Down sizing air con and need advice

mcfish

I have a 1 bedroom 75sqm condo in Bangkok with duct aircon x 2. The ceilings are quite low and these units are HUGE and can get to arctic temp in 5 mins it seems (if needed) but the power bill is quite large even though its on the lowest fan speed

Usage: Basically I use only one unit during the day, all day and use a ceiling fan in the bedroom at night. The power bill comes to 6000bht a month !

What Im thinking of doing is mounting one of these. http://www.lazada.co.th/lg-eco-plus-s10dee1-9000btu-air-condition-white-862846.html

LG Eco plus S10D.EE1 9000BTU Air Condition

A bit of research says that it can handle a 35sqm room ok and It would be only needed to blow towards the sofa area. My question is what sort of power consumption am I looking at?Im hoping to try and get the bill down to around 50% or 3000bht

Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated.

Yes 26C is exactly what I set it to. I put "if needed" in brackets just to emphasize how powerful the units are

I had an aircon guy come out a while back who mentioned one of the compressors (tv room) is about 30% gone and I wonder if that would cause a higher power output

30% gone must mean unit is old and and old unit will indeed normally use more power (from day installed - they get better almost every year as sold by how efficient they are).

Suspect 9k is not going to handle 35sm during the heat of day for most people and frankly can not believe any source in Thailand would provide such information. I find it good for 26sm but have temp at 28c and not moving around much. Suspect you will need at least 12k and even that may have issues if sun heating room and you really want cool temps.

As for the model LG I had much trouble with plastic expansion noise (although that might not be an issue in living room) and had to replace bearings several times.

30% gone must mean unit is old and and old unit will indeed normally use more power (from day installed - they get better almost every year as sold by how efficient they are).

Suspect 9k is not going to handle 35sm during the heat of day for most people and frankly can not believe any source in Thailand would provide such information. I find it good for 26sm but have temp at 28c and not moving around much. Suspect you will need at least 12k and even that may have issues if sun heating room and you really want cool temps.

As for the model LG I had much trouble with plastic expansion noise (although that might not be an issue in living room) and had to replace bearings several times.

12k is only 1000bht more so no problems and I would probably pair it off with a ceiling fan as well. The room is narrow and long so not much distance to cover wall to wall

The other thing is should I maybe buy just buy a new smaller unit ? current unit is 9 years old or maybe even swap the units around as the bedroom one is lightly used

Edited by mcfish

Compressor and air handler are paired by size so probably not a good idea. Do you know what BTU the unit is? Or the make/model? As you mention new units do not cost that much so probably best to get new system rather than just replace one part. I take it you have had cleaned (both inside and outside units). Can you set to 27c and be comfortable? Will likely help with the electric used. Unit is turning off when it gets to set temp? You mention cold so if unit is not turning off properly it will use a lot more electric (and this may not be checked by person doing cleaning).

In the event you do buy a new unit....and buy it on Lazada....Remember...someone still has to install it (Cost????) and Warranty (????)

Sometimes better to buy on sale at some outlet (or global/homepro/Thai Watsadu?) as they often include the cost of installation (ask them and make sure whats included) and will show up (maybe???) if problems occur.

Edited by beachproperty

Compressor and air handler are paired by size so probably not a good idea. Do you know what BTU the unit is? Or the make/model? As you mention new units do not cost that much so probably best to get new system rather than just replace one part. I take it you have had cleaned (both inside and outside units). Can you set to 27c and be comfortable? Will likely help with the electric used. Unit is turning off when it gets to set temp? You mention cold so if unit is not turning off properly it will use a lot more electric (and this may not be checked by person doing cleaning).

last clean was about 18 months ago so its needs another for sure but the bill didn't change much straight after the last clean either. 27c is comfy and its turning off ok as well.

The unit is covered in numbers and none look like the BTU but the model is TRANE.

I think I will start with getting a good technician out to check them first and take it from there. But I have enough info now so I have an idea what Im doing :-)

In the event you do buy a new unit....and buy it on Lazada....Remember...someone still has to install it (Cost????) and Warranty (????)

Sometimes better to buy on sale at some outlet (or global/homepro/Thai Watsadu?) as they often include the cost of installation (ask them and make sure whats included) and will show up (maybe???) if problems occur.

