Astrology - your experiences

fang37

This has been one of the more fun TV threads, in my opinion.

I found my own personal fortune teller (OK, he wasn't an astrologer) in his Sky-office, back in 2010. Well, he found me on a Chiang Mai footpath, but same difference. He was amazed when I told him my age - he turned out to be exactly the same age as me ! I was amazed, too! We were both amazed! I realised then that he was a fantastic guy, that fate had somehow pushed him in my way, and that I should listen very, very carefully to whatever important messages he had for me. He went on to tell me I'd live until I'm 89. Works for me! I've gone on to live my life with that reassurance ever since and believe me, it's a great feeling.

Definitely worth 100 Baht.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Astrology ancient science? When they began this scam, all planets in solar system beyond naked eye weren't even known..... Millions of years? Yeah, I think Leakey said Lucy was a Pisces.... and in those millions of years our solar system has moved in relation to those constellations.... esoteric in the sense it doesn't exist. If a science, how about some scientific proof?

Me, I'll take the I Ching: more fun, free, and when give some rather vague reading, lets one wonder about question from a different angle, which may actually be useful. Something like looking for shapes and figures in clouds.

In the immortal words of the scriptwriter who wrote the lines for Sheldon in the first episode of TBBT:

" you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the sun's apparent position relative to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality."

Plus the fact that your "horoscope" would pertain to roughly what, 600 million other people on the planet. All of it made up by people with nothing better to do in the evenings than to stare at the stars and let their imaginations run wild.

"Hey, look at those stars over there - let's call them the "House of Venus" because, you know, whatever". "And if you drink enough of this fermented brew and look at those stars, they kind of look like a bull, lets call them Taurus !" "Gee - I don't know Arsitodonadusticles - it sounds more like bull than it looks like one." "That's because you are too sober Herodiclistotledus ! Now drink up and watch as the bull enters Venus, er, I mean the "House of Venus". I think anyone who is born at this time should have the characteristics of a Bull. What think you Arsitodonadusticles ?"

"Hic - pash the wine an...an...an why is that fishy star trying to, tryin, trying to that goat place hic !" "Ah my drunken and soon to be deflowered friend, that is just Pisces and Sagittarius. I have decided that those 2 like each other more than they like any of the other stars I've arbitrarily named. I think that people born in different months should be attracted to other people born in different months. Say Herodiclistotledus, were you not born when that star looked like it was near that other star ? That must mean we are meant for each other ! Herodiclistotledus ? Herodiclistotledus ? Are you awake ? Are you passed out ? Are you pretending to be passed out to see if I'll do.......something to you ? Tell me now Herodiclistotledus or I may do......something to you just to prove you right ! Herodiclistotledus ? OK then, you leave me no choice ! I must have my way with you just as the stars I named (conveniently) predicted I would !"

I'm guessing the actual invention of "astrology" was probably a little more complicated than that (or not).

My free daily horoscope for the gullible: This thread will continue to spout utter hocus pocus b0ll0cks for the next 24 hours.

I have to agree but why folks cant go a bit farther and realise religion is exactly the same........but ooooooooooooh no we "must" respect their belief..............however stupid.

Talking of which i see uber stupid has just blown up Palmyra....idiots

Edited by kannot

I think it was Carl Sagan that said that the USA has 1,500 astronomers and 15,000 astrologers. It goes to show the state of critical thinking in America.

Christopher Hitchens says that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The burden of proof is on the people making the extraordinary claim, and the astrologers aren't doing too well coming up with any proof.

Science and engineering have brought us ocean liners, jet airplanes, the Apollo program, remote probe on a comet, digital computers, and the internet which you're using to read this.

What has astrology brought us? A way to separate fools and their money.

Relevant XKCD: https://xkcd.com/808/

And if demanding proof means that I'm ignorant, then I'm happy to call myself ignorant.

Christopher Hitchens says that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The burden of proof is on the people making the extraordinary claim, and the astrologers aren't doing too well coming up with any proof.

My apologies, it was Marcello Truzzi and Carl Sagan that came up with that phrase.

Hitchens said “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

My apologies, it was Marcello Truzzi and Carl Sagan that came up with that phrase.

Hitchens said “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

He also said that JW Black label was the nectar of the gods so he did have his religeous moments. Miss the Hitch.

He also said that JW Black label was the nectar of the gods so he did have his religeous moments. Miss the Hitch.

Unfortunately he worshiped his cigarettes as well.

I miss the guy too - the world needs more people like him.

People used to crap on a hole in the back of their homes. Just because something is old doesn't make it right. Astrology, religion same same.....crap. Try growing a brain then actually use it. I got a feeling the Indians you lived with were still crapping in a bucket. What does that tell you?

