Thai Ministry list of 'farang forbidden jobs' is a barrel of laughs

webfact

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes even at the top they need Google translate to do their job.

Yes sir, I can translate these rules into English. As you know, I studied English at university and was the top of my class = I can use Google Translate

Direct your mirth at Google Translate or Bing.

It should not be humour directed towards the Ministry, but pity. No English speakers in the office? I can hardly credit that. The pity is that the boss that approved the promulgation could not condescend to ask advice from a subservient.

Mind you, to be fair...if you are not bilingual you would not know that these online translators are atrocious.

Farangs certainly should learn that this town is Pattaya 'patty ya' not ' pa ty ya' or other nonsense as spoken by farangs selling real estate on TV. Should be forbidden if you don't know where you live.

พัทยา is properly transliterated as pa´-ta´~yaa (high tones on pa and ta).

But you wouldn't know that unless you could actually read Thai. No "Patty" in พัทยา.

Feel free to consult Google Maps to determine where you live.

Edited by timendres

It should not be humour directed towards the Ministry, but pity. No English speakers in the office? I can hardly credit that. The pity is that the boss that approved the promulgation could not condescend to ask advice from a subservient.

Mind you, to be fair...if you are not bilingual you would not know that these online translators are atrocious.

Farangs certainly should learn that this town is Pattaya 'patty ya' not ' pa ty ya' or other nonsense as spoken by farangs selling real estate on TV. Should be forbidden if you don't know where you live.

OK. Point taken. But surely you have indicated the problem in the very sentence you have written. You are saying that the phonetically correct pronunciation is PATTY YA. Then surely if the "job" had been done properly in the first place. (i.e. English phonetic translations of place names etc done by a competent Thai Bilingual Translator sitting face to face with a similar English speaking person. Both listening and watching mouth formation of the words.) Much of the problem would not exist.

I am annoyed by the constant insistence of putting an "H" after the letter "T" (Thailand. Nonthaburi. Thong Lo.etc.)

Speaking of Thong Lo. - It is actually pronounced by Thai speakers as TONG LAW or at least TONG LOR.

TIT (Or should it be THIT - or S......... I won't go there.)

Don't know why I live in Thailand really.

If it wasn't for the weather and the Food and the Temples ...............

(Don't try and <deleted> analyse them)

An post violating forum rules has been removed from view, along with associated replies.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation

Here is the list.

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347

I'm particularly gutted by no. 21. (the card) I've always been a bit of a card.

I didn't know no. 23 (Job Buddha) was based in Thailand nor up for grabs. I would have thought non-Thais could do that elsewhere, though.

No. 18 (Lghn a job) baffles me completely but I suspect it's what the compiler of this list does.

Oh no, look at what ThaiVisa have done.

We've embarrassed the Labour Ministry to take down the English webpage - well done everyone!

(it was OK 15 minutes ago, but now has gone)

This proves my suspicion that TVForums are actively monitored by planted Govt agents!

MinLabourJobs.JPG

Lol. Did you think that NSA and GSHQ have an everlasting monopoly? Edited by micmichd

I see from your previous posts you are from the USA, can you tell me how to pronounce this word please, ALUMINIUM?

We pronounce it the correct way, of course, "aluminum" :-D

I see from your previous posts you are from the USA, can you tell me how to pronounce this word please, ALUMINIUM?

Yanks call things that boats use as BOOIES, as in "Boo" too make People Jump. Weird Lot.

For your information, Aluminium can also be spelled and pronounced aluminum depending on which country a person is from. There is such a thing as American English.

Let's not forget how the British screwed up the spelling of Island.

Anyone care for a fag?

Your bird is really sexy.

Put the grocieries in the boot.

Maybe, but there will never be such a thing as English American. whistling.gif

I'm an Aussie and I much prefer the way the Poms man-handle the language. The Yanks just dee-stroy it.

Sorry... us 'Yanks' perfected it... among SO MUCH ELSE!!! 'Murica (go ahead... feed the troll!)

Murica ! cheesy.gif

That reminds me of that classic movie, "Team America".............................Murica ! F&&K YEAH !!!

Yanks call things that boats use as BOOIES, as in "Boo" too make People Jump. Weird Lot.

It's buoy... because they are buoyant.

This translation, proof reading thing in English is another one of the Thais hangups.

Even many very large business leaders here feel loss of face to ask a Farang to translate

or proof read a particular document ,advertising logo/ad or instruction leaflet

In Malaysia & (or) Indonesia for example they will send for proofreading BEFORE printing.

I know, because they come to me.

Silly, but true, which is another small reason why the country is being held back from competing.

English competence is miles behind many other SEA countries even without this loss of face thing

You Thai minister spea englit vely goo ! Which university did you go to? And these people control a country??

The ability to speak English well isn't an enabler for increasing your ability to control a country. Just look at Cameron, Abbot and Obama.

Edited by Baerboxer

You Thai minister spea englit vely goo ! Which university did you go to? And these people control a country??

The ability to speak English well isn't an enabler for increasing your ability to control a country. Just look at Cameron, Abbot and Obama.

Cameron speaks English, Abbot speaks Orstraliun, and Obama speaks Umairikan !

I was just thinking, we all make fun of the way Thais translate Thai into English, how it comes out all wrong. But when a story is published on TVF there is a good chance it was translated from Thai to English and some posters swallow it whole, without once considering that the original meaning, or intent, was lost in translation.

Some of the statements that come out of the government, the PTP, and the redshirts camp, are surely not how they were originally meant to be.