Good advice better get the same mob to install it

I think that 6000 baht a month is way too much. If you are paying direct to the electric company (i.e.you own the condo) your bill for 75 sq m should not be more than 2000 baht/m. I have 69 sq m and use the ac all night in my bedroom and also part of the day and I never get a bill for more than 1500 baht. If you bought a new a/c unit you could recover the costs in 4 to 6 months.

18 months is well above what I have found needed for a cleaning schedule - six months and they are dirty/dirty/dirty at my ground level home in Latphao. But expect condo may be at higher air level and with less dust. Also suspect the dust from several teenage girls may have something to do with there unit getting very dirty, very quickly.whistling.gif

I think that 6000 baht a month is way too much. If you are paying direct to the electric company (i.e.you own the condo) your bill for 75 sq m should not be more than 2000 baht/m. I have 69 sq m and use the ac all night in my bedroom and also part of the day and I never get a bill for more than 1500 baht. If you bought a new a/c unit you could recover the costs in 4 to 6 months.

Good grief I am paying way to much. Im the owner and pay direct

Time for a new unit !

Have a look around for a solar boosted unit.

They use about 70% of the power of an inverter style unit (and less electronics to cause issues).

They have a small thermal collector alongside the condenser (outside unit) that adds energy to the gas. The savings are made by using a smaller compressor than the equivalent 'normal' unit.

Thats not big enough. It will constantly run and burn out the compressor.

If you want cheap to run AC's you need to get Inverter AC's I have 2 of them and they are 30 to 40% cheaper to run. Yes they're more expensive to buy but if you are going to live there for a while then they're worth it. They will pay for themselves within 2 years time.

Yes your electric bill is way too high for a small condo like that. I pay 6,000 for a 200sqm 3 bed 3 bath house, and I have at least 1 AC on all the time and sometimes up to 3 when its very hot.

Good advice. The last 2 AC's I bought came with free installation and 2 years servicing every 6 months for free.

In New Zealand we measure 8sqr mts per kw so here in Thailand work on 6sqr mts per kw. 9,000 btu is roughly 2.5 kw so really only good for 15sqr mt in very hot country. So talking about 75sqr mt I would suggest you needed a 12 kw unit or 2 x 6kw total 45,000btu. I think I am close to it here.

Have the units been checked for refrigerant level? You can set the temperature to whatever you want; however, if the unit is trying to cool with insufficient refrigerant it could explain the high power bill.

My maximum electricity bill is 1500 baht on a 46 sqm apartment, middle of summer. Admittedly that's in Chiang Mai, not as hot as Bangkok.

In New Zealand we measure 8sqr mts per kw so here in Thailand work on 6sqr mts per kw. 9,000 btu is roughly 2.5 kw so really only good for 15sqr mt in very hot country. So talking about 75sqr mt I would suggest you needed a 12 kw unit or 2 x 6kw total 45,000btu. I think I am close to it here.

The room is a long an narrow and the unit will be directly facing me above the TV, its not that far a distance and I always have a fan at the long end of the room keeping all the cold air up at my end.

Go with your plan - I think you will be happy with that. Unless your condo is an oven, an undersized A/C can make comfortable. Even if it runs full blast, that's still a lot less electric than a larger size. I routinely put my 9K BTU open from my bedroom through "window" shutters and door to the rest of my 70sm space and it gets comfortable even when 40C. (That's with really good insulation.)

Good advice better get the same mob to install it

Simply because if you don't, they may balk on any Warranty episodes.whistling.gif

Good grief I am paying way to much. Im the owner and pay direct

Time for a new unit !

You certainly are. My bills average 4,500 baht a month for a 400 sq m bungalow occupied by a family of 4, 3 of which are Thai and switch the aircon on when they come to their rooms, plus 90 cu.m swimming pool pumping 7 hours a day + water hauled up to tower 45 metres and then pumped around the house plus 1 rai of garden watered by auto pumped sprinkler + koi pond pumped and aerated 24/7 ++

Electricity is no cheaper here in Isaan either.

Can't be just one dicky aircon unit doing that. I reckon you have several families spliced into your supply!