Baby car seat

Suhastar

I am entering parenthood real soon and was hoping to get some ideas for car seat available in Thailand. First of I am on budget, so would appreciate anything that is cheaper. Second of all, I want a car seat which is going to fit at least 0-3 years.

Having said that, since it's my first baby I am assuming I will need a stroller, sling, crib etc. as well. Those I can chose. But the country I am from we never really use car seat and I have zero idea how to chose it. Since here we don't have much help at home I am assuming I will take my child out whenever I do. So please suggest. Btw we don't plan to travel for first 4 months. At least not long distance, may be to nearby malls or grocery etc.

Edited by Suhastar

Plenty of places you can by baby stuff mate check out big malls central festival etc. All I would say is even though you may be on a budget never skimp on your child's safety. If you are really hard up at least buy the very best you can afford.

Have a look at the premium outlet factory stores...we bought most baby utensils there for a reasonable price(2-3 times cheaper than shopping malls) as for a car seat try to get one which you can use as a stroller as well...hope you have an appropriate medical insurance for your wife when she delivers it can get bloody expensive...good luck

Firstly, let me say that it doesn't matter if you are not travelling far...all safety devices should be used for Baby.

When wifey and I moved here from NZ where it is compulsory to use child car seats, we bought one for her friend who had just had a baby.

A year later.....well, let me just say that I know of an unused child car seat (cum carry crib) that might be for sale.

PM me.

I have one that we've just finished with.

Cost 3,500b I think.

Will sell for 1,600b. Can pick up at my house in Don Muang, BKK. smile.png Can send pics etc if you want, just PM me. smile.png

Edit:

We also have a baby pouch/carrier thing, that straps onto your body and you walk around the place with them inside. Not sure of the correct term. It was bought in the UK and brought to Thailand.

Say 2.5k baht for both, collected from our house near Don Muang, can send pics of both via PM if you wish. :)

Edited by DLang

We bought a nice car seat and stroller combination set in the Zen department store in Central World. I don't remember the exact cost but I can't imagine we spent 15k on that since it was a mid-range brand, Cool Kids, I'm guessing less than half that, maybe 6000 or so.

One consideration is that you can't really use the same car seat for a newborn as for a two year-old. The child is a completely different size. Young babies need to lay down, and an older child wouldn't even if they could fit in the smaller space, which they won't.

Another concern is quality. We bought an inexpensive (Tesco-brand) newborn car-seat for our first child and it was probably safe but better we never tested that out in a crash since one part broke through normal use. There are higher quality brands than the one we bought, Japanese imports made to a higher standard, but you would end up spending 30,000 on the one seat and a stroller, or maybe even a good bit more.

The option of clipping the car-seat portion onto the stroller is nice, since the same concerns come up related to using a stroller for a newborn, but really that first half a year goes fast, and it's better to not travel too much then anyway, so it doesn't matter so much.

post-94228-0-36977100-1439287135_thumb.j

Krisb somehow I never find the right forum and end up in general one every time :(

You've been moved to motoring already.

Anyway on a serious note buying a quality car seat is important and although you can save, make sure you get something that has some type of recognized safety stickers on it. In Australia you can buy cheapies, but they're still Australian standards which is high. The main differences I saw was usually just betting cushioning and patterned material.

Anyway good luck and congratulations on becoming a dad!