellow bell pepper, mushrooms, onions. (And Stanley said some day it may even have spinach.) Plus, instead of the pitiful white toast, the add two thick slices of locally made rye bread with butter. It took a couple times for them to get it down, but now it's usually great (depends a bit on who's cooking that day). So, I'm really happy about that. Very reasonable price, too. (Including coffee, around B130?) Unfortunately, coffee is only instant. Stanley said they just don't get enough people who want it. But maybe he'll get a proper coffee maker in the future anyway.
Another cool place is Tin Presso, also down 101/1. It's a bit hard to find the first time. You have to take a left off the main road just a bit after the market area. It's just a few feet down a gated residential street. Just been there once, but very nice young Thai owner who learned about espresso when he was studying (graphics?) in Australia. (So, his English is pretty good, and he's very farang friendly.) The tables are made of tin, thus the name. I had an excellent cappuccino there with a beautiful design that he made on top of it. (Actually, I've never been into the designed topping, but his was quite exceptional.)
Oh--one more. Just yesterday I was coming back to Udom Suk on a bus from Bangna area and noticed...if you walk past Udom Suk station heading toward Bangna...you go past a couple nice bicycle shops...then a little further, on the left is a Turkish kebab/shwarma (whatever you call it) shop. Looked like something definitely worth checking out!

Oh--one more. Just yesterday I was coming back to Udom Suk on a bus from Bangna area and noticed...if you walk past Udom Suk station heading toward Bangna...you go past a couple nice bicycle shops...then a little further, on the left is a Turkish kebab/shwarma (whatever you call it) shop. Looked like something definitely worth checking out!

Actually made a mistake here...this shop (called Kebap Co.), is *before* the bicycle shops, not after. ;-)

Actually made a mistake here...this shop (called Kebap Co.), is *before* the bicycle shops, not after. ;-)

It was good, but has been closed for over a month.

Do you know if it has re-opened?

Went in to 101 Restaurant the other day and asked if they could make a veggie omelet. (I actually typed out basic instructions in Thai and English, in case they were clueless). After talking with the waitress (who spoke no English; I speak very basic Thai, but the Talking Thai app on my phone works wonders), who then spoke with the cook, they said yes, they could make it. But when I asked how much, they said B240 (with coffee and toast). I can get the same in Nana for (including small tip), B140, so I declined. Cool spot, with nice yard (UK: garden), in back. But a bit expensive for me. Baan Chang restaurant, just 3 minutes from my apartment, has American breakfast (2 eggs, bacon, toast, coffee), for just B85. But they don't do omelets.

Agree that's a bit expensive. But besides that I highly recommend 101 restaurant. If you take the normal menu the food is excellent and good priced. Bangers and mash. Beef stew. Schnitzel etc etc al very good quality price wise.

I'm looking for mexican, Indian, Arabic kinds of restaurant in the udom suk area but so far no luck.

I can confirm it is still closed.

Ate a kebab/wrap there once and I thought it was awful actually, maybe just a bad day.

Edited by Xriz

Ate a kebab/wrap there once and I thought it was awful actually, maybe just a bad day.

My first post mentioning the kebab/burger shop was Dec. 5 (the day I noticed it from the bus). Then I went to look closer 2 days later (Dec. 7), and posted my correction about it being *before* the bike shops. That day it *was* open. A guy was sitting in front of the shop looking at his phone, but when he saw me he went inside in case I wanted something. I didn't feel like a sandwich that day, so didn't try anything. It was definitely open, but looked rather lonely. That was actually fairly late, 8:30-9pm, I think. I went back a day or 2 later wanting to try something, even earlier (~7pm?), and it was closed. So, not quite sure what's going on there. Will go by again sometime....

