Tourists crossing the border to see 'Bike for Mom'

Lite Beer

Interesting to see that, in all the "Bike for Mum" photos I've seen leading up to this event and all the people I've seen on the road ready to take part today, there seems to have been almost 100% of participants wearing cycle helmets. Yet the wearing of crash helmets for the far more dangerous activity of motorcycling is, for all practical purposes, optional and usually ignored, at least in my vicinity. I'd also bet that these cycle helmets are more effective than many of the unbelievably low-quality motorcycle helmets that are available & occasionally used.

Watching the Bkk event on tv, I thought I'd slipped through a wormhole into a parallel world. Thousands and thousands of cyclists, but how many cyclists does one see on the streets of Bkk on a normal day- ZERO. So where did all the bikes come from??????? Perhaps the government bought bikes especially for the occasion. I once saw Pattaya policemen riding bikes in a Songkran parade- apparently a special cycle unit that had been set up, but after Songkran they were never seen again.

And how did they get everyone to wear helmets- give them out free? In a country where people will not wear helmets on m'bikes, it seems very strange to say the least.

No doubt by tomorrow I'll have slipped back into the Thailand I know, where only old ladies in villages ride bikes, without helmets.

And how did they get everyone to wear helmets- give them out free? In a country where people will not wear helmets on m'bikes, it seems very strange to say the least.

No doubt by tomorrow I'll have slipped back into the Thailand I know, where only old ladies in villages ride bikes, without helmets.

Riding a scooter as transportation is a necessary. Riding a bicycle in the rally today was discretionary. Completely different dynamic regarding helmets. Shouldn't be, but it is.

Also I don't know if helmets were mandatory to ride in the rally today. That could also 'splain a lot.

I spent a couple of enjoyable (but hot) hours at the starting point in BKK today. Rather than retype, post #36 are my impressions. And I was impressed...

1) Tens of thousands of people enjoying themselves. Maybe a hundred thousand, but they were scattered over quite a wide area.

2) Virtually all of them smiling and joking around. Not a sour puss in the bunch that I saw. In spite of the wicked hot sunny day.

3) Tons of bicycles that cost more than my pickup truck. A lot more. Proof that Thailand has an amazing bicycle market.

4) Lots of support services, including medical, security, information guys, bike repairs, traffic contol, etc. Yet not intrusive.

4) Traffic nicely under control and a whopping 5 minute detour in the taxi getting back to Asoke where I live.

6) A high percentage of them were gorgeous bicycle chicks- lots to fall in love with

7) As it turns out, bicycle chicks have amazing legs...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/848561-bike-for-mom-historic-event-set-to-start-making-world-record/page-2

Edited by impulse

Riding a scooter as transportation is a necessary. Riding a bicycle in the rally today was discretionary. Completely different dynamic regarding helmets. Shouldn't be, but it is.

Also I don't know if helmets were mandatory to ride in the rally today. That could also 'splain a lot.

I spent a couple of enjoyable (but hot) hours at the starting point in BKK today. Rather than retype, post #36 here are my impressions. And I was impressed...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/848561-bike-for-mom-historic-event-set-to-start-making-world-record/page-2

I was asking where all the bikes came from, as very, very few people ride bikes in Thailand, but they were able to produce thousands and thousands of them today.

Helmets weren't mandatory in Bkk. I saw quite a few not wearing one.

I was asking where all the bikes came from, as very, very few people ride bikes in Thailand, but they were able to produce thousands and thousands of them today.

I ride now at Lumpini and at Q Sirikit park, and there are a lot of riders each time I go. If you took the hundred or so that I see, and figure I'm there only a few hours a week, that's a lot of cyclists. I haven't even tried getting out to the other parks or the track at the airport.

Still, I was gobsmacked at the number of riders and the $$$$ of bikes today. There were a few groups that had brand new, identical bikes, but that was maybe 1-2% of the riders. The rest were a very mixed bag of street bikes, mountain bikes and folding bikes.

I suspect we don't see that many because riding on the streets of BKK is so stressful.

