Demolition of 60 Sukhumvit beer bars: Chuwit's fate known today

webfact

It was his land and he let it to a third_party who sub leased it to the shops.

Rent was being paid to the sub lessor who didnt want to quit when Chuvit served notice on him.

Notices were pinned up at the site telling the shopkeepers to quit but they mai pen rai'd it. No doubt the sub lessor telling them it was nothing.

The sub lessor was still collecting rents and fees but not passing them over to Chuvit. And so the bulldozers came in.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^

"The sub lessor was still collecting rents and fees but not passing them over to Chuvit. And so the bulldozers came in. "

Posting notices is not negotiation to resolve a complex problem, nor respect for the rights of the occupiers of the land. No matter which way you cut it, the outcome is the same - a shameful trampling of the rights of the occupiers by an individual who deserves to do time. Trying to reinvent himself as a man of the people does not atone for his sins.

Chuwit given two months to breathe freedom

CMQ55hHUwAAyby1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Chuwit Kamolvisit, leader of the Rak Thailand party, was given two months more to breathe freedom after the Supreme Court decided to adjourn announcement of its final verdict on his fate till October 15 after eight other co-defendants in the beer bar demolition case in 2003 failed to show up.

Of the eight defendants failing to appear at the Bangkok South Municipal Court to hear their final verdicts, four of them were aware of the schedule but did not attend the hearing and did not notify the court.

The other four defendants are either sick, detained or unaware of the scheduled hearing today.

The Supreme Court judge then decided to adjourn the hearing of the final verdicts to October 15 at 9 am.

After hearing of the adjournment, Mr Chuwit said he was relieved as he still has two more months to breathe freedom.

He said from today he would spend his time making merits and to resort to holy things.

He said he was ready to devote himself to serve the people if the court acquitted him of the charges, while also affirming that he was ready to serve the prison term and would never flee the country if he was ruled guilty and sentenced.

Chuwit was earlier in 2006 sentenced by the Appeals Court to serve five years in prison for leading a group of over 130 men along with heavy machinery to demolish beer bars in the heart of Bangkok in January 2003.

He was then a massage parlour tycoon before he entered politics and became leader of the Rak Thailand party.

He and two accomplices, led the men to evict bar owners out of an area known as Sukhumvit Square on Sukhumvit Soi 10.

The bars sprawled over more than 10 rai of land. More than 60 beer bars were forcibly demolished.

His accomplices Lt Colonel Himalai Phiewphan, a military officer attached to the Armed Forces Development in 2003, and Major Thanyathep Thammathorn, who worked at the 11th Infantry Battalion of the Royal Guards, were prosecuted in the Criminal Court for the forced eviction.

But initially, the Criminal Court acquitted all defendants in the case including Chuwit, Himalai, and Thanyathep in 2006.

Only his lawyer, Chanwet Malaibucha was sentenced to an eight-month in jail for showing land ownership document to Lumphini police to mislead them into believing the eviction was legitimate.

Chanwet, prosecutors and co-plaintiffs appealed against the 2006 verdict.

But the Appeals Court found over half of them guilty, including Chuwit and the two officers.

It sentenced Chuwit and the two officers to five years in prison.

But he was granted bail pending appeal to the Supreme Court.

But as an MP carrying out his duty during a parliamentary session, he was not required to post any collateral, while two officers posted 500,000 baht in cash each for bail.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chuwit-given-two-months-to-breathe-freedom

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-13

That beer bar area was one of my favorite places. Spent many afternoons there shooting pool. Couldn't believe my eyes on that morning. I was speechless. I knew several business owners in there and it changed all their lives for the worse. One guy lost his entire internet cafe business as all assets were plowed over.

Seems we are only hearing half the story here.

why did he arrange for the demolition?

What is at the site now?

He wanted to develop the land but with all the hoopla converted it to a park called Chuvit Garden. He also ended up ratting on a lot of officials who had taken his bribes over the years.

He is or was married to an American women and was probably one of the largest massage parlor owners in Thailand back in the day.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Why, in mentioning this atrocity, does everyone only talk about beer bars? This was a thriving tourism centre of craft shops with artisans working right on the spot (and who lost everything to this hideous creature). There were clothing shops, salons, gift shops and so on. Chuwot's actions on that night were those of a total scumbag. Yet many of you readers love him!!! Why? He was a pimp, a tout, an acknowledged briber of police and is, by this action, clearly not a man of the people.