My first post mentioning the kebab/burger shop was Dec. 5 (the day I noticed it from the bus). Then I went to look closer 2 days later (Dec. 7), and posted my correction about it being *before* the bike shops. That day it *was* open. A guy was sitting in front of the shop looking at his phone, but when he saw me he went inside in case I wanted something. I didn't feel like a sandwich that day, so didn't try anything. It was definitely open, but looked rather lonely. That was actually fairly late, 8:30-9pm, I think. I went back a day or 2 later wanting to try something, even earlier (~7pm?), and it was closed. So, not quite sure what's going on there. Will go by again sometime....

Just found this on tripadvisor about Kebap Co. Looks like they also have an outlet in a food court somewhere. Two people were very disappointed, one very happy. Go figure!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d8377039-Reviews-Kebap_Company-Bangkok.html

• 1 month later...

Good news: A few weeks ago I finally went back to 101 Restaurant (on left walking up 101/1 from Sukhumvit) and found the owner, Manuel (I think that's his name), from Holland, in. He said they could make me a veggie omelet for (as I recall) B120 (plus B60 for good quality brewed coffee. And man, did they do a nice job on the omelet:

http://bangkokmac.com/-misc/101VeggieOmelet.jpg

Unfortunately, he said he hopes to sell the place pretty soon. But he assured me I'd still be able to get the omelet. (Hope so.)

BTW, Kebap Co. has a sign on its door, 'Re-opening Soon,' and says they are looking for staff now. Been that way for a couple weeks now though, so who knows....

Also...I was riding down Soi Udom Suk (103), the other day and noticed the big outdoor buffett, Ginza (mentioned above), was shut down.

That day I continued further down and finally ended up on the left at a popular little 'ba mi moo dang' (thin egg noodle with red pork) shop. Would have been good if they hadn't thrown way too much sugar into it! Disappointing.

Across the street from it is a Japanese restaurant. I started to order sushi in there but got pissed off at their 'system.' I asked 'you sell sushi by the piece or is the price for two?' She said the price was just for one piece (which seems ridiculous to me). I was still going to order, but not as much. Then she said, 'We have special promotion.' (As if I had to guess.) 'We have 50% off on all sushi.' Of course, that means that now you could effectively get two pieces of sushi for the price printed in the menu. So I left. ;-)

Made it to Amonte Italian restaurant down Sukhumvit Soi 103 (Soi Udom Suk) about a week ago. It look like the owner had several friend post 'glowing' reviews on Trip Advisor for him. Though the place is big, clean, sharp, the sausage mushroom in tomato sauce pasta I ordered had no flavor. They did allow me to taste a Merlot fro Chile before ordering a glass (after the waitress checked with her boss). It was barely drinkable, but I went ahead and had it anyway. Also, prices were "plus plus," so not that cheap. But maybe all Italian places in town do that?

On the other hand, a bit out of the Udom Suk area, but not too far, there's a really great little Italian place called T's Cafe, run by a real Italian guy named Giambi on Sukhumvit Soi 60 (between On Nut and Bangchak, but closer to Bangchak). Again, I've had sausage/tomato sauce spaghetti there that is mouth watering. And price is not that much more than Amonte. Plus, Giambi's a real nice guy. (Unfortunately, his wine-by-the-glass red was no better than Amonte's.) Having lived in the SF Bay area and visited Napa, Sanoma wineries, sorry, but I can't drink bad wine any more. ;-)

Edited by OliverKlozerof

Ginza's replacement may be the new place that has opened up 10 m from Suk 70/1.

395b for all u can eat seafood and drink beer, in 2 hours. Not eaten there yet, but the open setting loox good and it's full of Thais which should be a good recommendation.

Mentioned Amonte before and glad I never went there after the above review.

Out of the area, but if you want an excellent, great value Italian, google Lido. Think the name of the Soi is Siri Bhumpken, or summat like that. It's near Lumphini park, has a huge menu, and you'd be pushed to spend 2k between 2 ppl, including drinks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have just moved temporarily to Udom Suk as well. Right off Soi Udom Suk. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a health food store or anyplace I can buy some coconut oil. I've been searching online and I went to Mega bagna the other day but I don't like big malls unless I really need something. I'd like to know if I can get it closer to home (walking distance).