Edited by impulse

Didn't take part but went along as an observer in Nakorn Sawan today. A very well organised event and all seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. An old lady participant even gave me a flower and thanked me for coming.

Interesting to see that, in all the "Bike for Mum" photos I've seen leading up to this event and all the people I've seen on the road ready to take part today, there seems to have been almost 100% of participants wearing cycle helmets. Yet the wearing of crash helmets for the far more dangerous activity of motorcycling is, for all practical purposes, optional and usually ignored, at least in my vicinity. I'd also bet that these cycle helmets are more effective than many of the unbelievably low-quality motorcycle helmets that are available & occasionally used.

Watching the Bkk event on tv, I thought I'd slipped through a wormhole into a parallel world. Thousands and thousands of cyclists, but how many cyclists does one see on the streets of Bkk on a normal day- ZERO. So where did all the bikes come from??????? Perhaps the government bought bikes especially for the occasion. I once saw Pattaya policemen riding bikes in a Songkran parade- apparently a special cycle unit that had been set up, but after Songkran they were never seen again.

i suppose it is simply an indicator of how out of touch you are.

cycling is popular in Thailand, and not only in bangkok.

perhaps as a cyclist who actually rides his bike daily i am more likely to notice it than someone who draws his conclusions while watching the festivities in Bangkok on tv.

I ride now at Lumpini and at Q Sirikit park, and there are a lot of riders each time I go. If you took the hundred or so that I see, and figure I'm there only a few hours a week, that's a lot of cyclists. I haven't even tried getting out to the other parks or the track at the airport.

Still, I was gobsmacked at the number of riders and the $$$$ of bikes today. There were a few groups that had brand new, identical bikes, but that was maybe 1-2% of the riders. The rest were a very mixed bag of street bikes, mountain bikes and folding bikes.

I suspect we don't see that many because riding on the streets of BKK is so stressful.

i ride at one or both parks daily and yes, there are alot of cyclists around.

i also find bangkok to be a very easy city to ride in (on the streets) as drivers are already conditioned to motorcycles and tend to give bikes a significant amount of room.

as for the number of high end bikes, it is yet more evidence flying in the face of the old "8000 baht per month is the average thai salary" nonsense.

We had a great time at the BKK event today. Fantastic atmosphere created by lots of friendly people. For the thousands of participants this wasn't about trying to break records, it was about having a fun time. Very well organised and marshalled, and I didn't see anyone take a tumble. All week there have been smaller cycle gatherings in my area, and local schools were encouraging the kids to bring their bikes to school in order to take part in chaperoned group rides around the quiet back roads.

BIKE FOR MOM
Prince leads record bike ride

WASAMON AUDJARINT
THE NATION

30266717-09_big.jpg

Vast number of cyclists take part in 'Bike for Mom' rides in Bangkok and round the country; Guinness says eligible total is new world mark

BANGKOK: -- HUNDREDS of thousands of Thais yesterday cycled in Bangkok and other provinces nationwide to mark Her Majesty the Queen's 83rd birthday in a record show of loyalty led by HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn.

Almost 295,000 people registered in advance for the "Bike For Mom" event, consisting of 40,000 in Bangkok and 254,863 in the provinces, but the actual number of participants nationwide was higher, estimated at between 300,000 and 400,000.

According to Guinness World Records, the event had around 146,000 "eligible" cyclists - riding at the same time - so it |more than doubled the previous record set in Taiwan with about 70,000 participants.

In Bangkok, the Crown Prince presided over the opening ceremony at 3pm at the Royal Plaza. After blaring a horn to start the event, he and his daughter HRH Princess Bajrakitiyabha led the procession to the 11th Infantry Regiment in Bang Khen and returned to the starting point to complete the 43-kilometre route.

The other provinces held the event with varying routes and participants from all walks of life to express their loyalty to HM the Queen and the Royal Family.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and several Cabinet members joined the event, with the premier gesturing "I love you" with his hands at the starting point.

