Must leave country?

To keep it simple,

a friend usually has 1 year extensions based on marriage. This year approaching the end of a 1 year extension he had to go to his home country (bereavement) but was given an extra 60 days extension based on the mitigating circumstance. The 60 day extension ends soon, he is back in L.O.S and he believed he would be able to then continue his normal 1 year extensions by showing the relevant documents and cash in bank etc. However, today he received a call from immigration saying that when the 60 days ends he must leave the country and apply for a new visa. Does this information sound correct? Or is there any way to continue the yearly extension without leaving the country?

many thanks,

Tdm

Normally the one year extension can be applied for after the 60 day extension as long as it was an extension of one he already had or a non-o visa entry.

Perhaps they noticed that he had already gotten a 60 day extension before on the entry he has been extending.

I assume he got a re-entry permit for the 60 day extension before he left the country.

• Like 1

"However, today he received a call from immigration saying that when the 60 days ends he must leave the country and apply for a new visa. Does this information sound correct?"

​Yes it does if he didn't get a re-entry permit for his trip abroad. He will need to get a new visa a start the extension process over.

Normally the one year extension can be applied for after the 60 day extension as long as it was an extension of one he already had or a non-o visa entry.

Perhaps they noticed that he had already gotten a 60 day extension before on the entry he has been extending.

I assume he got a re-entry permit for the 60 day extension before he left the country.

Thanks a lot ubonjoe, I'll need to confirm those points with him.

If i've understood correctly, you can have the 60 day extension on a yearly extension of a non o visa entry only 2 times, at which point you have to leave and get a new visa.

If you've had the 60 day extension only once but forgot to get the re entry permit then you have to leave the country and obtain a new visa.

If you've had the 60 day extension only once and you did obtain your re entry permit then you should be able to get a new yearly extension without leaving the country by providing relevant documents and financial proof.

tdm

Thanks a lot ubonjoe, I'll need to confirm those points with him.

If i've understood correctly, you can have the 60 day extension on a yearly extension of a non o visa entry only 2 times, at which point you have to leave and get a new visa.

If you've had the 60 day extension only once but forgot to get the re entry permit then you have to leave the country and obtain a new visa.

If you've had the 60 day extension only once and you did obtain your re entry permit then you should be able to get a new yearly extension without leaving the country by providing relevant documents and financial proof.

tdm

Only one 60 day extension can be done per entry. If he got one before on the entry he has been extending the one he got was truly not valid and would be noticed by the regional office when it goes to them for approval. This has happened before.

If he did not get a re-entry permit for the 60 day extension he only got a visa exempt entry when he entered the country and has no entry that he can extended..