They don't make 'em like they used to (search for good toaster)

giddyup

This story is probably irrelevant, but I'll tell it anyway. When I first moved into my house in Australia, I had limited finances with which to furnish and buy kitchen utensils etc, so I tended to frequent the auctions looking for bargains. One of the things I bought ($5 from memory) was a secondhand Sunbeam Toastamatic toaster, without a lie, that toaster was still working faultlessly 25 years later, and I actually passed it on to a friend, who tells me it's still going strong, now more than 30 years old!

So, what model do I buy in Thailand that will last at least a couple of years? I've been here nearly 6 years and had 4 toasters in that time, and it's not like they get a lot of use. Probably have toast 3 or 4 times a week. I'm sure there are 5000 baht toasters that will give a good run, maybe, but I'm happy to spend a 1000 baht. So what is recommended?

post-130068-0-72110700-1439350489_thumb.

Edited by giddyup

Although do not use that much (grandchildren are the toast eaters) bought this model several years ago and seems to be well made and working fine.

http://www.lazada.co.th/philips-hd2630-248885.html

philips-hd-263040_963373710.jpg

Unfortunately, only a two-slicer, I want a four-slicer, guess I should have mentioned that. I will have a look at the Philips toaster range though.

Whichever way you look at it, the guarantee will expire when you leave the store you purchase the toaster from.

And from experience, the lasting power of all kitchen electricals is very limited. Why ? Because Cheap ! Cheap ! Cheap !

Thai mentality. Buy cheap Sell cheap. Replace often.

If you buy from a local store eg. Big C, make sure you get one with a plastic body. I bought one several years ago and when I got it home and tried it I got my fingers burned on the metal body which was obviously not insulated.

The one I have now (Princess) has a metal body, never been burned by it, but the centre elements burned out, so will only toast one side.

I have given up on all Thai small home appliances. You can either pay next to nothing for junk or extremely high prices for imported ones. Now buy all my small appliances on my frequent trips to Oz. Have found Breville to be the best value even though made in China.

Even the cheap K-Mart home brand appliances appear to be way better than the cheap Thai ones and are similar priced. Non stick electric fry pan with glass lid about 750 Baht.

I think the lack of any real consumer protection here influences the retailers. Profit first and bugger the reliability or safety.

I have given up on all Thai small home appliances. You can either pay next to nothing for junk or extremely high prices for imported ones. Now buy all my small appliances on my frequent trips to Oz. Have found Breville to be the best value even though made in China.

Even the cheap K-Mart home brand appliances appear to be way better than the cheap Thai ones and are similar priced. Non stick electric fry pan with glass lid about 750 Baht.

I think the lack of any real consumer protection here influences the retailers. Profit first and bugger the reliability or safety.

I'm sure you are right, but unless I make a trip back to Oz specifically to buy a toaster, I'm stuck with buying one here. Haven't been back in 6 years and can't see any reason to in the future.

I'm sure you are right, but unless I make a trip back to Oz specifically to buy a toaster, I'm stuck with buying one here. Haven't been back in 6 years and can't see any reason to in the future.

Why not ask a fellow Aussie friend that does go back. I quite often bring back that sort of thing for friends. Last trip it was one of those Breville sandwich press type toasters like they use in cafes.

Why not ask a fellow Aussie friend that does go back. I quite often bring back that sort of thing for friends. Last trip it was one of those Breville sandwich press type toasters like they use in cafes.

A jar of Vegemite, yes. A 4 slice toaster, no.

After checking, Homeworks, HomePro, Index, Big C and Tesco, I eventually bought an Electrolux 2 slicer from Numchai for 890 baht. The selection of 4 slice toasters was almost non-existent.

I've had one of those white 2 slicers pretty much the cheapest one from big c, also a sandwich maker. 200 baht or less and lasted 3 years. I see you've already bought one, but there's not much that can go wrong with a toaster I think.

Really only one thing. The elements burn out, and that has happened to every one I've owned in Thailand. They just aren't made to last. I'd say you were pretty lucky to get three years out of a 200 baht toaster.

I've had one of those white 2 slicers pretty much the cheapest one from big c, also a sandwich maker. 200 baht or less and lasted 3 years. I see you've already bought one, but there's not much that can go wrong with a toaster I think.

Really only one thing. The elements burn out, and that has happened to every one I've owned in Thailand. They just aren't made to last. I'd say you were pretty lucky to get three years out of a 200 baht toaster.

Be sure you unplug your new toaster when not in use.

Why's that?

Perhaps because crumbs may attract. And they do not play well with electric. That said have never unplugged myself and no unexplained trips of Safety-Cut

house-gecko-for-sale.jpg

Never unplugged a toaster in the 6 years I've been here, and never had a jingjok elecrocuted either.

Sadly poor products can be found everywhere.

In the US at the moment & my coffee pot happened to quit after 10+ years & I happened to mention that I need a new one, right about a day or two before my birthday in the presence of my 82 year old Aunt, so she got me a coffee maker.

It lasted a whopping month and quit. She had an ancient percolator that she said she bought before my uncle died in 1983, and gave it to me. It works like a champ!

Why's that?
This is not Australia, we live in the land of substandard electrical wiring, ungrounded outlets, lightning strikes, power surges and outages. Don't you use a surge protector for your expensive electronics (tv's, computers, etc.)? Edited by ThaiBob

This is not Australia, we live in the land of substandard electrical wiring, ungrounded outlets, lightning strikes, power surges and outages. Don't you use a surge protector for your expensive electronics (tv's, computers, etc.)?

So, should I unplug the microwave, electric jug, TV (2), stereo (2), computer, printer, washing machine, fans (4), aircons (3), and fridges (2) as well I suppose? Seems like a full-time job. Not saying it can't happen, but in 6 years never lost an electric appliance because of a surge, and I don't have surge protectors.

Edited by giddyup

This is not Australia, we live in the land of substandard electrical wiring, ungrounded outlets, lightning strikes, power surges and outages. Don't you use a surge protector for your expensive electronics (tv's, computers, etc.)?

So, should I unplug the microwave, electric jug, TV, stereo, computer, printer, washing machine, fans, aircons, and fridge as well I suppose? Seems like a full-time job.

Hello, surge protector, surge protector, surge protector. You are saying you don't have one for your TV, computer? A friend living at vt5 has just replaced his computer because of voltage surges (he had no protector and now is out 70,000 baht). Use protection for your big ticket items and unplug or use surge protectors for your small appliances. I unplug the toaster, rice maker and coffee pot when not in use. Surge protectors are cheap, available everywhere and good insurance.

So, should I unplug the microwave, electric jug, TV, stereo, computer, printer, washing machine, fans, aircons, and fridge as well I suppose? Seems like a full-time job.

Hello, surge protector, surge protector, surge protector. You are saying you don't have one for your TV, computer? A friend living at vt5 has just replaced his computer because of voltage surges (he had no protector and now is out 70,000 baht). Use protection for your big ticket items and unplug or use surge protectors for your small appliances. I unplug the toaster, rice maker and coffee pot when not in use. Surge protectors are cheap, available everywhere and good insurance.

Like I said, 6 years and never lost an appliance to a surge yet. If I do, I'll let you be the first to say I told you so.thumbsup.gif