Deputy premiers Wissanu Krea-ngam, MR Pridiyathorn Devakula, Yongyuth Yutthawong, Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda, Justice Minister Paiboon Koomchaya and PM's Office Minister Suwaphan Tanyuvadhana were among the participants. Members of the Democrat, Pheu Thai and other political parties such as former PM Abhisit Vejjajiva also took part.

According to Guinness World Records, participants had to follow the rules to be counted, meaning they had to leave the starting point at the same time nationwide and had to bike continuously for a minimum of four kilometres.

"His Majesty the King and the Royal Family have greatly supported us scouts, so we want to express our gratitude to them" said Village Scouts director Pol General Somsak Khwaengsopa, who wanted to |complete the full course in Bangkok.

"Forty three kilometres is nothing to me, actually," said a vigorous 82-year-old Ruenkham Saen-in, who regularly travels from her northern hometown of Uttaradit to film a television programme in Bangkok.

"I've been riding a bicycle since I was 10, and nowadays I normally cycle about 28 kilometres a day. So riding this far in Bangkok is a piece of cake, compared with tougher paths in my village," she said.

But when asked to speak of the Queen, Ruenkham became emotional. "I'm so overwhelmed that I can't express it in words," she said.

Many children joined the event like a first-grade girl who had a pink bicycle adorned with the Queen's image and a |message that read: "Long Live the Queen".

"She saw TV ads and was tempted to come to the event," her grandmother explained while other cyclists helped the girl change a flat tyre.

"I can't join the rallies because of my knee condition. But I'm still bringing my son today to see the Crown Prince and the Princess. This is a rare occasion," said a mother.

Her son Tehapreud Weerawat said: "I'm excited to see them. And as a son, I will pay attention on my studies as a gift to my mother."

Military officers were also seen at the event, but in blue shirts and bicycle gears instead of their usual, formal attire.

"The Royal Thai Air Force encourages its officers to cycle to work once a week, so this event really fits our agenda." said First Lieutenant Pratya Kaewpanna.

"This cycling event encouraged us to show our unity, something that our country may seem to be lacking. But we can actually make it, as you can see today," he added.

"We have been enthusiastic about the event; we rehearsed it five times," said an Army officer. "Not only the Army, every Thai person can express their gratitude in their own ways."

Even foreign riders joined the event.

"I'm joining it because the roads today are great for biking, and I love biking to benefit my health," an American said. "It's also a great picture to see lots of people wishing to support the monarchy.

"I would like to get a themed blue shirt with the event's logo. Unfortunately, the registration website was all in Thai and I couldn't read it. That's why I came with my own dark blue shirt today."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Prince-leads-record-bike-ride-30266717.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-17

Bike for Mom goes into Guinness World Records

IMGP8582-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Guinness World Records billed the “Bike for Mom” cycling event on Sunday as the biggest simultaneous gathering of cyclists in the world beating the record holder Taiwan.

GWR recorded a total of 146,266 cyclists joining the Sunday’s event compared to Taiwan’s record of 70,000 cyclists.

However, Guinness World Records did not take into consideration more than 10,000 cyclists joining the event in Bangkok as the formation of the cycling procession did not meet the set condition requiring that the bicycles must not be four kilometres apart.

About 40,000 cyclists participated in the bike ride in Bangkok alone.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bike-for-mom-goes-into-guinness-world-records

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-17

BANGKOK: -- Guinness World Records billed the “Bike for Mom” cycling event on Sunday as the biggest simultaneous gathering of cyclists in the world beating the record holder Taiwan.

GWR recorded a total of 146,266 cyclists joining the Sunday’s event compared to Taiwan’s record of 70,000 cyclists.

