please tell me how thailand was 20 years ago?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sex stuff was better back then and it was cheaper, but MUCH better foreign food now and MUCH better access to music books, TV shows and other entertainment. The Internet is great. I'm glad that I saw Thailand during both times.

This is the reasons there are so many fat _ucks in Thailand now, back then only Malay had western food to fatten em up

It was better and worse ,I came in 92,,I was single and all the women were slim,a lot cheaper and there was no crime,I spent time in Bkk and before that Pattaya,jomtien was a day out and the dark side was fields and countryside .BKK was terrific,I spent most nights in the Thermae on Sukhumvit and I had a great studio,very large for about 12k a month I think ,now I am married ,and have a son we have lived in the UK and here in Pattaya ,as for the slim for the slim girls,they have long gone Thailand has changed its more modern,more crime and more expensive,but for a married guy a great place ,supermarkets,etc and I can drive anywhere. So is it better?I think it depends if you are a family man or a player

It was paradise on Earth. Sorry you missed it, son.

Well said & less farangs & definetly a lot less cars on the roads, you could actually go to eesan & see only a few farangs, now full of them, sad but the world keeps moving

That's what happens, when the few that found "Paradise at Earth", tells everybody else about it - lesson learned: if you find "paradise", keep quiet...whistling.gif

It's not just Thailand. Almost everywhere was better 30 years ago, mostly for the simple reason that there were fewer humans around and with less technology people could and did live in ignorant bliss. Now it seems that everything is much more in your face and everyone is more cynical and critical.

It was better and worse ,I came in 92,,I was single and all the women were slim,a lot cheaper and there was no crime,I spent time in Bkk and before that Pattaya,jomtien was a day out and the dark side was fields and countryside .BKK was terrific,I spent most nights in the Thermae on Sukhumvit and I had a great studio,very large for about 12k a month I think ,now I am married ,and have a son we have lived in the UK and here in Pattaya ,as for the slim for the slim girls,they have long gone Thailand has changed its more modern,more crime and more expensive,but for a married guy a great place ,supermarkets,etc and I can drive anywhere. So is it better?I think it depends if you are a family man or a player

A number of posters say: it was better before. I think “I Claudius” hit spot on when saying »it was better and worse«, and also »it depends if you are a family man or a player«.
Coming as a young backpacker some 20+ years ago – like the poster earlier talking about Samui the year before the airport was build, when they stayed for next-to-nothing in primitive huts with common shower and squat toilet, no electricity, dirt roads and no, or hardly any, cars; I can imagine them sitting on beach around a bonfire in the Full Moon night playing guitar and singing – and then living here on permanent basis, where most will find needs as electricity, aircons, 7-eleven on almost every corner, and superstores, ATM’s, decent roads, hospitals etc. etc. extremely necessary.
Coming to LoS today, you may just fall in love with the country – and I am talking about the country and the Thai life-style, not the girls; but you maybe also “fall in love” with them – because you don’t know what it was like, how much it has changed, or has been “spoiled” as some will say.
Europe, in my case, has also been spoiled and was much, much better in the “good old hippie” days – the girls were slim, everything was cheap, and there were no crime (like now) – even the summers were much better then, and at that time many of the young girls were topless or even naked at the beaches...rolleyes.gif
When I came to Samui almost 15 years ago, I felt that this was “paradise”, just like many others before me, who never returned home. I know of one, who for some-or-other reason had to make a visit back to his home country, and as it was shortly after they began with “visa overstay penalty”, he was deeply worried, because he had overstayed more than 25 years. He must have experienced some changes of the island.
When I came, there were two 7-eleven shops on Samui – Easy to say where I stayed: “Maenam soi 7-eleven” – and two places with ATM’s; one hidden, almost secret, on the beach road in Chaweng; and a couple in front of the bank branches in Nathon. A few years later opened a Tesco-Lotus on the island, and that was the time I noticed people began to talk about Samui had become totally spoiled, talked about how good it was in old time, and that now it’s time to “move out”.
Hello, this is “Paradise on Earth” – and I just found it...!
My best friend has been backpacking Samui almost since "she was invented", and he and his home-country girlfriend still comes once or twice a year. They try to keep the genuine backpacker spirit alive by traveling with night train from Bangkok to Surat Thani, cross the Bandon Bay to Samui with one of the small passenger ferries, stay in cheap fan-bungalows as similar as possible to the vanished original backpacker bamboo huts, and live of “fried rice chicken” from a street kitchen with free drinking water; not because of money, but “keeping past experience alive”. However, over the last few years they have slowly changed to Bangkok Air, first one-way then return, good aircon bungalows, and descent restaurants – not because things has changed so train, fan-huts, and street kitchens are not available anymore; they have changed...whistling.gif
And yes, I can fully follow how wonderful “Paradise on Earth” was back in the 70’ies, 80’ies and even 90’ies – would have been fun to have been a part it, but then my life would probably had turned out in a total different direction; if I for example had settled together with the New Age hippies, I might still be sitting meditating in a remote bay at Koh Phangan. In the past 14 years I’ve have constantly been warned by many that it is totally spoiled over there, don’t go. Even it’s just a “stone's throw” away from where I live, I behaved and stayed on “my own island”. I’m not talking about the dreamlike Bounty island-style, coconut palm covered beaches, them I’ve been to, but the party that keeps the spirit alive from past time hippie-backpackers playing guitar and singing by bonfire on the beach in the night of Full Moon. Finally I got myself together earlier this year – it was great, so great that now I keep coming back – my only regret is, that I listened to all the rant about how bad it is, and didn’t get over there 14 years earlier...smile.png

What I find really sad about this thread is all the comments about how the sex was cheaper, sad for the poor girls and even sadder for the guys who have to pay to get a girl in bed!!!