Edited by ThaiWai

I found my own personal fortune teller (OK, he wasn't an astrologer) in his Sky-office, back in 2010. Well, he found me on a Chiang Mai footpath, but same difference. He was amazed when I told him my age - he turned out to be exactly the same age as me ! I was amazed, too! We were both amazed! I realised then that he was a fantastic guy, that fate had somehow pushed him in my way, and that I should listen very, very carefully to whatever important messages he had for me. He went on to tell me I'd live until I'm 89. Works for me! I've gone on to live my life with that reassurance ever since and believe me, it's a great feeling.

Mathematical fact:

In a room of just 23 people there's a 50-50 chance of two people having the same birthday. In a room of 75 there's a 99.9%chance of two people matching.

Still amazed you were born the same year? Are yah...really??

Mathematical fact:

In a room of just 23 people there's a 50-50 chance of two people having the same birthday. In a room of 75 there's a 99.9%chance of two people matching.

Still amazed you were born the same year? Are yah...really??

I think he was joking...........

Just looking at your figures there, I've only ever met two people in my whole life who share the same birthday as me.....

PS: Are you also a Taurus?

Edited by coulson

Just looking at your figures there, I've only ever met two people in my whole life who share the same birthday as me.....

The statistical likelihood of 50% is true only for any two people having some birthday in common, not a specific birthday (e.g. your birthday). You would need a room of about 255 people to get a 50% chance of one of them sharing your particular birthday. Edited by attrayant

Well, have all of the supreme idiots written their clueless responses? Gosh I hope so and it always amazes me that so many who do not know squat about astrology are willing to offer their useless judgements and comments. I wonder if this is a reflection of how some of you asses assess everything in our world that you do not know anything about.

Instead of offering deaf and dumb over-generalized remarks... just do something very simple. Discover for yourself! Go to www.astro.com and enter all of the required information (if you know things like where you were born and what time) and see what comes up and see if it resonates with you. Wow! So simple! You don't have to guess anymore...won't that be fun? Do you have the intestinal fortitude to do this or are you in fear that the information you read will scare you with the truth you may discover about yourself. Most likely that is why you so easily dismiss things for which you have no information. Ever here of Seek Your Truth and Your Truth Shall Make You Free (that is my version)?

I have been studying my own astrology for 50 years...yes 50... and find it to be very accurate...ooooh...scary huh? I have been also studying the charts of over 100 others who have their minds open enough to take a look and guess what...they are all quite amazed at the accuracy.

Has anyone ever heard of Carl Gustav Jung, the great psychiatrist of the time of Sigmund Freud who accurately saw so much evidence of astrology and its accuracy when he did charts for couples, that he integrated it into his practice and was successful in assisting couples in their challenges for years?

So, will you do that? Will you check it out for yourself? It may take an entire minute or two! OMG! This may be the biggest thing that you ever did but for many of you, you will prefer to not do that and prefer to stay firmly in your ignorance, or you may see if I made a spelling or grammar mistake and then you can feel really powerful...yes?

Well, have all of the supreme idiots written their clueless responses? Gosh I hope so and it always amazes me that so many who do not know squat about astrology are willing to offer their useless judgements and comments. I wonder if this is a reflection of how some of you asses assess everything in our world that you do not know anything about.

Instead of offering deaf and dumb over-generalized remarks... just do something very simple. Discover for yourself! Go to www.astro.com and enter all of the required information (if you know things like where you were born and what time) and see what comes up and see if it resonates with you. Wow! So simple! You don't have to guess anymore...won't that be fun? Do you have the intestinal fortitude to do this or are you in fear that the information you read will scare you with the truth you may discover about yourself. Most likely that is why you so easily dismiss things for which you have no information. Ever here of Seek Your Truth and Your Truth Shall Make You Free (that is my version)?

I have been studying my own astrology for 50 years...yes 50... and find it to be very accurate...ooooh...scary huh? I have been also studying the charts of over 100 others who have their minds open enough to take a look and guess what...they are all quite amazed at the accuracy.

Has anyone ever heard of Carl Gustav Jung, the great psychiatrist of the time of Sigmund Freud who accurately saw so much evidence of astrology and its accuracy when he did charts for couples, that he integrated it into his practice and was successful in assisting couples in their challenges for years?

So, will you do that? Will you check it out for yourself? It may take an entire minute or two! OMG! This may be the biggest thing that you ever did but for many of you, you will prefer to not do that and prefer to stay firmly in your ignorance, or you may see if I made a spelling or grammar mistake and then you can feel really powerful...yes?

The most amazing thing about astrology is that people like this STILL expect to be taken seriously.

Your future is not predetermined. A good astrologer, who does a full chart on you, can tell what the influences are and what to look for. Generalized advice for everyone born that month is way down on usefulness.

"A good astrologer, who does a full chart on you, can tell what the influences are and what to look for" - no they can't

What mechanism do people believe exists in order for this system to work?

Edited by cumgranosalum

I study Tarot and Kabbalah for hobby. I do not like to use it in other people. It is very interesting, precise sometimes, and easy to learn. I do not have doubts that our lives are connected with events and energy changes in the full universe.

Only very few people do Astrology seriously, because it a very complicated task, and it is not a future telling to become rich. Most astrologers do just for hobby, because will be very expensive to customers to do it commercially. Probably some rich people are in contact with good astrologers.

