Thai Consulate Penang for Non O VIsa

I'm planning to go with a friend to Penang, he wants to get a Non O for retirement, he already has money in the bank, which will be seasoned by the time he applies for retirement extension.

The reason we have thought about going to Penang (from Chiang Mai) is that he is rather frail and walking is limited, otherwise I might have thought Vientiane a better option, but I don't know?

Could anyone tell me the best procedure at Penang and also a place to stay that is not far from the consulate please?

Thanks a lot.

In Penang using an agent is the best way do to it.

He will need his bank book and copies of it. Best to update it just before leaving for the trip.

There are flights from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. Nok Air offers a fly/ride service to Vientiane via Udon.

• Like 1

He will need his bank book and copies of it. Best to update it just before leaving for the trip.

There are flights from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. Nok Air offers a fly/ride service to Vientiane via Udon.

Joe I read somewhere that the agents in Penang are a bit 'dodgy', have you heard of any reputable ones?

Is that fly and ride with Nok Air any good do you know?

How many days should we allow in each place, taking into account he can't sprint around?

Thanks

NB No Bank letter needed?

Edited by uptheos

There are plenty of reputable agents in Penang. Jim's is the most often mentioned. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jims-Place/151258461691517

There is also Banana guest house. http://bananapenang.com/main/

I have seen nothing bad about Nok's fly ride service.

You apply the morning of one day and get the passport back the next afternoon. IMO it is best to arrive the evening before applying to save a rush if you arrive on the morning of application.

The bank letter is something new they asked for in Vientiane. But the people asked still got their visa. It probably would be the best to get one.

• Like 1

Okay, jumping in with both feet now. I will be arriving at Soupy on 18 September. Finally decided on a 60 day tourist visa through one of the online services because I was frankly bewildered by the sometimes (seemingly) conflicting and/or incomplete information I have read in about 3,086 sources.
Here is my game plan.
I am a US citizen, 61 years of age, and a current retirement income of 1,200,00 BT. From what I have been reading it is possible to get a non-O visa via a "border run".
Okay, good so far. I will be staying in Bkk for a few months until my lady friend winds up some business. What is the best "border run" destination for that? I like the sound of Penang so far, but 1) How dya get there from Bkk. 2) Is Georgetown a district within Penang? 3) Is an income affidavit from the US Embassy acceptable there? I will have proof of where and when, but I have begun to read reports of some consulates being a little "testy" about it.
Would Ventiane be a better bet? I can walk well, if slowly. I am guessing the reason for flying to Ubon is proximity to the border. I will have my Social Security annual statement of benefits, i.e. how much and when, as well as a similar letter from my bank about trust income as well as a listing of the assets in the trust. Good enough if accompanied by an embassy affidavit
?
Thanks for your consideration. I am pretty bright, but very attention deficit.... trying to thread all the considerations into a single effective narrative can be a tad difficile. gigglem.gif
Oh, and then I will get on about a decent (cheap!) short term rental in Bkk, and any advice on medical insurance... if I do decide to stay I will drop Medicare with its $118 /month premium, $1,400 deductible, 20% co-pays WHEN they decide to cover something, etc......

Edited by bil2054

Okay, jumping in with both feet now. I will be arriving at Soupy on 18 September. Finally decided on a 60 day tourist visa through one of the online services because I was frankly bewildered by the sometimes (seemingly) conflicting and/or incomplete information I have read in about 3,086 sources.

Here is my game plan.

I am a US citizen, 61 years of age, and a current retirement income of 1,200,00 BT. From what I have been reading it is possible to get a non-O visa via a "border run".

Okay, good so far. I will be staying in Bkk for a few months until my lady friend winds up some business. What is the best "border run" destination for that? I like the sound of Payang so far, but 1) How dya get there from Bkk. 2) Is Georgetown a district within Payang? 3) Is an income affidavit from the US Embassy acceptable there? I will have proof of where and when, but I have begun to read reports of some consulates being a little "testy" about it.

Would Ventiane be a better bet? I can walk well, if slowly. I am guessing the reason for flying to Ubon is proximity to the border. I will have my Social Security annual statement of benefits, i.e. how much and when, as well as a similar letter from my bank about trust income as well as a listing of the assets in the trust. Good enough if accompanied by an embassy affidavit?

Thanks for your consideration. I am pretty bright, but very attention deficit.... trying to thread all the considerations into a single effective narrative can be a tad difficile. gigglem.gif

Oh, and then I will get on about a decent (cheap!) short term rental in Bkk, and any advice on medical insurance... if I do decide to stay I will drop Medicare with its $118 /month premium, $1,400 deductible, 20% co-pays WHEN they decide to cover something, etc......

On what basis will you be applying for a non-o visa and then an extension at immigration? Your income from social security alone is not enough to get one based upon retirement which is 65k baht.. You can include the trust income when you do the income affidavit. To get the non-o visa you will only need the income affidavit. At most immigration offices the income affidavit is all that is needed.

You have enough enough income at current exchange rates to meet the 40k baht income for an extension based upon marriage. To get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage does not require proof of income.

You wrote Ubon but I think you meant Udon for going to Vientiane.

• 3 weeks later...

can I obtain a visa o at thai consulate if I am over 50 years old and have bank book that shows more than 1 mil bath for more than 1 month, but not 2 months yet ? Thanks

whistling.gif If you have problems walking I don't recommend Penang unless you use an agent to go to the Thai consulate for you.

The reason is that at the Thai consulate in Penang there is a short flight of 3 stairs you must climb to the place where you submit your application.

No problem if you are young and healthy..... but a big problem to climb those 3 steps if you have a problem walking.....and there is no railing or support to hold on to while climbing those 3 step stairs.

Believe me, I have a limited disability only, but I found it difficult to climb those 3 steps.

Only about 4 feet to climb, and nothing to worry about for young healthy people, but a problem for frail old men like me with a walking disability.

Use an agent to go to the Consulate in Penang just for that reason.

P.S. I believe that they might let you fill out the form and sign it at the consulate in Penang but allow an agent to actually submit it for you if you can not climb the stairs to actually submit the form yourself.

Edited by IMA_FARANG