You mean like Hugh Grant, Tiger Woods and Charlie Sheen? They have all paid for sex. whistling.gif

Discuss/debate/comment on the topic, not the poster.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

I have read through most of these posts and I am actually kind of surprised. I expected it to be mostly one sided on how life was so great in the good old days. There were actually some good points on either side. One thing that I can appreciate about Thailand and that was not there 20 years ago is the infrastructure. BTS, MRT, the elevated roads, and Motorway 7 to Pattaya have made a huge Difference. The one that I think makes the biggest difference to me is Suvarnabhumi. What an amazing aiprort in such a perfect location between BKK and Chonburi. It really makes Asia so accesible for me to travel and it is so conveinent in so many ways.

One other thing that definetly stands out for me is the huge industries that are here that offer jobs to foreginers. I could not have come with my company 20 years ago (if I worked for them back then), because the factory we have was not even built in Thailand yet. Yes Thailand has grown a lot in 20 years, but that growth is not all bad. That growth is what has allowed me to have an opportunity to live here.

1994 is when I first came and spent quite a lot of time there for a couple of years hanging out in Asia, working in Hong Kong

It was great.

I do look at this backpacker generation, if that even exists anymore, taken over by middle class gap year kids and people on 2 month 'holidays'. In those times people were going somewhere, backpacking to Australia or back again. Maybe 'The Beach' changed all that

Bangkok was maybe a little more difficult to get around. Biggest change obviously places like the islands, Koh Pha Ngan, still beautiful but was amazing. The fact you could go to near enough any island and 100 or 200 baht be staying right on the beach, open the doors to your bungalow and the sea is there. None of this online booking kids booking places up, turn up, check all the rooms in the area and pick one

Full Moon was chilled out party and good times rather than this monster dance 'event' with international DJs. I think travel has simultaneously become a lot easier and waaaaay more of a pain in the arse. Previously, the bus/ferry, etc left at a particular time. You missed it, you missed it ... now all the ferry and buses are owned by travel companies or the ferry company and it's all coordinated and it's all wait, wait, wait, wait ... seems to take ages to get from mainland to island now whereas before you'd wake up, go to pier and get on boat, you know

Also, communication. People remember 'poste restante'? :D No internet, no credit cards, no ATMs ... you carried your money with you. You felt more cut off, especially on islands (couldn't just change money everywhere) and I do miss those days sometimes but it is still beautiful and Bangkok is still one of Asia's great cities and the worlds, for me

20-odd years ago people said 'it's ruined' and they say it every year. However, no one can ever see it how it was back then, it's just how you remember it and no one can see it like again

I was never one for pictures but all my memories of Asia back then are just that, memories. Stil love it today, mind

I have read through most of these posts and I am actually kind of surprised. I expected it to be mostly one sided on how life was so great in the good old days. There were actually some good points on either side. One thing that I can appreciate about Thailand and that was not there 20 years ago is the infrastructure. BTS, MRT, the elevated roads, and Motorway 7 to Pattaya have made a huge Difference. The one that I think makes the biggest difference to me is Suvarnabhumi. What an amazing aiprort in such a perfect location between BKK and Chonburi. It really makes Asia so accesible for me to travel and it is so conveinent in so many ways.

One other thing that definetly stands out for me is the huge industries that are here that offer jobs to foreginers. I could not have come with my company 20 years ago (if I worked for them back then), because the factory we have was not even built in Thailand yet. Yes Thailand has grown a lot in 20 years, but that growth is not all bad. That growth is what has allowed me to have an opportunity to live here.

to the contrary, i got here in 1996 at the age of 25.

jobs were easy to find, and the first 10 years was a progession of work and salary increases until it topped out and i went freelance, self employed, largely because enough thais had received a foreign education by that time and were willing to do the work cheaper.

thank god for that, im liking the freelance much better.

Bangkok 25 years ago you constantly felt you were in a time warp, there was no "modern Thailand" to enjoy, no glitzy malls like Terminal 21 or Central World which, frankly, are probably superior to the shopping centres or high street in many whinging farang's hometown. Banks were beauracratic, American fast food was few and far between. Tuktuks were everywhere in Bangkok and cheaper than taxis. The gap between Western lifestyle and Thai lifestyle was much wider. These days many Thais are living in the same kind of condos as their Western counterparts, driving Toyotas, eating in chain restaurants. It's not as exotic as it once was, but on the other hand it's more accessible and more comfortable. OP you didn't miss anything, live in the present. As someone else posted, in 20 years time people will be nostalgic for 2015.

When I first started coming to Thailand almost 30 years ago, I would fly into Bangkok while transiting to China, India, or Indonesia. I would go to Pattaya and stay at a hotel near the Royal Cliff Hotel which then had a Thai Airways office so I could get tickets for my next destination.

Almost everyone I would meet during those 3 or 4 day visits was European and mostly British. But I still enjoyed coming back to Thailand, anyway.

BTW I might have known what Thailand was like 40+ years ago but i scored a very high US Draft Lottery number.

Edited by JLCrab