New Toyota Hilux Revo E 4x2 Suitable for Dirt Roads?

FACTOR

does not matter if you have 4x4, if you get in a cross up situation even 4x4 have lsd and you can find yourself just spinning. although probably easier to get out of the situation with turning the wheels while going fore and aft, the fact is 4x4 is not a save all.
I had toyota 4x4 for 25 years before moving here.
When I go back usa I will def buy a 4x4 again, but I will pay up and install at least one ARB locker...and I will have a winch for sure. Now that is almost getting me out of the worst problems... of course the trick is not to get in them.

From my experience in the UK as well as Thailand it can be more a case of having the right tyres rather than 4 wheel drive. However the right tyres, 4 wheel drive and Hi & Low ratio gears will allow you to get out of even the worst problems. Went to the driving school at Land Rover and that was amazing as they take you through terrain normal people would not even dream of attempting. I now have the Toyota 4x4 because we have a farm, but when the original tyres get worn I'm putting better tyres on, then I know I'll always be OK.

There's mud and then there's mud.

If you're just talking about dirt sois that get a little muddy when it rains, sure, no problems - practically any car will be able to navigate them. If you're talking about mountain trails up North in the peak of the wet season, you might make it with 2WD, or you might not.

Based on your description - ruts, mud, moderately difficult etc, you sure make it sound like 4WD style country.

If you do go for the 2WD, you might want to consider a locker diff...

Is it possible to have a locker differential on a 2WD? At least I did not know!

If you're just talking about dirt sois that get a little muddy when it rains, sure, no problems - practically any car will be able to navigate them. If you're talking about mountain trails up North in the peak of the wet season, you might make it with 2WD, or you might not.

Based on your description - ruts, mud, moderately difficult etc, you sure make it sound like 4WD style country.

For the 3rd time in this thread, yes! OEM option on Chev's, aftermarket option on everything else.

I would think the likes of a Prerunner would have an LSD...

For the 2nd time in this thread: a limited slip diff (LSD) is not the same thing as a locker! tongue.png

LSD: Good for doing burnouts, because it relies on both wheels having at least some friction. Completely useless off road when one wheel gets air.

No offense mate biggrin.png

Edited by IMHO

But I do get traction with both wheels in mud conditions and it ain't a locker.....I do, really I do.........gigglem.gif .Perhaps I have a secret locker...smile.png

555, LSD's work so long as both wheels on the axle have friction. Put your weego into 2H, and find a rut that puts a back wheel in the air. Then try to drive. tongue.png