Hotel internet, how to improve ?

axact

Hi,

I am looking for some advice, ideas for improving the wi-fi service offered to guests.

Presently we have 1 internet line which 5 routers are wired (one to the other from what I can see) The site is over 150 meters in length and guests often have to sit on their balconies to get a decent connection.

Any ideas how to improve ? Would a second internet line coming in at the opposite end of the site help ?

We are in Laos and internet is slow and expensive compared with Thailand and tech advice from the telecom companies is, well you can guess..... But they have said for us to get good connection in rooms they could do it for $7000. Thus why I am looking for alternatives.

Connect to the modem/router (assuming you have one) and do a Speedtest to your local hub.

Then connect to the furthest and do it again.

(Preferably when no-one is connected).

If you have decent cables there shouldn't be much difference.

But also consider using better routers (you didn't say what you're using).

These get a great review and are cheap.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Although make sure you get v2 (It will say on the label), since it won't need a firmware update to block the threats reported earlier this year.

Just buy some wifi boosters, they're cheap.

You can also buy an inexpensive gadjet that sends the wifi signal through the electricity system, and allows you to place wifi hubs around.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/390947041025?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&poi=&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I wonder how those network over powerlines perform in Thailand or Laos ? Seeing all those sparks at night it will get a lot of interference.

You could use a few more wifi routers. The ethernet cable should not exceed 100 meters between 2 routers.

You could use directional antennas on the routers if the customers are located on one side of them only.

I installed a cheap vDSL switch in the condo block i was living in about 8 years ago, got 2 - 4 mbit over the in room phone lines, i think it cost $150 for the switch, $20 for the in room modems, all came back to the wet wall where the switch/pbx was located.

Routers going one to the next wont help.

Best results will be a single powerful router connected to your internet connection and then a single cat6 ethernet cable to each remote wireless access point.

Check the wifi channels to minimise interference with each other and neighbours.

No cables over 100m and if needing longer join with a switch or piggyback off one of the access points for the final leg.

Run opensource tomato or ddwrt on the routers and access points for increased flexibility.

High power omni directional antennas typically best for buildings unless you want to fill a single blind spot from a distance then get directional.

Signal boosters are convenient but never good for performance and will struggle if multiple hops.

However all of that is for your internal network which will at best be equal to your main internet connection...hows that when you are plugged in directly by cable? If no good then need to start there.