New Toyota Hilux Revo E 4x2 Suitable for Dirt Roads?

FACTOR

Hi. I am contemplating buying a new 2015 Hilux Revo E 4x2 and I wonder if it is suitable for moderately difficult dirt road and mud conditions. I know its ground clearance is less than the 4x4 but I don't want the big size of the 4x4 and I don't want to pay the extra money. Primarily I will drive on paved roads, but occasionally I want to get into pretty remote dirt roads with a fair amount of mud and ruts.

Any insights?

Thanks.

There's mud and then there's mud.

If you're just talking about dirt sois that get a little muddy when it rains, sure, no problems - practically any car will be able to navigate them. If you're talking about mountain trails up North in the peak of the wet season, you might make it with 2WD, or you might not.

Based on your description - ruts, mud, moderately difficult etc, you sure make it sound like 4WD style country.

If you do go for the 2WD, you might want to consider a locker diff...

Edited by IMHO

If you're just talking about dirt sois that get a little muddy when it rains, sure, no problems - practically any car will be able to navigate them. If you're talking about mountain trails up North in the peak of the wet season, you might make it with 2WD, or you might not.

Based on your description - ruts, mud, moderately difficult etc, you sure make it sound like 4WD style country.

Sorry. What's a locker diff...?

No. I'm not talking about mountain trails up north in the middle of the rainy season; I'm talking about farm roads on mostly flat land in the middle of the rainy season.

Thanks.

In that case, probably 2WD will do. Does everyone around you buy 4WD? if not, there's your answer :)

Sorry. What's a locker diff...?

An aftermarket upgrade (or factory option on Chev's) that makes both rear wheels turn if one of them loses all grip. Without this, if one wheel loses all grip, all power goes to that grip-less wheel.

Thanks for the info about locker diff.

Yes, many people in my area have 4x4s but I see them mostly on paved roads. I suspect a lot of people buy them but use them in the city to look impressive. Do you think some people might do that? --- buy a 4x4 but to use in the city, not rough driving?

Yes, many people in my area have 4x4s but I see them mostly on paved roads. I suspect a lot of people buy them but use them in the city to look impressive. Do you think some people might do that? --- buy a 4x4 but to use in the city, not rough driving?

With the price premium involved, extra downpayment % required, tougher finance and more expensive insurance, it's unlikely they're buying 4WD unless they think they need it. If they just want the "4WD look", they'd by a Prerunner (or Highlander/Hi-Rider/Plus/Hi-Racer/Calibre if not a Toyota).

Edited by IMHO

I only used the 4x4 on my Vigo a few times, that was on surfaces like you have mentioned, mud ruts all in low gear, that a two wheel does not have.

Without it I would have been buggered with road tyres.

They do not put off road tyres on as standard so if your not going to change them from new would suggest you go for a 4x4. Really bad stuff you would want off road tyres all round for doing that.

There in lies the problem their rubbish on roads, noisy/slow.

I have seen people in 4x4's who thought they were invincible and made the roads even worse and then get stuck and people in the same situation in 4 x2 's who have had experience in adverse conditions not getting into trouble. Basically what i am saying it is as much driving technique and experience and knowing what roads are passable than the vehicle's features in many situations.

"pretty remote dirt roads with a fair amount of mud and ruts."

The last thing I would want to do is worry about getting stuck without 4wd. Drive around in 2wd all the time and then if you get stuck put it in 4wd. If you use this method you are pretty much guaranteed never to be stuck out in nowhere.

Spend the extra money. When you sell it you will get that money back anyway. You will regret it the first time you get stuck out in nowhere.

No. I'm not talking about mountain trails up north in the middle of the rainy season; I'm talking about farm roads on mostly flat land in the middle of the rainy season.

Thanks.

Take a peek at what the locals are using..coffee1.gif

Thanks.

Take a peek at what the locals are using..coffee1.gif

Doubt locals will pay for the 4x4 option.

Nor does the OP..

My 4x4 Vigo has towed out of mud 2 basic pickups though the tyres were useless for the job and I needed a carwash afterwards....laugh.png

I bought the 4x4 cos at the time it was the only Vigo that could be bought with auto trans, glad I did cos it's great in monsoon type downpours. The 4x4 thing is "on demand" so the front wheel drive is not engaged 24/7. So, if I had the cash I would buy the 4x4, especially if muddy roads were involved.

If I may be a little gigglem.gif , a locker axle is one that actually does mechanically lock in wheel spin situations. Most rides, and no doubt the Toyota, have an LSD (limited slip diff) which is a very different animal, usually has a clutch pack or a cone thingy . tongue.png

Toyota has developed E-Locked diff and is fitted from the factory to many of their pickups. if anything is fitted from the factory (Thailand) I would assume it is this. It 100% locks the diff.

