Gap year in Thailand from S'pore: questions...

lavelle17

I am new to this forum, and I apologise if this is not the appropriate sub-forum for me to post my query.

I am a 22 year old Singaporean woman and I am on the verge of graduating from university. My boyfriend and I would like to take a gap year in Thailand upon my graduation, before we head out into the corporate world, and we have decided to rent a villa in either Krabi or Koh Samui. I called up the Thai embassy and they said the visa process should be pretty straightforward since we're citizens of an ASEAN country, so that's a relief.

I am still on the fence as to where I'd like to live for a year - distance is no issue because both locations are a stone's throw from Singapore. I suppose I should factor in the demographics of the places into my decision process. I have already ruled out Phuket because I'm well aware of the stuff that happens in Patong. I know that both Krabi and Koh Sam are popular with white tourists but I reckon different kinds go to different places, and I reckon Koh Sam will be able to offer me what I want, but I'm not too sure. Any tips?

Thanks!

Edited by Rimmer
Inflammatory

I have already ruled out Phuket because I'm well aware of the stuff that happens in Patong

Welcome.

You've already made a wrong assumption, because Phuket isn't just Patong. Suggest you check a map and you'll see that there are many places on Phuket Island that are not Patong.

I've lived in north Phuket for 14 years and have yet to meet an obnoxious 'whitey' in my locality.

Edited by simon43

Honestly why do a whole year in Thailand ? A Gap year is for travelling, travel around even SEA if your worried about travelling further a field

China, HK, Japan, Korea, Indo; Aussie etc so many places all with in 6 to 8 hours on a plane

Honestly why do a whole year in Thailand ? A Gap year is for travelling, travel around even SEA if your worried about travelling further a field

China, HK, Japan, Korea, Indo; Aussie etc so many places all with in 6 to 8 hours on a plane

We do plan to do a fair bit of travelling around Thailand and maybe Cambodia and Laos from our base, but that's about it. I've been to all the countries you mentioned above, multiple times, but I've only ever visited Thailand once so I'd like to spend an extended period of time there. Besides, I want to take this trip slowly and actually savour the experience instead of trying to collect as many passport stamps as possible. I've been thinking of spending 6 months in Krabi and perhaps another 6 months in Koh Samui instead of staying put in one location for the entire year, but I'll have to do more research before I take the plunge.

I don't think Thailand is for you OP. Best stay away.

Why because she has hurt the feelings of a few lilley whites on here ? One of which doesnt even live in Thailand

Funny how TV members can slag off the Thai's but some one starts calling the high and mighty farangs they start getting all upset LOL pathetic

"... our newspapers are replete with stories of the antics of westerners (read = white people) in Thailand, Bali, and even my country Singapore."

Couple of notes here. First of all methinks the OP is straining to write English like a native (oddly enough, these are mostly white). Secondly, OP, if you really are in college, you've got to know that papers write stuff to catch clicks/eyeballs. So which do you think gets a column: "White guy assaults Chinese model, smashes her iPhone and has sex with her French poodle." or "White guy helps little old Chinese lady across the street"?

See my point? Give white guys a chance. It's fashionable to beat up on them but they ain't all bad. Heck, you might even chance upon one who causes you to dump your current skinny, slant-eyed girlyman Singaporean. Dang, I just conformed to white guy stereotype, ah well.

Edited by The Dancer

"... our newspapers are replete with stories of the antics of westerners (read = white people) in Thailand, Bali, and even my country Singapore."

Couple of notes here. First of all methinks the OP is straining to write English like a native (oddly enough, these are mostly white). Secondly, OP, if you really are in college, you've got to know that papers write stuff to catch clicks/eyeballs. So which do you think gets a column: "White guy assaults Chinese model, smashes her iPhone and has sex with her French poodle." or "White guy helps little old Chinese lady across the street"?

See my point? Give white guys a chance. It's fashionable to beat up on them but they ain't all bad. Heck, you might even chance upon one who causes you to dump your current skinny, slant-eyed girlyman Singaporean. Dang, I just conformed to white guy stereotype, ah well.