All these illegal businesses had received numerous eviction notices and yet considered themselves above the law.

Was this the one where he made a night time mission to demolish shops on his land set up by squatters that had no right to be there and refused to leave?

What I remember from the time was that he had allowed these people to stay there until a certain date, and then they had to be gone.

They overstayed, he demolished.

Was this the one where he made a night time mission to demolish shops on his land set up by squatters that had no right to be there and refused to leave?

Yep, that was his version of it. And it was initially believed until it was discovered that his lawyer had submitted falsified documents and ended up getting sent down for it.

Hence the re-trial began....................wink.png

I congratulate Khun Chuwit on ridding Sukhumvit Road of this sleazy area of run down beer bars and prostitute pick up dens. It has got rid of the many drunken perverts who used to frequent the area, and given us a restful quiet park to stroll, or sit and read the paper each day.

I gather Khun Chuwit has provided this park on his land and at his expense. He is to be thanked.

I can't believe this has taken so long. I truly hope he gets jail but I think we all know that will never happen. I had just moved to Thailand the month before and was living on Soi 10 when this happened. I came home late at night and saw all the trucks and people on the street but didn't find out what happened until the next day.

The military and police thugs went in, in the middle of the night after all the bars closed and forced all of the security guards out, in many cases beating them so bad they had to be rushed to hospital.

None of the bar owners knew this was happening this night and had everything in their bars bulldozed (whatever wasn't looted first) including booze, furniture, pool tables cash etc etc. There were other businesses too such as laundry shops etc. All gone except the spirit house.

There were plans to put up a hotel there (as my friend was bidding on the job) but that land has now been restricted from building there (at least for now) due to the laws that were broken by evicting these business owners in such a heinous way.

In the month or two prior to this, there was a big push on from the landlord to have everyone renew their leases early. The deal was renew now and pay for several months up front at a great discounted price. They knew what was coming and tried to scam more lease money out of the owners.

I knew many people that lost everything there. I hope Chuwits head will roll on this but I will not hold me breath. TIT

Why, in mentioning this atrocity, does everyone only talk about beer bars? This was a thriving tourism centre of craft shops with artisans working right on the spot (and who lost everything to this hideous creature). There were clothing shops, salons, gift shops and so on. Chuwot's actions on that night were those of a total scumbag. Yet many of you readers love him!!! Why? He was a pimp, a tout, an acknowledged briber of police and is, by this action, clearly not a man of the people.

All these illegal businesses had received numerous eviction notices and yet considered themselves above the law.

They did ? According to serveral sources, Chuwit bought the land less than a month before the "eviction" in december 2002. I am guessing the Original owner warned him about all of these "illegal businesses" having valid leases. But hey, if you have money, you ask a few shady militairy blokes to raze the land and be done with it right ?

There is just one guy here who thought he was above the law.

Edited by sjaak327

I am amazed that in Thailand, how often criminals get a pass and their lawyers go to jail. Seem a complete reversal of the way things work elsewhere.

So elsewhere the lawyer who commited a criminal offense get a pass?

Where I come from the lawyers are either smart enough to be honest, or cunning enough not to leave their (figurative) fingerprints all over the crime scene.

Just Thainess! nothing will ever change. Just accept everybody in authority is corrupt.

I agree! Dont waste time trying to change the unchangeable but use your time to find a way to make the situation work in your favour. If you cant then you may as well go home!

From what I have heard not everybody in authority wants to be corrupt but they often don't have a choice as that is the way Thailand works and if you dont like it you are out! It is exactly the same in England but they just hide it better.

Then if he acted legally, in accordance with the law, he has no worries.

If he chose to act in an illegal manner then he has to face the consequences.

As do those who assisted him.

And a laundry and dry cleaners - lost a lot of kit that night.

I congratulate Khun Chuwit on ridding Sukhumvit Road of this sleazy area of run down beer bars and prostitute pick up dens. It has got rid of the many drunken perverts who used to frequent the area, and given us a restful quiet park to stroll, or sit and read the paper each day.

I gather Khun Chuwit has provided this park on his land and at his expense. He is to be thanked.

A white elephant is to be treasured, fed and well taken care of and must not be allowed to work hence ownership of one carries a high overhead. Chuwit was ordered to give birth to that park/ white elephant.

And actually, before it was a park, it was one of the nicer places on lower suckie to relax, play pool, eat, meet people, well away from annoying tourists and the puritanical brigade of missionary bible thumpers who seemed to attend lower suckie far too often.