However, Guinness World Records did not take into consideration more than 10,000 cyclists joining the event in Bangkok as the formation of the cycling procession did not meet the set condition requiring that the bicycles must not be four kilometres apart.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bike-for-mom-goes-into-guinness-world-records

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-08-17

so truth is 294k registered and 146k took part throughout Thailand?

so how did GWR count them? in each province? 40,000 in BKK I can understand but I don't believe GWR sent counters to every province

Edited by LannaGuy

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-08-17

so how did GWR count them? in each province? 40,000 in BKK I can understand but I don't believe GWR sent counters to every province

Each of us who joined got a bar-code, in Sukhothai they had over 3,000 bar-codes but we where closer to 4,000 riders so about 7-800 didn't count! We had to hand them in at the 5 Km mark (while riding) and there where witnesses from Guinnes checking at the registration, start, along the road, and where we dropped off the bar-codes.

post-202015-0-48836500-1439778264_thumb.

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-08-17

Each of us who joined got a bar-code, in Sukhothai they had over 3,000 bar-codes but we where closer to 4,000 riders so about 7-800 didn't count! We had to hand them in at the 5 Km mark (while riding) and there where witnesses from Guinnes checking at the registration, start, along the road, and where we dropped off the bar-codes.

that's excellent so the 146k figure is verifiable - can't have been organised by a Thai but by GWR probably - anyway well organised it appears

Edited by LannaGuy

I rode it here in Lamphun. Many thousands and it seemed well organized. The route was very well protected at intersections by police and volunteers. They passed out water along the route in at least a half dozen locations. No helmets weren't required but we're used by majority. I would call it a big success here.

They had only so many bar coded official rider registrations and along the route they setup a table to record passage of those individuals. That I believe was for purposes of the Guinness record. The several thousand unofficial riders like myself started in the 4th and last start group. So it doesn't appear that it was a matter of getting the biggest number of tallied riders, rather to hit a target number that they surely exceeded.

I'm for anything that gets people out on their bikes to builds driver awareness and acceptance for sharing the road.

watched the bike ride on tv for awhile. the commentary was more of a promotion for the prince than the event. I did not know what a good productive life he had. biggrin.png

The PR campaign has begun in urnest.

Just take a look at the BP headlines, amazing that flying a fighter aircraft is seen as a good cause.

But yesterday was a great event, well done to the Thai authorities is producing a fun, safe event.

"I would like to get a themed blue shirt with the event's logo. Unfortunately, the registration website was all in Thai and I couldn't read it. That's why I came with my own dark blue shirt today."

yeah, TIT and Thailand is best in the world, we dont care about anybody or anything outside of our country, never mind ASEAN...... English is not needed, that stupid fallang should have learned Thai.....

Did i forget something, yes, tip, please

tip for what i asked? because i had to take my shopping out the trunk of Taxi or that you took the double distance, scenic rout to my destination....tips is earned with good service and not just given because....

wai2.gif

watched the bike ride on tv for awhile. the commentary was more of a promotion for the prince than the event. I did not know what a good productive life he had. biggrin.png

The PR campaign has begun in urnest.

Just take a look at the BP headlines, amazing that flying a fighter aircraft is seen as a good cause.

But yesterday was a great event, well done to the Thai authorities is producing a fun, safe event.

As I posted on another thread the BBC did an interesting peice on the event with the prince centre stage.

I won't say too much but the report wasn't too complimentary and those who know LoS wouldn't have missed the finer points.

As I posted on another thread the BBC did an interesting peice on the event with the prince centre stage.

I won't say too much but the report wasn't too complimentary and those who know LoS wouldn't have missed the finer points.

I was told that the Bike for MOM event was his idea. Back when. Not to mention he is a prince and this is a monarchy.

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-08-17

Unclear reporting, so to recap:

1. 10,000 cyclist were not counted as they did not meet the condition required that the bicycles must not be four kilometres apart at the formation of the procession

2. 40,000 cyclists participated in the bike ride in BKK alone

3. The GWR record is now set at 146,266 cyclists?

How can the record be more than the number of cyclists who joined in the BKK ride?

They must have added up the cyclists of all "bike for mom" events around the country (40K in BKK, 100K around the country), fair enough.

But that would have to mean that all cyclists around the country were not more than "4 kilometers apart" (a the formation of the cycling procession) otherwise they should have been excluded like the 10,000 participants in BKK.

blink.png