Proof of income for marriage extension - is this a new policy?

Attended Kapchoeng immigration recently to apply for an extension based on marriage (9th time).

I have never had any problems and over the last 4 years have always used the 40k per month income method as i rarely have 400k in my thai bank. As usual I had a letter from my embassy and paperwork from my old employer showing a pension of more than 55k a month. I even had a tax return which showed my previous years income and one of the docs even has part of my thai bank account number clearly displayed as the account into which my pension is paid. The officer didn't even look at the embassy letter and would not listen to any reason or discuss the matter.

I was informed that I this is no longer enough I must provide an updated thai bank passbook showing that the pension is paid in every month.

This will not be a problem as it is paid in monthly but i only update my book when i feel like it so having now done so it shows the last two months payments arriving but just shows a total for transactions in and out over the previous 6 months.

When I return to try again I am sure it will cause confusion and need some explaining.

I am well aware that they can ask for whatever documents they like and can understand that the bank book may by some be considered a reasonable request in view of those who just get letters from very helpful embassies declaring false incomes. However some warning of the change or at least - it will start from your next application would be nice. Too much to ask for i guess.

I don't think i will encounter any great problems but I thought it would be helpful for those that may be going to renew soon to be aware this may come up in some offices. May also be a problem for those that don't have pensions paid into Thailand!

If it is now the case that the letter is irrelevant can i just show my bank book every year and save myself the hassle and expense of getting a letter from my embassy. I'm sure if someone attempts this the letter will become a vital requirement again.

• Like 1

That has been reported before about Kap Choeng asking for a bank book.

If you have online banking you could do a print out of all the transactions I can do 6 months with my online banking at Bangkok Bank.

You can also ask the bank to print out the transactions.

what if one prefer keep the money in his home-country's bank account and just withdraw what he needs ... why someone should be obliged to transfer all this money here... isn't that a bit too much to ask? A proof that you have an income is alright... but all of this really stink

what if one prefer keep the money in his home-country's bank account and just withdraw what he needs ... why someone should be obliged to transfer all this money here... isn't that a bit too much to ask? A proof that you have an income is alright... but all of this really stink

If you do not comply with the requirements you will probably not receive an extension of stay.

• Like 1

Where it is said that you need to bring 40000 Thb to Thailand every month?

Only what they say (http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq)

Foreign husband must obtain “Non-Immigrant visa”

Having any proof of relationship; Mariage Certificate,Birth certificate of their children(if any) etc.
Having evidences of nationality of his Thai wife; Thai ID card, her household registration Book.
Having relationship with Thai wife de jure and de facto; Family picture, map of the applicant’s residence in Thailand.
Having evidences of definite financial status of foreign husband by showing average income not less than 40,000 Baht per month or having money in the Thai Bank account of not less than 400,000 Baht which must be held consecutively not shorter than two months