I have a close friend in the US that is a professional in other area, but a serious astrologer, and I know his work. He said that doing it properly can show the most dramatic events in a person life, even reason and time of death.

He only do under written conditions and contract, and for some very particular people. He never do it for friends and family.

The ones online, or cheap, are just scammers.

Fine, lets see the evidence................what you dont have any???? but but but.........ah ok its "belief"

OK so does it also affect animals, does it work down to an amoeba, if there were no humans would there be no astrology?, how do the outer dwarf planets, which are quite large that you didnt know about 30 years ago effect us...........Im all ears?

PS I guess you knew this question was coming and have already called your friend to let me know.

Well I am defiantly a huge skeptic. But you ask for proof. Walk into any large emergency room in a modern hospital and ask them if the number of accidents doesn't go up at a full moon. What does that prove. I know that correlation does not causation make but there is some sort of tie in I would think.

I personally have no experience with a real astrologer. I know that the computer ones are pretty phony. Full of standard things with a lot of Barnum statements thrown in. I had a couple of friends who played around with it and when they were talking about it I got lost in the terminology. So I know there is more to it than what I understand. Does it make it real I don't know but I am willing to listen to any one with real knowledge.

Well I am defiantly a huge skeptic. But you ask for proof. Walk into any large emergency room in a modern hospital and ask them if the number of accidents doesn't go up at a full moon. What does that prove. I know that correlation does not causation make but there is some sort of tie in I would think.

If you were really a huge skeptic, you discount that full moon/ER myth pending evidence. The evidence says it's just an urban legend:

EMERGENCY ROOM VISITS: Researchers examined 150,999 records of emergency room visits to a suburban hospital. Their study, reported in American Journal of Emergency Medicine in 1996, found no difference at full moon vs. other nights.

I personally have no experience with a real astrologer.

That's because there are no "real" astrologers. To have a real astrologer, we'd first need some sort of certification process followed by objective verification of ability. Any any two so-called top astrologers will often draw up wildly different charts for the same person. When they happen to agree, it's because of overly broad statements that could be true for 80% of the general population.

Almost all statements made by astrologers rely heavily on subjective validation:

Subjective validation is an essential element of any successful cold reading done by astrologers [...] most sitters are usually eager for the reader to succeed and are willing to work hard to find personal meaning in whatever the reader throws out. In a successful cold reading, the sitter will be convinced that the accuracy of the reading was not due to her ability and willingness to cooperate but rather to the powers of astrology, palmistry, tarot, or mediumship.

Edited by attrayant

Insulting, condescending and credulous - must be a Capricorn. facepalm.gif

Your future is not predetermined. A good astrologer, who does a full chart on you, can tell what the influences are and what to look for. Generalized advice for everyone born that month is way down on usefulness.

"A good astrologer, who does a full chart on you, can tell what the influences are and what to look for" - no they can't

What mechanism do people believe exists in order for this system to work?

The mechanism of trying to comprehend that which you can't fully understand. The mind is complex.

As has been pointed out, the percentage of the worlds population that have some belief of either religion, the occult, myths, legends or astrology......is enormous. Can't all be ignorant and stupid.

I had an argument with a bunch a while back about the infamous 6th sense.....commonly percieved as a sense of communication with the occult but widely accepted as being a sense of balance. I could not explain the association with a sense so easily, they also couldn't quite grasp.

There's a great song called *superunknown*

If this isn't what you see, doesn't make you blind.

If this isn't making sense, doesn't make it lies.

If this doesn't make you smile, you don't have to cry.

If you don't want to believe, you don't have to try.

Edited by coulson

As has been pointed out, the percentage of the worlds population that have some belief of either religion, the occult, myths, legends or astrology......is enormous.

Appeal to popularity. Just because a lot of people believe is something silly, does not make it any less silly. Alternately stated, a statement's truth value has absolutely no bearing on the number of people who believe it (in the absence of solid evidence) to be true. Some level of proof must be presented. Further, the greater and more incredible the claim, the more compelling the evidence must be to support it.

Can't all be ignorant and stupid.

Why not? There is a huge number of uneducated and minimally educated people on this planet.

And you've actually undermined your own premise by saying that there is a huge number of people who believe in some religion. According to the The World Factbook there are: 2.2 billion Christians and 1.7 billion Muslims in the world (2013 est.). I hope you'll agree that certainly both religions can't be the one true region. So that means there are either 2.2 billion wrong Christians or 1.7 billion wrong Muslims in the world, with about 3 billion other wrong people believing other assorted "wrong" religions.

That's a whole lot of ignorant and stupid people (to use your words).

I am skeptical about Astrology, but i am even more skeptical about people who spend time mocking other people's beliefs.

What exactly does that mean, to be "skeptical about people"? You don't believe such people exist?

Oops, pls forgive my poor English, of course those people exist.. I mean to say, i'm skeptical about their mind's openness.