Erawan national park dethrones Khao Yai as Thailand's top national park

webfact

Erawan national park dethrones Khao Yai as the country's top national park

IMGP1113-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KANCHANABURI: -- Erawan national park in Kanchanaburi has replaced Khao Yai national park as this year’s top tourist destination out of a total of 147 national parks across the country.

According to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants, Erawan national park had dethroned Khao Yai which retained the top spot for 30 years running in terms of tourist visits and earnings.

Erawan national park chief Mr Porayut Waiwong disclosed that for the past ten months since last October the park had received 76 million baht in entrance fees or an average of seven million baht a month. He said that even if he is not a native of Kanchanaburi, he and his staff had tried their best to do their job for the sake of Kanchanaburi province.

Mr Cherdchai Jariyapanya, director of Zone 3 Conserved Area Management Office, praised the staff of Erawan national park for a job well done. He pointed out that Erawan national park has the potentials to be a popular tourist destination because of its natural beauty, unspoiled environment, easily accessible, close to Bangkok and with all-year-round waterfalls.

Another national park in Kanchanaburi, Srinakarind national park, was also ranked No 20 in a list of popular national parks. The park collected about ten million baht in entrance fees for the past ten months.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/erawan-national-park-dethrones-khao-yai-as-the-countrys-top-national-park

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-11

When we went there I got the Thai price with my Thai Driver's License, but that was a couple of years ago. They also have a place to hold your dog if you have one. It's a fantastic park and well worth hiking to all the falls. Come dressed to swim, because you will want to take a dip or two in the water. Very, very beautiful.

The only park I could not get the Thai price at with my Thai driver's license was a national park about 60k outside Hua Hin...really ticked me off. If we hadn't come so far and had friends with us I might have turned around and gone home.

I was at the emerald falls near Kao Yai last year and that park looks the same as this pic. I didn't have to pay iirc and it was great. Unfortunately i forgot my swimgear.

Funny to see the Thai in lifevests, when will they learn how to swim?? In my country everybody older then 7 can swim.

I have been to both parks, Erawan just last week. The big attraction at Erawan NP is the 7 falls. We camped in the park so got up early to visit the falls before the busloads of tourists arrived but by 10 am the falls were swamped with mainly foreign tourists. And this was a weekday.

He said that even if he is not a native of Kanchanaburi, he and his staff had tried their best to do their job for the sake of Kanchanaburi province.

Well that's jolly decent of him being the boss and all that.