Astrology - your experiences

fang37

Your thinking of mediums there the ones who predict, astrologers after consulting your chart will advise on suitable times to buy, sell, study etc, often it falls into a period of time that period could be anything from a month to a number of years...

Common, get your pseudoscience straight. Mediums do not predict anything. Mediums are the fraudsters who claim to be able to channel alleged spirits from beyond the grave. As their name implies, they act as a bridge - a literal medium - between the living and the dead.

Giving advice about the best time to buy, sell, study or whatever you want do in the future is still making a prediction about the future. Call it whatever you like. Whether it's based on the position of the planets or the arrangement of tea leaves, it's all just different forms of soothsaying and it's still hokum.

Edited by attrayant

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of you guys know nothing of Astrology, i assume were talking about the spiritual side here.

There is nothing "spiritual" about astrology.

Astrology is the contention that the position of the planets & stars at the time of your birth profoundly affects your life.

Astrologers dont predict your future, they will draw up your chart from information like date and location of birth, from that chart they can advise you on likely phases coming and going in your life.

How is giving advice on "likely phases coming in your life" different from predicting the future?

As I said most here don't know about what astrologers do, your thinking of mediums there the ones who predict, astrologers after consulting your chart will advise on suitable times to buy, sell, study etc, often it falls into a period of time that period could be anything from a month to a number of years, the degree of how accurate they are comes down to the individual, I've never known a real astrologer to predict anything, the news paper ones are just entertainment like the rest of the news paper.

How to spoil a parfectly good sentence....

" I've never known a real astrologer to predict anything,"

add...."the news paper ones are just entertainment like the rest of the news paper."

The only time I ever got involved with astrology was with a girl who liked to do my chart and give readings

but she was gorgeous and had great t-ts so I would have feigned interest even if he had been into phrenology.

give me the winning lottery numbers then I'll believe in Astrology ...

as for the planets ... I only know uranus giggle.gif

"give me the winning lottery numbers then I'll believe in Astrology .."

Really??? Don't you realise that even if they did give you the numbers, Astrology would STILL be a load of Shit

Fruitcake central now at TV, man didnt walk on the moon but astrology is real.............blink.png

Edited by kannot

I once went to one of these guys who was supposed to be marvelous,he asked a lot of questioned to which my reply was you tell me? He was Crap ,as are all of them, my mother in law used them all the time ,for the lottery etc, funny she is not a millionaire

I had a friend who made his living by forecasting the future for you. He made a good living. The one thing he told me is if you see one say as little as you can. They are very gifted at figuring things out from a little bit of information.

Fruitcake central now at TV, man didnt walk on the moon but astrology is real.............blink.png

Odd how every time a topic on anything deemed esoteric is raised on here the overwhelming majority just can't seemed to resist repeatedly posting their usually ignorant, views debunking said topic. Anyone would think they really needed to reaffirm their uninformed position/stance. There's no other explanation for their not simply thinking 'oh this topic doesn't interest me' and going on to something else coffee1.gif Is there.

Odd how every time a topic on anything deemed esoteric is raised on here the overwhelming majority just can't seemed to resist repeatedly posting their usually ignorant, views debunking said topic. Anyone would think they really needed to reaffirm their uninformed position/stance. There's no other explanation for their not simply thinking 'oh this topic doesn't interest me' and going on to something else coffee1.gif Is there.

There's nothing " esoteric" about astrology.......it's bunkum.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Why would you think this topic is not interesting to skeptics and critical thinkers? Why do you label the views of skeptics to be ignorant? Wooist thinking is fascinating not so much in what is believed but how and why people are able to believe in things to which there is no evidence, been tested, evaluated and found to have no merit.

I study Tarot and Kabbalah for hobby. I do not like to use it in other people. It is very interesting, precise sometimes, and easy to learn. I do not have doubts that our lives are connected with events and energy changes in the full universe.

Only very few people do Astrology seriously, because it a very complicated task, and it is not a future telling to become rich. Most astrologers do just for hobby, because will be very expensive to customers to do it commercially. Probably some rich people are in contact with good astrologers.

I have a close friend in the US that is a professional in other area, but a serious astrologer, and I know his work. He said that doing it properly can show the most dramatic events in a person life, even reason and time of death.

He only do under written conditions and contract, and for some very particular people. He never do it for friends and family.

The ones online, or cheap, are just scammers.

Edited by umbanda

More odd is the stupidity it takes to "believe" in it

I study Tarot and Kabbalah for hobby. I do not like to use it in other people. It is very interesting, precise sometimes, and easy to learn. I do not have doubts that our lives are connected with events and energy changes in the full universe.