I appreciate any help. Thank you so much :)

Mica

You can buy coconut oil in any supermarket like Tops , Tesco etc. From my memory I think there is a Tops near Sukhumvit soi 101/1, Piyarom Sport club

Edited by balo

Thanks for your reply! I wish I had asked before I made the trek over to the Mega Bagna. That was pure torture. Or maybe I just had the wrong shoes on. But 5 hours at the mall in search of it......And turns out I can walk 10 minutes directly up the road and find what I need! It took me a 100 baht taxi ride back from Mega Bagna because I had so many food bags I couldn't take the free shuttle. I forgot Tops is cheaper than Big C. WAYYYY cheaper. I feel cheated when I looked at the prices of some of the spices I bought at Big C. When did they get so expensive!
Thank you so very much. Everything that I needed and wanted is at Tops. Even things I couldn't find at the Big C mega ( like a particular brand of muesli I love) I found it here at tops! I always have lived in Chiang Mai and I used to go to the Rimping but there is no Rimping here.

I'm so happy. This made my week. Thank you again for taking the time to write something so simple to you, but for me, it helped me out so much. And now I have my coconut oil! Sawadee Ka!

It's not really a coffee shop or what you were asking about, but I highly recommend the float centre near Udom Suk along the rd to Mega. Imagine the best massage you've ever had, then double it. That's how relaxing and nice it is in there. It's expensive but i recommend it at least once, it's a unique experience.

It's not really a coffee shop or what you were asking about, but I highly recommend the float centre near Udom Suk along the rd to Mega. Imagine the best massage you've ever had, then double it. That's how relaxing and nice it is in there. It's expensive but i recommend it at least once, it's a unique experience.

Best massage I ever had was 200 baht. Price on their site is 1600 for first time only. I still believe you though and might consider it.

Dave,

If you go down Sukhumvit 101/1 about 100 meters or so on the left there is a restaurant called 101 Restaurant, nice place and a friendly expat owner.

https://www.facebook.com/101-Restaurant-Bangkok-541901112579464/?ref=bookmarks

If you go down Udomsuk Road (sukhumvit 103) a few kms down on the left is a great Thai place called '55 Udomsuk' Great for beers, Thai food and a bit of music. Across the road are a few more local bars worth checking out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fifty-Five-55-Udomsuk/420460917967914?fref=ts

Another good place you should check out is the Talad Rot Fai (Srinakarin Train Market) which is behind Seacon Square on Srinakarin.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Srinakarin+train+market/@13.6925518,100.6477726,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x311d6071a8879223:0xb56b2010a7ec1e50?hl=en

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293916-d4322781-Reviews-Train_night_market-Bangkok.html#REVIEWS

There is a lot more out this way so you should enjoy living this way.

The Drum Korean restaurant, just a little bit past where Ginza used to be on Udomsuk (you can still park in the old Ginza area), is excellent and very good value. Run by Koreans and a lot of Koreans eating there which is probably a good recommendation. We eat there a couple of times a month.

I would also recommend The Glassroom in the little group of shops around the green a couple of hundred metres on the left into 101/1, just past 101 Restaurant.

https://www.facebook.com/DaGlassRoom/?fref=ts

The ice cream shop there is great too: https://www.facebook.com/itimsnowflake101.1/?fref=ts

Edited by KhaoNiaw

If you go down Udomsuk Road (sukhumvit 103) a few kms down on the left is a great Thai place called '55 Udomsuk' Great for beers, Thai food and a bit of music. Across the road are a few more local bars worth checking out.

Unfortunately the one across the road, the legend that was Show Room has just closed down. A fantastic 'after hours' place that will be sorely missed.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

Unfortunately the one across the road, the legend that was Show Room has just closed down. A fantastic 'after hours' place that will be sorely missed.

Bummer. I had some good nights drinking with the locals down there, although it has been a while.