May I add. If the Revo has the same front wheel drive system it is a permanently "locked" design. Thats why they say do not use it on dry black top, puts to much strain on the parts.

They also suggest you engage 4WD on a straight-sh piece of road once a month to lubricate all the moving parts.

Transam, as long as that straightish bit of road is not black top, as it should be dirt so there can be a bit of slip if needed. You can 'wind up" the 4wd system if the wheels can't slip, which can destroy the system.

IMO If the track/road looks very bad and you are not an experienced driver in off road conditions, I would not attempt it in a 2wd. If you think you would encounter bad conditions fairly often over the life of the vehicle, you shouild invest in a 4wd. As they say 'better to be safe than sorry'.

The real issue for me might be "minimum ground clearance" rather than 4X2 vs. 4x4. Sure, 4x4 would be the surest bet for getting out of sticky situations (pun intended), but for the occasional light to moderate off-pavement driving I might wind up doing, it's really a ground clearance issue.

Ok, here's a related question; can I get the 4x2 and raise the ground clearance by a couple of inches? Can I put bigger tires on it? I've heard of suspension upgrades. Anybody know about those?

It's really the high ground clearance on a 4x4 that appeals to me, not the actual 4x4 capability. But I prefer the overall size of the 4x2.

Ok, here's a related question; can I get the 4x2 and raise the ground clearance by a couple of inches?

Yes - buy a Prerunner.

I already kinda answered this question smile.png

I bet that's what your neighbors have too... not actual 4x4's

http://www.toyota.co.th/en/index.php/app/product/model/hilux_revo_double_cab

Edited by IMHO

From my experience in the UK as well as Thailand it can be more a case of having the right tyres rather than 4 wheel drive. However the right tyres, 4 wheel drive and Hi & Low ratio gears will allow you to get out of even the worst problems. Went to the driving school at Land Rover and that was amazing as they take you through terrain normal people would not even dream of attempting. I now have the Toyota 4x4 because we have a farm, but when the original tyres get worn I'm putting better tyres on, then I know I'll always be OK.

My 4x4 Vigo has towed out of mud 2 basic pickups though the tyres were useless for the job and I needed a carwash afterwards....laugh.png

I bought the 4x4 cos at the time it was the only Vigo that could be bought with auto trans, glad I did cos it's great in monsoon type downpours. The 4x4 thing is "on demand" so the front wheel drive is not engaged 24/7. So, if I had the cash I would buy the 4x4, especially if muddy roads were involved.

If I may be a little gigglem.gif , a locker axle is one that actually does mechanically lock in wheel spin situations. Most rides, and no doubt the Toyota, have an LSD (limited slip diff) which is a very different animal, usually has a clutch pack or a cone thingy . tongue.png

Toyota has developed E-Locked diff and is fitted from the factory to many of their pickups. if anything is fitted from the factory (Thailand) I would assume it is this. It 100% locks the diff.

I have no idea how that works. I know a "true" locker can be noisy in operation, it clicks when turning on tight turns as it is mechanical.

I had a 2006 Tacoma (Hilux) 4X4 in USA unitl I sold it before I moved here in 2014. It had a LSD on the real axle, but it also had an electronic locker as well. This allowed the rear axle to spin as one unit (locks the differential together). I dont know if they offer the same options in Thailand or for 2WD models, but there is a button on the dash that says diff lock. The little ICON on the dash flashes red until it is locked and then it flashes green.

I never really needed the diff lock since I already had 4WD and never went into that extreme of conditions. But I used 4WD a fair amount of times and really enjoyed having it. I love the freedom of being able to go anywhere and not having to worry about getting stuck.

Never heard of a diff lock option in LOS. My Vigo has an LSD, it works really well, can feel wheel hop on tight slow moving turns. Both tyres do burn at the stop light drags...laugh.png

As I already posted, locker diffs are a factory option on the Chev Colorado RWD's (in that case, it's a Eaton G80 automatic locker). Other brands have aftermarket options.

LSD's are not directly comparable to a locker, as they rely on one wheel having at least some traction to work. If you get a back wheel in the air with an LSD, you may as well not have it - it's doing nothing.

I bought the 4x4 because its got all the bells and whistles on, not because its 4x4.

If you think you have no call for 4x4, 2WD will do fine on flat muddy roads providing it isn't deep mud. If you find a long stretch of mud deeper than the wheel rim you might spin out, and if you stop, you're stuck! You could put a set of All-Terrain tires on for a little help.

What's the difference in price?

I had a Ford ranger before, I was back up for some friends on a bike trip. They managed to end up on a dirt track going around a mountain that had had mud slides a few days before.. Got through but it was tricky at times.. If you do go for a 2wd maybe change out the tyres for something a bit more off roady. And think of getting a portable vehicle winch.

post-195835-1439799234954_thumb.jpg