Only very few people do Astrology seriously, because it a very complicated task, and it is not a future telling to become rich. Most astrologers do just for hobby, because will be very expensive to customers to do it commercially. Probably some rich people are in contact with good astrologers.

I have a close friend in the US that is a professional in other area, but a serious astrologer, and I know his work. He said that doing it properly can show the most dramatic events in a person life, even reason and time of death.

He only do under written conditions and contract, and for some very particular people. He never do it for friends and family.

The ones online, or cheap, are just scammers.

Fine, lets see the evidence................what you dont have any???? but but but.........ah ok its "belief"

OK so does it also affect animals, does it work down to an amoeba, if there were no humans would there be no astrology?, how do the outer dwarf planets, which are quite large that you didnt know about 30 years ago effect us...........Im all ears?

PS I guess you knew this question was coming and have already called your friend to let me know.

Edited by kannot

I rest my case.biggrin.png

Why would you think this topic is not interesting to skeptics and critical thinkers? Why do you label the views of skeptics to be ignorant? Wooist thinking is fascinating not so much in what is believed but how and why people are able to believe in things to which there is no evidence, been tested, evaluated and found to have no merit.

Like any religious deity......

Edited by coulson

I rest my case.biggrin.png

I don't seem to realise that you don't have a case, but an erroneous premise.

ancient people who knew very little about the stars planets and other celestial objects, for some reason decided that their position in the heavens at the time of our birth and during our lives affected the outcome of events in our lives.

I have two questions

What was that reason?

Why? what made them think that celestial bodies affect or predict the outcome of events in our lives?

did they take in to account that our relative position to these celestial bodies changes constantly and developed a differential calculus to account for those changes?

For those who believe in astrology, why do you believe it is true?How do you think the planets influence events in your lives.

Edited by sirineou

The human mind loves to find patterns where none exist (face on Mars) and play "connect the dots" to make faulty correlations (somebody sees a rooster crow, and then the sun comes up, therefore the crowing rooster caused the sun rise). Long before humans had a scientific understanding of nature, most of what people "knew" was learned strictly through observation. The scientific method arose in several different cultures independently, but it was the philosophers such as Aristotle and Epicurus who really began to apply logic and empirical evidence to validate hypotheses.

Sadly, the collapse of the Roman Empire and subsequent Christian Dark Ages effectively suppressed scientific advancement for a thousand years or more. During this time, people established beliefs based on simple observation - such as looking at the stars and remembering what happened the last time when a certain celestial object was in a certain position. Chinese astrologers often made up post-hoc explanations to explain to their emperors why certain things happened, and often the stars got the blame. The first time Comet Halley was seen by Chinese astrologers (at that time it was called a 'broom star"), a few months later a prominent member of the royal family died. Not knowing what else to think, the comet got the blame. In subsequent years when it reappeared, royal astrologers were quick to blame the comet for whatever bad news happened to be vexing the royal family at the time. Comet Halley (and the positions of celestial bodies in general) were a convenient scapegoat.

As Carl Sagan once said, the pseudoscience of astrology seems comforting. If our lives are controlled by a set of celestial traffic signals in the heavens, why bother trying to change anything?

Edited by attrayant

The human mind loves to find patterns where none exist (face on Mars) and play "connect the dots" to make faulty correlations (somebody sees a rooster crow, and then the sun comes up, therefore the crowing rooster caused the sun rise). Long before humans had a scientific understanding of nature, most of what people "knew" was learned strictly through observation. The scientific method arose in several different cultures independently, but it was the philosophers such as Aristotle and Epicurus who really began to apply logic and empirical evidence to validate hypotheses.

Sadly, the collapse of the Roman Empire and subsequent Christian Dark Ages effectively suppressed scientific advancement for a thousand years or more. During this time, people established beliefs based on simple observation - such as looking at the stars and remembering what happened the last time when a certain celestial object was in a certain position. Chinese astrologers often made up post-hoc explanations to explain to their emperors why certain things happened, and often the stars got the blame. The first time Comet Halley was seen by Chinese astrologers (at that time it was called a 'broom star"), a few months later a prominent member of the royal family died. Not knowing what else to think, the comet got the blame. In subsequent years when it reappeared, royal astrologers were quick to blame the comet for whatever bad news happened to be vexing the royal family at the time. Comet Halley (and the positions of celestial bodies in general) were a convenient scapegoat.

As Carl Sagan once said, the pseudoscience of astrology seems comforting. If our lives are controlled by a set of celestial traffic signals in the heavens, why bother trying to change anything?

That explains why people thousands of years ago believed in these things

but how can one, knowing what we know , reconcile these beliefs today?