What was that?

Seastallion

I was just about to go to bed....I was on the balcony having a final ciggie....and an animal ran/skuttled/crept/trotted/slowly scampered past, down the soi towards the swamp at the end.

I'm pretty good with natural history....but I don't know what this was.

It was bigger than an average cat.

It looked like a giant rat, except it's tail was thicker and fur-covered, and it's legs were stockier and longer. I think otter, but the tail wasn't that thick, and this animal's gait was different.

It was sleek...again, otter-like.

Very pointy face...otter-like.

I'll do a google, but if anyone knows, that would be cool.

Try a mongoose....................wink.png

attachicon.gifCrab-eating_Mongoose.jpg

attachicon.gifhqdefault.jpg

Where are you in Thailand?

Much much bigger than a mongoose.

I'm in Hatyai.

There is a klong about 1 km away, and the swamp is quite big....probably 5 acres. But the area is quite urban aside from the swamp...which is quite a dry swamp during the dry. only a few stagnant pools here and there. There are eels and crabs in the swamp.

Hi Seastallion, , I would like to know what you are smoking before retiring? biggrin.pngcheesy.gif sorry

Your guess is as good as anyone else's. wink.png .

But inferences aside....I was not halucinating. I did not think it was an otter because I did not know that otters exist in Thailand....but I was so intrigued, I put-off going to bed and came downstairs to start the OP.

I am now convinced it was an otter.

The neighbours must have discussed it, because they all believe it now.

Many years ago, Kipling's Rikki Tikki Tavi was one of the books for my English Matric. I have always loved the story. If you have big, horrid snakes around Rikki will fix the problem for you (if it's a mongoose).

Rikki Tiki Tavi was a favourite of mine...when I was 6. I can still recall the drawing of Rikki and the cobra.

Matriculation material?

Guys, it was definitely not a mongoose. I know mongooses well.

Could it be a back-striped weasel? I know their habitat does not typically extend to Hat Yai. However, I've seen something very similar to what you describe up here in Chiang Rai. To me it looked a lot like a weasel and a google search indicated it was likely a back-striped weasel, as their habitat (barely) seems to include the very northern part of Thailand. Perhaps they are down there too? Before you say "no way", from the wikipedia page: "Little has been recorded of this weasel's habitats and habits. It has been found in a wide variety of habitats, and it is not yet possible to define its habitat needs." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-striped_weasel

220px-Mustela_strigidorsa.gif

Could it be a back-striped weasel? I know their habitat does not typically extend to Hat Yai. However, I've seen something very similar to what you describe up here in Chiang Rai. To me it looked a lot like a weasel and a google search indicated it was likely a back-striped weasel, as their habitat (barely) seems to include the very northern part of Thailand. Perhaps they are down there too? Before you say "no way", from the wikipedia page: "Little has been recorded of this weasel's habitats and habits. It has been found in a wide variety of habitats, and it is not yet possible to define its habitat needs." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-striped_weasel

220px-Mustela_strigidorsa.gif

That actually looks more like it as the tail is not as thick.....but weasels are much smaller than what I saw. This was bigger than a cat, body plus tail I estimate was 70 to 80 cm.