You just proved me right with your comment. English is actually my first language as is the case with most people from Singapore so you can pull your head out of your ass and stop with the superiority complex. Funny you'd think I'm incapable of speaking english properly just because I'm asian. Maybe it's because I come from a country that's renowned for having a decent education system? Most of us here are trilingual and meanwhile your own kind can't even master their own native language judging from the way they comment on websites like the daily mail. Sort out the rot in your own society before picking on me. I'm happy with my current boyfriend, atleast he's polite and civilised and doesn't go around abusing people just because he's insecure about the size of his own manhood. Can't say the same for you.

Why because she has hurt the feelings of a few lilley whites on here ? One of which doesnt even live in Thailand

Funny how TV members can slag off the Thai's but some one starts calling the high and mighty farangs they start getting all upset LOL pathetic

Thanks for having my back. The deleted comments were delivered to my email address and I didn't expect them to be so vile but I'm not exactly surprised.

I posted an innocent question on this thread and it has degenerated into this just bc a couple of angry white men can't handle the truth. And as for the person above who told me to stay away from Thailand, please don't tell me what to do in my neighbourhood. Thanks.

You just proved me right with your comment. English is actually my first language as is the case with most people from Singapore so you can pull your head out of your ass and stop with the superiority complex. Funny you'd think I'm incapable of speaking english properly just because I'm asian. Maybe it's because I come from a country that's renowned for having a decent education system? Most of us here are trilingual and meanwhile your own kind can't even master their own native language judging from the way they comment on websites like the daily mail. Sort out the rot in your own society before picking on me. I'm happy with my current boyfriend, atleast he's polite and civilised and doesn't go around abusing people just because he's insecure about the size of his own manhood. Can't say the same for you.

Thanks for having my back. The deleted comments were delivered to my email address and I didn't expect them to be so vile but I'm not exactly surprised.

I posted an innocent question on this thread and it has degenerated into this just bc a couple of angry white men can't handle the truth. And as for the person above who told me to stay away from Thailand, please don't tell me what to do in my neighbourhood. Thanks.

I like your attitude...direct and confrontational.....about the angry white men, as how you refer to them, who cannot handle the truth....they have adapted well into thai society.....so keep it up with your directness....enjoy the stay.

Sounds like fun hope you enjoy your stay. Methinks you may have come to the wrong forum however. TV is the mostly the refuge of the angry, the disenchanted, the overly self entitled and the disillusioned colonial minded decrepit ex pat who is dirty on the world and longs for years gone by. You will get some useful info on here but few and far between I'm afraid. More likely to find derision than decent advice. Good luck.

Sounds like fun hope you enjoy your stay. Methinks you may have come to the wrong forum however. TV is the mostly the refuge of the angry, the disenchanted, the overly self entitled and the disillusioned colonial minded decrepit ex pat who is dirty on the world and longs for years gone by. You will get some useful info on here but few and far between I'm afraid. More likely to find derision than decent advice. Good luck.

I think you may just have redirected some of the abuse smile.png

I think you may just have redirected some of the abuse smile.png

555 Bring it on. Reading some of the crap that regularly gets regurgitated on TV by those of whom I have mentioned above makes me truly thankful and also how awesome my life really is. Wouldn't be dead for quids mate.

No…. because I don't want the OP to suffer fury induced cardiac arrest when she gets here. Sleaze and all those unsavoury things she mentioned are, unfortunately, all over Thailand. Anyway, that doesn't matter now since her original inflammatory post has been edited. So welcome to Thailand gap year girl from Singapore. Hope you have a great time.

Maybe try looking for a 3 month rental. I do not know what your finances are, but in three months, you should have enough time to see if you enjoy the location. If yes, stay for a longer term. If not, look for another location in Thailand.

Have fun. You are lucky to be able to take the time to really explore Thailand and the area. :)

Since you intend to stay one year in thailand, do check with SIN embassy about this visa, understand SIN issue tourist visa for 60 days only I may be mistaken..probably need to do extension in thailand...try tripadvisor.com it's more friendly than this forum...